Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a portrait format image as screensaver:  (Read 2809 times)

Dinarius

Using a portrait format image as screensaver:
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:27:11 am »

I want to use an image as a screen saver on my computer.

However, if I do it is stretched to fit and looks terrible.

How do I size it so that it occupies the middle portion of the screen (top to bottom - it's a DSLR image) with the rest of the screen neutral in some way?

Many thanks.

D.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 12:19:48 pm »

Are you on Windows or Mac?  And do you want a screensaver or a wallpaper?

If you're on Windows and want to use your image as a desktop wallpaper, then you can right click on the Desktop and click 'Properties'.  The tab second from the left is 'Desktop'.  You click on 'Browse' and select your photo.  Under that is 'Position'.  It can be either 'Center', 'Tile' or 'Stretch'.  If you select 'Stretch', and it sounds like you have, you'll want to change it to 'Center' instead.

Then click on the 'Appearance' tab.  Click on 'Advanced', and then click on the background colour in the window (default is dark blue).  Where it says 'Color 1', click on that and select 'Other'.  From there you set the HSL or RGB values, or simply mouse around to the colour you want, and add to custom colours.  Select that one, and it will change the background colour (behind your image) to that colour.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

01af

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 12:36:43 pm »

First, resize your portrait photo so the vertical dimension, in pixels, matches the height of the monitor, or a bit less (in Photoshop: Image > Image Size ...). Then expand the canvas so both the vertical and horizontal dimensions match the height and width of the monitor (in Photoshop: Image > Canvas Size ...).

There are more ways to accomplish this task but I think this is the quickest and easiest.

That said, it's a bad idea to use a photograph for a screen saver. A screen saver is supposed to protect the screen from any screen contents to burn in. The phosphors in modern CRT monitors are not as prone to this effect as they used to be, but LCD monitors are. The user's manual of my new LCD flat-panel monitor explicitly recommends to use a screen saver or to switch the unit off when idle for longer periods. To display a static image is exactly the opposite of what a screen saver is supposed to do. The ideal screen saver would be a black screen, plain and simple. Some coloured pixels performing some ruminant rendition are okay as long as they are not static.

-- Olaf

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:04:40 pm »

I believe the OP really meant "desktop wallpaper, or backround", I've heard countless people using the term "screensaver".  

In addition to setting to display backround to center, you'll also want to re-size the image to fit your screen resolution.

If you happen to be running XP, here's a nice color-scheme:

http://imagesbymurray.com/royal-noir.zip

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 01:57:48 pm »

The easiest is indeed to pad your image on both sides so that it becomes an horizontal. I run a reasonably successful wallpaper subscription service, and that's how I handle verticals. For an example, see this Koala image that is available for free download.
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards
Pages: [1]   Go Up