Poll

Have you had any hardware related problems with you MFDB

Yes I have had issues with my Hasselblad back.
- 7 (10.1%)
Yes I have had issues with my Sinar back.
- 2 (2.9%)
Yes I have had issues with my Phase One back.
- 7 (10.1%)
Yes I have had issues with my Leaf back.
- 11 (15.9%)
Yes I have had issues with my (other brand) back.
- 3 (4.3%)
No, I have not had any hardware issues with my back.
- 39 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware related problems with you MFDB  (Read 8816 times)

godtfred

• http://
Hardware related problems with you MFDB
« on: February 13, 2008, 06:33:28 am »

The poll is to show some numbers on hardware issues with backs. But it is not so useful without having some numbers on how market share is divided between the back makers. If anyone can point to a thread on market share, or info on the interwebs, that would be super. I won't summarize, you should make up your own opinion based on the info in this poll/thread.

Some rules:

*Please state the manufacturer and model of back in the thread if you take the poll.
*Please do not reply or take the poll if your back is not a CF card back (to keep things up to date and fairly recent.
*Please outline the problem and post wether or not the back was fixed by the manufacturer or another service centre.

The deal is short and sweet

Oh: And I had an issue with an H3D-39. It was an upgrade from a H2+CFH39 and just died. I would not touch the camera afterwards (it had been frequently serviced via software upgrades.) I never got to know the exact cause of the issues. I'm now a Phase P45+ owner (with several friends who own the H3D, and have no issues...)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:42:47 am by godtfred »
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 08:16:55 am »

I have had problems with Leaf Backs and Hasselblad backs.

The Leaf back I had problems with was a Valeo11 that now and than gave a black image.This continues for some takes after which it suddenly started working again. I also had images that had a green/magenta cast running from one side to another (with Valeo and Aptus backs). My Aptus back remained off towards the green. These are the only problems I ever encountered in about 4 years.

I have had problems with Hasselblad CF39, firewire cable is finicky because of its positioning it is very vulnerable. Annoying when it stops working. Fortunately it did at the end of a shooting day.

A little grayish line that appears in images under certain circumstances. Most annoying about this is that I am still waiting for the RMA number to send the back to Denmark for a repair. Allegedly this costs only about 400USD. So this is not solved yet and for the moment it will not because the 'season' has started. I now will wait until May to get it done, if Hasselblad is kind enough to send me the RMA details.

Most annoying part with Hasselblad H is the occassional lens error, communication error or firewire error.

On Flexcolor 8.4.4 my 384 doesn't do multishot for some weird reason. The options are greyed out.

To be frank most of my problems have been software or bad dealers (people that simply do not respond or promise stuff but never deliver).

I wish the people involved with MFDB's would be always as reliable as the backs themselves. IMO the 2 (3 if you count the H11 I used for a couple months) brands I have worked with are very reliable though I personally feel a bit more comfortable with Leaf (from a reliability point of view) even if I currently do not use them. Especially if you have any clue what you are doing yourself.

Sorry part of the experience has been with non CF-card backs  
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 08:22:44 am by Dustbak »

amsp

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 03:47:40 pm »

Mamiya 645AFD + P25. No problems whatsoever, rock solid performance.

TMARK

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 03:53:04 pm »

I've been renting backs for a few years. Never had a problem with a back. I did have an issue with my old AFd talking to an Aptus.  I had an H1 (body) act up.  I had an H1 die.  H2 seems fine.  I bought a P30+ which I shoot with an AFd, flawless thus far.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 04:02:25 pm »

It should probably have been divided into yes and no options, to get your percentages.

e.g.

- I have brand X and I have NOT had a problem
- I have brand X and I HAVE had a problem

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 04:02:45 pm »

Mamiya 645AFD and Phase P30.

Perfect marriage.  Flawless performance.

samuel_js

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 04:18:48 pm »

H2/P21, not a single problem.  

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 07:26:25 pm »

Mamiya 645 AFDII and Phase P30+

No problems - Love both!

don

Snook

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 07:45:10 pm »

I have had problems with Leaf Backs and Hasselblad backs.
The Leaf back I had problems with was a Valeo11 that now and than gave a black image.This continues for some takes after which it suddenly started working again. I also had images that had a green/magenta cast running from one side to another (with Valeo and Aptus backs). My Aptus back remained off towards the green. These are the only problems I ever encountered in about 4 years.

I have had problems with Hasselblad CF39, firewire cable is finicky because of its positioning it is very vulnerable. Annoying when it stops working. Fortunately it did at the end of a shooting day.

A little grayish line that appears in images under certain circumstances. Most annoying about this is that I am still waiting for the RMA number to send the back to Denmark for a repair. Allegedly this costs only about 400USD. So this is not solved yet and for the moment it will not because the 'season' has started. I now will wait until May to get it done, if Hasselblad is kind enough to send me the RMA details.

Most annoying part with Hasselblad H is the occassional lens error, communication error or firewire error.
They should change the name to HassleBlad, because it is a Hassle...:+}
Snook
AFDII,RZ, P30 pretty Flawless so far except for the occasional disconnect to C-1 (which is probably just software. Plus the occasional RZ loses connection to P30 and I have to twist the back sometimes??

On Flexcolor 8.4.4 my 384 doesn't do multishot for some weird reason. The options are greyed out.

To be frank most of my problems have been software or bad dealers (people that simply do not respond or promise stuff but never deliver).

I wish the people involved with MFDB's would be always as reliable as the backs themselves. IMO the 2 (3 if you count the H11 I used for a couple months) brands I have worked with are very reliable though I personally feel a bit more comfortable with Leaf (from a reliability point of view) even if I currently do not use them. Especially if you have any clue what you are doing yourself.

Sorry part of the experience has been with non CF-card backs 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174513\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They should change the name to HassleBlad, because it is a Hassle...:+}

AFDII,RZ, P30 Here... Pretty Flawless so far except for the occasional disconnect to C-1 (which is probably just software). Plus the occasional RZ loses connection to P30 and I have to twist the back a little  sometimes??

Snook

Jack Varney

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 08:24:54 pm »

Mamiya 645 AFD with Phase P45 and P45+ backs for three years. No problems.
Jack Varney

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 09:45:24 pm »

I do absolutely agree with Graham: this way would give much more interesting information.

Thierry

It should probably have been divided into yes and no options, to get your percentages.

e.g.

- I have brand X and I have NOT had a problem
- I have brand X and I HAVE had a problem
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174907\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 11:27:07 pm »

Firewire 800 port on A75S needed replacement due to loose fitting. One day turnaround under warranty. Besides this  a very smooth ride for 18 months. Aptus is bullet prove with Rz. My back is H1 version and whenever I put it on Hassy I do get error messages on almost every session requiring me to restart the camera or taking off the prism. With Rz never any errors. I just came back from Argentina where I was shooting a fashion story for Mercedes Benz in 90 plus degree F. Seven days of grueling intense shooting under lots of adverse conditions and pressure. Few thousands of images and not a single hick up. Just love it. Very important when you have over a dozen people looking non stop at your hands.
In  all fairness I previously used Phase One for seven years and never had any of the backs serviced.
http://AndreNapier.com

godtfred

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 04:52:09 am »

I do absolutely agree with Graham: this way would give much more interesting information.

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174968\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I know... thougth about it, but did not do it due to the fact that on "most" forums, people mostly leave negative feedback, and the positive ones are not given. This forum is different though  

It's too late for that, as LL won't change an already posted poll. C'est la vie.
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

woof75

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 10:03:34 am »

P21 with mamiya 645AFD, about a year, rock solid, not a single problem.

jimgolden

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 10:35:54 am »

H3D-22 no problems hard or software, tethered or not...

NicholasR

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 10:45:49 am »

Unfortunately yes,

4 weeks in on an H3D-39 refurb.  First was a total nightmare, crashed with various error codes constantly.  Did not even work tethered.  Had to completely exchange that one.  Second has been pretty solid.  I've had some errors and lockups.  Most of those have been in temperatures outside normal operating temps, so I can't really get too upset about that.  

On the good side, hassie overnighted me a new camera after my experience with the first.

I like the camera, but am not convinced about their refurbishment program.  If I bought it again (and I would buy it again) I would have just purchased new.  It seems as if the refurb program consists of putting the camera/lens/whatever in a new box.  Look, 'refurbished'  

I agree the poll really has no meaning, as we don't know market share of responders.  As you said though, such is life!

RicAgu

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 10:56:55 am »

H1 P25  Not a problem

H1 P45 Not a problem

H1 A75 WAY TOOO many problems, back based problems.

H1 CF39 all sorts of issues!

RZ P25/P45 with leaf plates and all sorts of connectors no problems

RZ CF39 all sorts of problems

Two H1 bodies and five lenses and not a problem.  Travelled the world over with the kit and (KNOCK ON WOOD) not one problem.

Manufacturers like Leaf and Phase would do well to make a plate that communicates with the Pro IID with out cables regardless of your original mount.

Instead of trying to sell their closed systems!  The RZ is a bullet proof staple of our industry.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:58:27 am by RicAgu »

PdF

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 11:51:39 am »

No problems with my differents Sinar backs. I will maybe buy soon a new one (54 H or 75 H). What is the most important: 33Mpix in 4 shots (75) or 88Mpix in 16 shots, when superheavy files are needed ?

PdF
PdF

NBP

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 07:28:18 pm »

I'm on an A65 (recently UG'd to a 65s) with an RZ ProII.
1 year now and honest to god, not a single issue. Tethered or CF.

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 07:43:55 pm »

No problems with my differents Sinar backs. I will maybe buy soon a new one (54 H or 75 H). What is the most important: 33Mpix in 4 shots (75) or 88Mpix in 16 shots, when superheavy files are needed ?

PdF
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175065\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I´d go for the 54H. no L moiree which you cant eliminate in 4 shot mode and so files look already cleaner with incredible resolution. but test the evolution, i havent done it.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up