Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Calibration Problem  (Read 2335 times)

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Z3100 Calibration Problem
« on: February 12, 2008, 04:39:43 pm »

I've got a new issue I've never had before with my z3100. I am currently running newest firmware and driver.

After running a successful calibration routine yesterday for HP Pro Satin (the calibration was out of date), I went to print some test images and I got the warning in the HP Print Utility that my calibration was out of date. I looked in the HP Color Center and even though the date listed the correct date of calibration (yesterday's date) the status said "Obsolete". I ignored the issue thinking that it was a fluke.

Today I am going to make some production prints and I decide to fix the calibration issue, so I run a calibration again on the HP Pro Satin which reports as successful. I check the Color Center and the date and status is good. I run a few small prints which look fine and take a lunch break.

On bringing up the HP Print Utility again to print some larger images this afternoon, I get the same "Obsolete" warning for the paper calibration. I check the Color Center and sure enough it reports today's date for the calibration but says it is obsolete.

Any help on the following questions would be greatly appreciated.

Am I running a calibrated paper routine? Does the printer care about the status or date? Is it only a reminder to the user? Are the calibration results stored and referenced by the printer regardless of either of these two report columns (date and status) in the driver utility?

Thanks,
Jim Cole
www.jimcolephoto.com
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 06:09:42 pm »

I've been using the Z3100 since May 2007, and I'd have to say it has the squirreliest driver I've ever seen. The various updates seem to squash one or two bugs while introducing one or two new ones for variety. It periodically seems to forget the difference between portrait & landscape and prints the wrong way, no matter what the preview shows.

I also get a lot of "obsolete" calibration notices. I've actually decided just to ignore them, and recalibrate papers only when...well, when it's been long enough it seems like it's time. I have yet to notice any color shifts, even when it's been 5 months or more without recalibrating some of my less frequently used papers.

Very nice website, by the way.

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 06:36:38 pm »

Have you Synchronized your papers using the HP Printer Utility?

Stewart

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 06:49:43 pm »

Geoff,

Looks like I'm not the only one with these erroneous messages. I guess I'll just calibrate each paper every 30 days just to keep things in line.

Thanks for the complement on my web site.

Stewart,

Thanks for the suggestion, but syncronizing the papers didn't do any good. They were already updated.

Jim
www.jimcolephoto.com
Jim Cole

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 03:01:56 am »

Geoff,

Looks like I'm not the only one with these erroneous messages. I guess I'll just calibrate each paper every 30 days just to keep things in line.

Thanks for the complement on my web site.
Stewart,

Thanks for the suggestion, but syncronizing the papers didn't do any good. They were already updated.
Jim
www.jimcolephoto.com
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So far I only lost the calibration data when heads were taken out for cleaning. The rest expires on the 30 ? days period.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

hubicka

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 08:15:36 am »

I had similar problem and it turned out to be bogus date&time in one of computers using the printer.  Apparently some timestamps are controlled by computer date&time, some by printer internal one and if they are not all in sync, the messages appear (but seems harmless otherwise)

Honza

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 08:50:47 am »

Ernst,

I did do head replacements last week, but that shouldn't have affected anything done this week. I can understand head replacements requiring new calibrations, though.

Honza,

I did just install, I think on Saturday, a simple 3rd party clock to replace the XP one in the system tray. It provides more info by reporting day, date, hour, minutes and seconds. Perhaps this is the cause of the miscommunication.

You may have at least answered the question as to whether the printer is actually using the latest calibration despite the "obsolete' warning. This is really all that matters.

Thanks for the responses,

Jim
Jim Cole
Pages: [1]   Go Up