Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 28mm Lens filter question  (Read 24217 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Mamiya 28mm Lens filter question
« on: February 12, 2008, 04:25:43 pm »

Can anyone who has this lens elaborate on what filters are available for it?  I understand it takes a 42mm gel style, but haven't been able to find many companies that make a 42mm gel.  

I am interested mainly in a ND filter, but also would be interested in any type of polarizer that would work.

Thanks
Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 05:12:29 pm »

Paul

I have a 28 which I truly love.  I used for the first time last December at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and never felt a need for a filter.  I just returned from Big Sur and Carmel and would have loved having a filter there.  I did a little research just after getting the lens and saw that no pre-cut filters were available.  I ordered a gel filter from B&H and attempted to cut it down to size.  The glaring problem I see with this lens is the filter system - frankly it sucks!  I'm experimenting with holding one of my Cokin filters up to the sunshade.  This may work if they are large enough - I might also have to tape up the shade so as to eliminate stray light.  

I'd like to hear from other who have this lens.

don

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 02:13:19 pm »

Gidday,

This could work using a Lee 4"x4" filter and holding it on with BluTak.

Not the prettiest solution but it works.

http://www.morco.uk.com/latest/leepol.htm

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 04:50:33 pm »

Gidday,

This could work using a Lee 4"x4" filter and holding it on with BluTak.

Not the prettiest solution but it works.

http://www.morco.uk.com/latest/leepol.htm

Cheers

Simon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174894\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Simon

You beat me to it!  After returning from Big Sur I thought the very same solution even going to Home Depot and picking up a roll of blue "painters" tape.  I tried it once using a cokin filter and think it'll work.  Agree that it might not be the prettiest solution but then neither is the guy behind the lens!  

Cheers!

don

ternst

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 10:16:14 am »

Did any of you guys come up with a solution to using a polarizer on the Mamiya 28mm? Will the large Cokin ones work, or the Lee? I don't mind taping one of their holders to the front of the lens if I would be able to just drop in a polarizer when needed - or would I have to tape it each time the filter is needed? I also don't really mind holding a polarizer in front of the lens without taping it on, although being able to stick it into a taped-on holder would be better. I don't have this lens yet so can't measure, but what size filter would I need to cover the entire front element - would a 105mm do it? I don't use anything but a polarizer so don't need any others (like the 4 x 4's).

THANKS for your thoughts!

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
http://www.BuffaloRiverGallery.com

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 12:33:17 pm »

I'm not sure if this is a perfect solution, but wanted to pass this along.  Take a look at teh B+W 105mm Kaeseman Linear Polarizer Extra Wide Glass.  It has a filter factor approx. +1.3 stops.
The part # is 65-062129.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

ternst

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 12:51:18 pm »

Thanks Chris. I've been looking at that one and the 112mm filter as well. Do you know if that 105mm will cover the entire angle of this lens? I still would prefer a method of taping a Lee or Cokin holder to the lens and then just adding a rotating filter when needed - hum, I wonder if you could somehow "crop" one of these normal polarizers into one of the Lee or Cokin holders? I have one of the big Cokin holders and filters sitting around here somewhere but not the lens...

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 01:35:09 pm »

I'm not sure if this is a perfect solution, but wanted to pass this along.  Take a look at teh B+W 105mm Kaeseman Linear Polarizer Extra Wide Glass.  It has a filter factor approx. +1.3 stops.
The part # is 65-062129.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

I don't have one of the polarizers in stock, so I'm not sure if it will cover the 28mm completely.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 08:44:05 pm »

The inside diameter of the petal lens shade is about 87 mm. The inside diameter of the lens cap which goes around the shade is 90 mm. One possibility would be buy a spare lens cap, cut out all but the ring that grips the shade, and tape a 4 inch gel to it. Not elegant but cheap!

I've done this in the past with a 15 mm Leica lens and it worked for years.

Bill

Can anyone who has this lens elaborate on what filters are available for it?  I understand it takes a 42mm gel style, but haven't been able to find many companies that make a 42mm gel. 

I am interested mainly in a ND filter, but also would be interested in any type of polarizer that would work.

Thanks
Paul C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174334\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ternst

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 10:24:54 pm »

Thanks for those measurements - that helps. However that would not be a cheap way to get off - have you priced one of the spare lens caps? That would probably work just fine for a gel but I'm talking about a polarizer. I got a used 112mm B+W that I'm just going to hold in front of the lens for now until I can find a more elegant solution. If anyone has figured it out I would love to hear about it...

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 10:29:42 pm »

"The inside diameter of the petal lens shade is about 87 mm. The inside diameter of the lens cap which goes around the shade is 90 mm. One possibility would be buy a spare lens cap, cut out all but the ring that grips the shade, and tape a 4 inch gel to it. Not elegant but cheap!"

Very interesting!  Just checked B&H and the lens cap is $31.00 and is a special order.  On the surface this sounds like a very simple solution – being cheap I’m going to look around for other light weight cheaper materials that will do the same thing.  Either case I think we might be on to something here.

don

Just checked Cokin thinking I had remembered them having a special adapter.  The adapter is for lens with damaged threads and fits on the outside – that’s the good news and bad news is that it says it fits lens up to 84mm.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 10:36:52 pm by Iron Creek »

ternst

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 11:26:52 pm »

Don, I guess I must have put a 1 in front of that lens cap price - I thought for sure it was over $100 at B&H. That is not a bad price at all. I'm shooting a lot of waterfalls right now and would sure miss a polarizer if I could not use one.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 11:54:33 pm »

Don, I guess I must have put a 1 in front of that lens cap price - I thought for sure it was over $100 at B&H. That is not a bad price at all. I'm shooting a lot of waterfalls right now and would sure miss a polarizer if I could not use one.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179475\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just double checked the B&H price - it is $31.00 and they are accepting orders.  I also had a thought about a mailing tube but they are either a tad too small or too big.  You'd need a 3.5" opening to fit.  The lens cap is looking better and better..

don

ternst

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 07:04:43 pm »

A bit of an update on the polarizing filter issue. A 112mm polarizer held tight against the front of the lens hood won't work at all - I just tried it and you can see the entire filter. I'm not sure your lens cap rig will work either...

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 03:50:45 pm »

I just recently a couple new Cokin Z-Pro filters (100x150mm) and just yesterday tried them out on the Mamiya 28mm lens.  I shoot the 28 on a P30+ so I also have the Mamiya crop screen in my viewfinder.  I found that I could hold the filter up to the sunshade and if I was very careful have the filter cover the image.  The 100x150mm filters just come to the very sides of the crop lines so there's not a lot of room for errors (which showed up on a couple images).  All in all, I say that if you are using a 28 with a P30 then using the crop screen you should have little problems.

I've also decided to pick up a spare lens cap in order to retrofit to see if I can come up with a more stable way to hold the filters.  Stay tuned as I'll keep those who are interested updated.  This is an important project for me as the trip to Alaska is coming up shortly.

The images contain no post-processing whatsoever they were opened in Bridge then converted to JPEG.  Image 1 shows the filter slipped away while #2 shows it as it should have been.

Sample 1
[attachment=5579:attachment]

Sample 2
[attachment=5580:attachment]

don

ternst

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 07:38:41 am »

Looks like you can get away with this with the p-30 but I don't see anything working on the p-45. I would love to hear if anyone does find a solution. I really do miss a polarizer with this lens. Too bad. Thanks!

Tim Ernst in Arkansas

j.miller

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 09:58:13 am »

I have found a possible solution, however I have not had a chance to test it. Here goes:

The Cokin X-Pro Filter holder can be affixed to various lenses with traditional screw-in adapter rings. In addition, Cokin has a Universal Ring (# X499) for the X-Pro holder, which uses four (4), nylon-tipped thumbscrews to clamp around the outside diameter of a unusual lens or accessory. This adapter ring will easily accommodate the size and unusual shape of the Mamiya AF 28mm D lens. This adapter ring also allows you to fit the entire filter holder assembly as close to the front element as possible. In fact, will the universal adapter ring, a good portion of the filter holder is behind the front element, as you four (4) thumbscrews are clamped to the rear of the built-in lens hood of the Mamiya 28mm lens.

If I recall, the Cokin X-Pro Glass Circular Polarizing filter is approx 120mm in diameter. This additional diameter over traditional screw-in filters, while being placed as close the front element as possible, might do the trick.

I have used this exact filter holder combination on the Canon and Nikon 14mm f/2.8 lenses, attaching it to the built-in hood with the X-Pro Universal ring, and eliminated vignetting all together. Considering these lenses have a wider angle of view than Mamiya 28mm, there might be some potential here.

As some of you might be aware, the X-Pro system is noticeably better (in regards to construction, design, precision, and filter quality) than the smaller format systems from Cokin. If you can find a dealer who has some Cokin X-Pro stock, take a look!

Once I have a chance to try this out, I will be sure to report back.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

Looks like you can get away with this with the p-30 but I don't see anything working on the p-45. I would love to hear if anyone does find a solution. I really do miss a polarizer with this lens. Too bad. Thanks!

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181664\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:01:33 am by j.miller »

ternst

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 07:11:57 pm »

The Cokin X-pro system will not work with a p-45 back and the 28mm Mamiya, at least not for a polarizer. The actual glass part of their x164 polarizer is 119mm wide - when placed up flat against the lens hood you can see the full rim of the polarizer in all four corners. I just tried it and it looks terrible. I don't know of any other polarizer that is wider, and even this rig won't really fit well using the universal adapter ring since the screws have to be so long to reach. So it is back to the drawing board. Paul C. told me of a company that will cut off the front of the hood, which would allow the filter to be held closer to the front element, but I have a feeling even that would not be enough - the shallow part of the tulip hood goes back behind the front element, which tells me that even if you had the filter flat up against that bubble element it would not be enough coverage. I guess they had to compromise to make this lens so good, but how could they do without a polarizer is beyond me...

If anyone else finds a solution I would love to hear about it! Thanks...

Tim Ernst in Arkansas

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 12:59:56 am »

Here’s my current plan at least for my setup which includes a P30+.

I’ve ordered a lens cover from B&H (still waiting for it to arrive).  I’ve looked at the current cover and placed a Cokin Z 77mm ring up to the rear opening.  The way I figure it is that once the spare lens cover gets here, using a dremmel I’ll cut the solid end off leaving the ring.  I’ll super glue (or something) the 77mm ring adaptor to one end thus allowing me the use of the Z filter holder.  The way I figure it is that by putting the frankenlibby ring on the lens (much the same way you’d put the normal uncut lens cover on) that has the ring adaptor permanently attached to it I should be able to use the Z filter holder and use any of my filters.  If not all I’m out is the cost of the lens cap ($31 US) and my time.

If it works it’ll help those shooting with the P30 and I’ll post images; if it doesn’t I’ll hang my head in shame  

don

Henry Goh

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 03:56:29 am »

Wouldn't some Velcro solve this problem?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up