Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interview with Jay Maisel  (Read 11129 times)

ecemfjm

• http://www.manuelfernando.es
Interview with Jay Maisel
« on: February 12, 2008, 01:19:17 pm »

Hi,

I'm on the process of viewing part 2 of the Jay Maisel interview (part one still downloading) and I find very tiring to see it. It is because the camera shakes more than moves. It is very frustrating not being able to fix sight on a single picture or plane due to that. A, by the other aspects, excellent report, has become a painful experience, at least for me. It looks as filmed on a rush by an amateur. Why didn't you use a tripod?

Regards

Manuel

michael

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 04:15:42 pm »

Firstly, the formal interviews were shot on a tripod. Three cameras. Three tripods.

Secondly, the space in some of his rooms was so small that three people could barely fit, let alone tripods.

Thirdly, much of the shooting was with a mobile camera as we moved from room to room. This can't be done with a tripod.

Michael
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:16:07 pm by michael »

jwhee0615

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 05:17:23 pm »

While I didn’t find it tiring it did cross my mind as to whether Chris has any type of small steady cam device. Not that it would have been able to be maneuvered either but it would have been smooth walking down the halls. Great interview by the way and wow, what a place he has!

Alexis Alvarez

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/madame_suzuki
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 05:35:52 pm »

Where can I access the interview?

Thanks.

aa

michael

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 05:48:21 pm »

Where can I access the interview?

Thanks.

aa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174359\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's part of Video Journal #17 available from the site's store as a $9.95 download.

Michael

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 05:54:44 pm »

I watched it on my 51", didn't notice a thing.  Maybe it's more noticeable on a monitor.  I liked the interview BTW.  I am SO jealous of his awe insipring building...OMG.

TMcCulley

• http://
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 07:53:23 pm »

I watched the HD version and was not uncomfortable with the mobile sections.  I have watched it twice and will probably watch it again some time soon.

Tom

PS The building would be great anywhere but NYC with some of the highest real estate prices in the country.  I bet maintenance is a bear.

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 02:43:45 am »

I watched part one and part two HD on my EIZO and thought it was great. Certainly beats TV!!!

Jay is certainly an interesting character, someone who we could all learn alot from!

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 05:55:20 am »

I watched part one and part two HD on my EIZO and thought it was great. Certainly beats TV!!!

Jay is certainly an interesting character, someone who we could all learn alot from!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174461\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Completley 100% agree.

Given Hollywoods recent propensity for hand held shots that make MTV look like steadycam it was a welcome change to see handheld footage that was actually enjoyable to watch.

I watched them on my 26" 2690 NEC and I didnt even notice the camera movement. I was way to involved in the interview.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

ecemfjm

• http://www.manuelfernando.es
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 09:47:28 am »

Completley 100% agree.

Given Hollywoods recent propensity for hand held shots that make MTV look like steadycam it was a welcome change to see handheld footage that was actually enjoyable to watch.

I watched them on my 26" 2690 NEC and I didnt even notice the camera movement. I was way to involved in the interview.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174501\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It seems that I'm someway out because it seems that I'm the only one who dislikes handheld shots. But for me there were more than words in the interview. They talked about pictures hanging on the walls and I couldn't even fix my attention for a fraction of a second on any. Maybe you could, but not me.

Perhaps it's the age...

Manuel

DarkPenguin

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 01:55:15 pm »

I watched it on my 51", didn't notice a thing.  Maybe it's more noticeable on a monitor.  I liked the interview BTW.  I am SO jealous of his awe insipring building...OMG.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174374\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That was pretty cool.  The place kept going and going.

JMCP

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 02:12:53 pm »

It seems that I'm someway out because it seems that I'm the only one who dislikes handheld shots. But for me there were more than words in the interview. They talked about pictures hanging on the walls and I couldn't even fix my attention for a fraction of a second on any. Maybe you could, but not me.

Perhaps it's the age...

Manuel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174537\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have noticed in quite a few of the journals seemingly shaky shots (tops of heads appearing and then disappearing) but when I have played the dvd's on other dvd players, the shake has disappeared, I think it may be to do with the NTSC playback on PAL sytems. I haven't watched VJ#17 but I can imagine handheld shots looking even worse due to this.

cheers John

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 06:34:27 pm »

I just started with LLVJ 16 and definitely noticed all the camera movement in the Intro_Gallery clip. It won't stop me from buying more back issues and future issues, because I find the overall quality (content and presentation) excellent. However, I definitely wondered about all that movement in some of the "gallery" scenes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up