Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: printer review  (Read 6333 times)

woof75

printer review
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:47:54 am »

Hi, I just read the review and as someone who really cares about IQ I was wondering how this new printer stacks up and all I got was: "Simply put, the image quality differences are there; they are visible, but as mentioned in the section about gamut, they are for the most part minor. "
So tell me about these image quality differences, there are people that spend there lives searching for tiny improvements in search of perfection. I have to say that I think you have become a little nervous about pinning your opinion to the fence. I understand why this is the case, I have watched you get battered for posting opinions on image quality of various products that other people dont agree with but thats the nature of it, stand up and tell us what you think. As a working professional I understand that there are many other things than IQ that come into play when deciding on equipment but IQ is very important, dont shy away from your opinions on it.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
printer review
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 06:56:49 pm »

I have to say that I think you have become a little nervous about pinning your opinion to the fence. I understand why this is the case, I have watched you get battered for posting opinions on image quality of various products that other people dont agree with but thats the nature of it, stand up and tell us what you think. As a working professional I understand that there are many other things than IQ that come into play when deciding on equipment but IQ is very important, dont shy away from your opinions on it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174225\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The challenge here is those very minor differences are subjective, and dependent on many factors (which paper you like for example).  I believe he stated that IQ most likely would not be a useful measure by which to make a purchase decision. After using both the ipf6100 and 11880 for several months myself, I believe this is a completely accurate and fair assessment.  I know people don't like to hear this, and it sounds like a cop-out.  Everyone just wants to hear which is better and why so they can make an easy decision.

From where I sit, with very little bias or loyalty to either machine and using both frequently without much regard to which one I use (just depends on which location I'm working at) I would agree completely with Michaels assessment.  Both printers produce incredible quality, and even side by side direct comparisons are virtually indistinguishable from each other. Do I believe one is better?  Yes, I believe for a perfectionist the Epson printer is very slightly better ... Michael used the word quibble and that's pretty accurate as far as the difference.

There are many other factors to consider, but in the case of an 11880 to x100 series printer, I believe there is only one major one, cost.  Ink clogs, ink swaps, and even speed do not factor into the decision between these two printers anymore. The 11880 at 2880dpi and uni-directional printing is pretty much flawless, with no visible dithering an any tonal range, perhaps slightly sharper in some limited circumstances, and with perhaps a slight edge in detail in low contrast shadow and midtone regions.

Is that quality difference worth $11,000?  That's again personal. If you are a perfectionist, and need the mental reassurance that there is no way to get a higher quality print ... despite the fact you probably can't visually see it, then perhaps.  Maybe it helps you in selling your services, and you charge enough to justify the machine.  In my case I bought it because I'm one that just always wants to own the latest and greatest, cost be damned.

Of course, this is just my humble 0.02 opinion.  Probably not much help.

michael

printer review
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 09:39:38 pm »

Wayne – "ditto", of course.

People don't like to hear that the differences between high end equipment is so small as to almost defy differentiation, but such is the case. As I wrote in my Canon review the meaningful differences lie in other factors besides IQ.

Michael

woof75

printer review
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:01:13 am »

Wayne – "ditto", of course.

People don't like to hear that the differences between high end equipment is so small as to almost defy differentiation, but such is the case. As I wrote in my Canon review the meaningful differences lie in other factors besides IQ.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174967\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No they don't but why wouldn't you state the differences? You say the differences are so small as to almost defy differentiation, thats typical of what happens when you get to the high end but the key word here is almost which suggests that there are differences so why wouldn't you tell us about them?

TMcCulley

• http://
printer review
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 01:10:50 am »

No they don't but why wouldn't you state the differences? You say the differences are so small as to almost defy differentiation, thats typical of what happens when you get to the high end but the key word here is almost which suggests that there are differences so why wouldn't you tell us about them?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176647\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I suspect the reason that you are not getting the answer that you want has to do with the fact that any differences that exist fall inside manufacturing tolerances for the printers and the paper used, the quality of the software components used by a given user, the skill of the user, and the environmental conditions that existed.

Quoting Wayne "using both frequently without much regard to which one I use" tells you what you really need to know.  If that is not satisfactory (and I understand why it would not be) then get out your meanest and toughest image and pay Wayne to print it on both printers.

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up