Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Hasselblad HD3-39  (Read 11928 times)

adamdbates

• http://www.shutterspeedtravel.com/
Problem with Hasselblad HD3-39
« on: February 10, 2008, 12:46:06 pm »

I have a two month old HD3-39.  It has been fine up until today.  I was trying to take some shots and the images as shown on the rear screen were completely black.  I downloaded these onto my Mac and they were completely black, not just a very dark photograph!  Nothing at all.

The camera sounds like it is working OK.  The mirror seems to flip up, I think I can hear a shutter going off, but nothing is being recorded by the sensor.

The only step I have done differently is to clean the sensor with a blower.  I took the sensor unit off the camera, blew air at the sensor to clean it then replaced the sensor unit on the camera body.  Looking at this again, I see that at the rear of the body is a black cloth sheet of some kind.  As the Hasselblad lenses have their own shutters, I assume that this is a cover which goes up when the sensor back is taken off.  Could this be stuck blocking the sensor?

Is there a reset button somewhere?

Anyone with any ideas?java script:emoticon(':(')

j.miller

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 01:41:04 pm »

Adam,
     Here are few trouble shooting measures to go through:

1. Fire the camera and confirm that the lens (shutter and aperture blades) are working properly. At a slower shutter speed, and stopped to f/8 - f/11, you should be able to see this by looking into the lens  in a well-lit environment.

2. Connect the camera to computer. Launch FlexColor and allow the camera to connect, confirm firmware. Wait to see if the camera connects properly. FlexColor might require a firmware install for the camera. Proceed with this, and allow the firmware install process to finish. Once complete, fire the camera a few times, and see if you can get proper exposures in FlexColor.

3. Download and install the latest version of Hasselblad FlexColor (v4.8.4), (FlexColor link) and connect the camera to computer. Launch FlexColor and allow the camera to connect, confirm firmware. You will more than likely be required to upgrade the firmware, as I am assuming you are using a previous version of FlexColor. This firmware install will more than likely fix the problem. Again, once the install is completed, go ahead and fire the camera a few times.

What version of FlexColor are you using currently? Have you ever connected the camera to computer and shot tethered?

There is an auxiliary shutter in the body, which is the cloth cover you see when the digital component is removed. Considering the age of the camera, it is not likely that is the problem.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have more specific questions.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

I have a two month old HD3-39.  It has been fine up until today.  I was trying to take some shots and the images as shown on the rear screen were completely black.  I downloaded these onto my Mac and they were completely black, not just a very dark photograph!  Nothing at all.

The camera sounds like it is working OK.  The mirror seems to flip up, I think I can hear a shutter going off, but nothing is being recorded by the sensor.

The only step I have done differently is to clean the sensor with a blower.  I took the sensor unit off the camera, blew air at the sensor to clean it then replaced the sensor unit on the camera body.  Looking at this again, I see that at the rear of the body is a black cloth sheet of some kind.  As the Hasselblad lenses have their own shutters, I assume that this is a cover which goes up when the sensor back is taken off.  Could this be stuck blocking the sensor?

Is there a reset button somewhere?

Anyone with any ideas?java script:emoticon(':(')
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173749\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:03:53 am by j.miller »

adamdbates

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 03:02:57 pm »

Jordan

Thank you for all that.  I have updated my Flexcolor (as you guessed, I was on an older version.  This caused the camera / sensor to be updated.  I have tried firing the camera tethered as well as "normal".  

The problem remains.  I set the shutterspeed to one second and F8.  As you say looking down into the lens enables you to see the aperture closing down for the time the shutter appears to be open.  So the aperture does close down, less easy to see if the lens shutter is operating.

The image is effectively black with no hint of the subject making me think one of the shutters is not working.  

Kind regards

Adam

Adam,
     Here are few trouble shooting measures to go through:

1. Fire the camera and confirm that the lens (shutter and aperture blades) are working properly. At a slower shutter speed, and stopped to f/8 - f/11, you should be able to see this by looking into the lens  in a well-lit environment.

2. Connect the camera to computer. Launch FlexColor and allow the camera to connect, confirm firmware. Wait to see if the camera connects properly. FlexColor might require a firmware install for the camera. Proceed with this, and allow the firmware install process to finish. Once complete, fire the camera a few times, and see if you can get proper exposures in FlexColor.

3. Download and install the latest version of Hasselblad FlexColor (v4.8.4), (FlexColor link) and connect the camera to computer. Launch FlexColor and allow the camera to connect, confirm firmware. You will more than likely be required to upgrade the firmware, as I am assuming you are using a previous version of FlexColor. This firmware install will more than likely fix the problem. Again, once the install is completed, go ahead and fire the camera a few times.

What version of FlexColor are you using currently? Have you ever connected the camera to computer and shot tethered?

There is an auxiliary shutter in the body, which is the cloth cover you see when the digital component is removed. Considering the age of the camera, it is not likely that is the problem.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have more specific questions.

Regards,

Jordan Miller
Digital Technology Group, Inc.
(800) 681-0024 toll free
(813) 889-0660 office
(813) 507-9173 mobile
jordan@DTGweb.com
www.DTGweb.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173767\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nick-T

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 03:46:40 pm »

Jordan

Thank you for all that.  I have updated my Flexcolor (as you guessed, I was on an older version.  This caused the camera / sensor to be updated.  I have tried firing the camera tethered as well as "normal". 

The problem remains.  I set the shutterspeed to one second and F8.  As you say looking down into the lens enables you to see the aperture closing down for the time the shutter appears to be open.  So the aperture does close down, less easy to see if the lens shutter is operating.

The image is effectively black with no hint of the subject making me think one of the shutters is not working. 

Kind regards

Adam
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173783\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Is the auxiliary (rear) cloth shutter opening? If it is, and you are still getting black frames I would suspect the contacts between the back and body.
Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 03:48:23 pm »

The problem remains.
Take the back off, and fire the camera at a couple of seconds exposure with the aperture around 5,6-8. Can you see through the camera and lens while doing this (point it towards a lightsource)?

If you can see through the camera while the shutter and help shutter is open, and then not when it closes, you can exclude this as the source of your black frames and focus on the digital bit (back and communications between back and body.)

Check the gold plated circuits and clean them all (body has on both sides, lens has on rear and db has on front, viewfinder has on bottom.) Check operation to CF card (rules out firewire problems.)

Make sure your battery is fully charged as well. If none of this works, you may try to downgrade and upgrade the firmware again, but I'm not up to speed on exactly what you need to do...

(You beat me at the finish line there Nick)  

Is the auxiliary (rear) cloth shutter opening? If it is, and you are still getting black frames I would suspect the contacts between the back and body.
Nick-T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173792\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:50:09 pm by godtfred »
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

j.miller

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 04:16:23 pm »

Adam,
     As godtfred indicated, you want to look at all of the contacts found on the camera body and components. Understand, there are contacts on each component (back, prism finder, lens, battery) which line up with a complimentary set of contacts on the camera body. You will notice some are raised, spring-loaded contacts, these compliment a set of fixed contacts. Check all of the spring loaded contacts, and be sure they are all in-line, and none are stuck, in a recessed position. Also clean these contacts, along with all of the fixed, flat contacts on the adjacent components.

You should be able to fire the camera body in Manual exposure, without a back attached. You must have a lens attached. As godtfred indicated, if you watch these components open and close during the exposure, the shutter / aperture / auxiliary shutter are working properly.

When shooting tethered, are the images still coming out black?

If you are still have issues. Connect the camera to the computer, and launch the previous version of FlexColor. This will initiate yet another firmware install. Follow those installation steps through completion. This will "downgrade" your firmware to the appropriate version for that version of FlexColor. Check camera, and see if operation is back to normal.

If not, disconnect camera and close that previous version of FlexColor. Reconnect camera, and launch FlexColor v4.8.4. Follow firmware install procedure through completion. Check camera...

Regards,

Jordan Miller

Jordan

Thank you for all that.  I have updated my Flexcolor (as you guessed, I was on an older version.  This caused the camera / sensor to be updated.  I have tried firing the camera tethered as well as "normal". 

The problem remains.  I set the shutterspeed to one second and F8.  As you say looking down into the lens enables you to see the aperture closing down for the time the shutter appears to be open.  So the aperture does close down, less easy to see if the lens shutter is operating.

Kind regards

Adam
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:03:39 am by j.miller »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 01:38:36 am »

I have a two month old HD3-39.  It has been fine up until today. 

Anyone with any ideas?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173749\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you have wasted more than an hour of your (billable) time thinking about this problem phone you dealer get, them to bike over a loaner and get them to sort your kit out ?

No luck ?  demand a full refund and buy from a different dealer

Just one idea
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

adamdbates

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 06:04:30 am »

Thanks for the comments.  It is back with Hasselblad now and I am awaiting their comments.  The nice lady at the Pro Centre in London could not see what the problem was, she reloaded the software etc.  No still no idea what the issue is.  Anyway, when I hear I will let you know.

Adam

If you have wasted more than an hour of your (billable) time thinking about this problem phone you dealer get, them to bike over a loaner and get them to sort your kit out ?

No luck ?  demand a full refund and buy from a different dealer

Just one idea
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173900\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

stewarthemley

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 08:27:21 am »

The nice lady at the Pro Centre in London...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174502\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If that's Nicky West you'll be ok. I "imagined" a problem with a new lens (my stupid mistake - the lens was fine, unlike its owner) and she had couriered (is that a word?) a replacement on the way within an hour. It's my experience that ProCentre are great dealers, and have great prices to match.

valtteri

• http://www.valtteri.net
Re: Problem with Hasselblad HD3-39
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:40:18 am »

Hi!

I have the same problem with my H3D II 39. Tried with 3 lenses and a different back. Long story short; The problem is in the back. Any clue what it could be and will I get bankrupt repairin it? How did this story end?

br, V
Pages: [1]   Go Up