Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Displaying mixed landscape/portrait images  (Read 3682 times)

RobertoR

Displaying mixed landscape/portrait images
« on: February 10, 2008, 05:34:39 am »

Many of my shots have a portrait orientation, and of course they are displayed in a smaller size on conventional landscape oriented monitors.
At present I'm using two 15" CRT's , one of them physically turned 90°, run Pivot Pro to turn the image on it, then run two copies of Breeze Browser to display vertical and horizontal images separately on the two monitors.
Is there any simpler solution to display images on a same monitor while constrainig the horizontal images to the same size of the vertical images?
I do not want to resize the files for that.
I've read that ACDSee has a Maximum displayed size function, but I was unable to find this function in it.
Thank you for any information about that, both for Windows, which I'm using now, and for Mac, which I'm considering for a migration.

nosredla

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:35:08 am »

I recently read some instructions from Aperture magazine for submitting entries to a competition they are running. They were concerned that photos taken in portrait mode should not be disadvantaged by a smaller display size than those in landscape mode.

Their instructions were to add a border to all submitted photos that would make the overall image square - thus the size of all images would appear the same within the border regardless of orientation. I forget the exact instructions, but they can be found on their website if you look for the competition instructions, but be quick because the competition expires soon.

Adding a border is easily done in software like Photoshop, Elements, or Corel PSP.

dalethorn

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 09:10:02 am »

I have two 19" flat screens on a Dell PC, one horiz. and one vertical.  I run IrfanView which is the best, fastest, most efficient viewer with the best settings for how you want to view.  I can run two or more sessions simultaneously, and I have a separate listing for horiz. and vertical images since I do the same on other devices besides the Dell.  The Dell screens are an interesting technology that I hadn't experienced before, but they really work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up