Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Realis X700  (Read 14498 times)

dcra4

Canon Realis X700
« on: February 08, 2008, 07:59:22 pm »

Our camera club (www.memphiscameraclub.org) is considering the purchase of a Canon Realis X700. Any members of this forum have any experience with this projector? From the specs it appears to be an excellent projector for quality photographic images.

Any comments will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Canon Realis X700
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 02:52:28 pm »

Our camera club (www.memphiscameraclub.org) is considering the purchase of a Canon Realis X700.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173422\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The Realis projectors are my top recommendation for those that can afford them - they are incredible! LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) projectors offer the quality, color fidelity and sharpness that DLP and LCD projectors could only dream of. Their color fidelity and gray balance is very good without calibration and are even better when calibrated with the EyeOne Beemer. I've measured the color gamut and it is huge - very nearly the same as AdobeRGB. At maximum resolution (1600x1200) the image quality is surprisingly about the same as it is at their native resolution. Once you use one of these you'll be hooked! Highly recommended and worth the extra expense.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

dcra4

Canon Realis X700
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:22:42 pm »

Our SX 700 arrived today. I've only had a chance to work with it for an hour but I must say I'm very pleased with the quality of the unit and the projected image right out of the box. With a little experience I'm looking forward fantastic projected images compared to our old Dell 2300MP. (realizing that for many hundreds of $ more we could do better... maybe) All-in-all, cost value considered,  I think the club will be very satisfied with our new projector.

Dale

keithrsmith

Canon Realis X700
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 03:58:20 am »

Can someone help me on the Canon Projectors.

I am told that the SX series ( also called the Realsi ) cannot be calibrated.  This is (again I am told) that the projector will readjust itself to its own calibration each time, thus undoing any system calibration.  I can find nothing on this anywhere else, so does anyone know more?

Keith

dcra4

Canon Realis X700
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 10:39:54 am »

I am told that the SX series ( also called the Realsi ) cannot be calibrated.  This is (again I am told) that the projector will readjust itself to its own calibration each time, thus undoing any system calibration.  I can find nothing on this anywhere else, so does anyone know more?

Keith
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176842\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With our SX 700 it will compensate for the color of the surface being used as a screen, but only if you activate the auto function that controls that feature. Otherwise it does not alter its settings in any way.
Hope this is helpful,
Dale

Robin Balas

Canon Realis X700
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 09:18:49 am »

I am told that the SX series ( also called the Realsi ) cannot be calibrated.  This is (again I am told) that the projector will readjust itself to its own calibration each time, thus undoing any system calibration.  I can find nothing on this anywhere else, so does anyone know more?

Keith
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176842\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can calibrate it. And all changes made by autofunctions will be stored in the menus as numbers so you can see if something has changed, and simply return the values to whatever you desire. There is no invisible parameters changed during this autocalibration which is optional.
As to calibrating I can mention that on a Mac on a DVI connection the SX60 we use provides a standard ICC profile to the Mac and it even provides an corrected 2. ICC profile corrected for the calibration you have done. Note it is on Mac only and only on DVI connection and you have to plug it in in the correct way and jump through hoops to make this feature work, but it is there when you fiddle with the setup a little. The profiles provided are not very good though so although the idea is super, the execution is not. Make a custom ICC profile with the X-Rite beamer or Colorvision product and it is very decent. I use a calibrated EIZO CG210 as my color reference and the match without said tools and calibration is not good, although it is miles better than most other stuff out of the box.
This line of REALIS projectors SX5,50,500,6,60,600 and possibly the 700 which I haven't tested are GREAT for showing pictures on and for computer use if you make a custom ICC profile. It is not great for home movie use when compared to other dedicated projectors in the same price range as it is a 4:3 chip and the black point a bit bright for a darkened room. During daytime it is quite good though. I have only read about using a ND filter for lowering the black point so I can't say it will work - but it might be worth a try to get it suited for a darkened room showing a picture show as well as the sRGB mode is with the Iris locked open, and that is a bit bright.
MHO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up