Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunset  (Read 3154 times)

theanalyst

Sunset
« on: February 08, 2008, 02:26:52 am »

Hi again,

Many thanks to those who reviewed my last effort - I think I have learned much.

I wonder if I could have some opinions on the quality of this pic (reduced from a >10mb raw) and some suggestions regarding post processing. Apart from the conversion I haven't touched this picture at all.

Shooting info: EOS400D, 1/40s, ISO100, F22, 72mm (using Sigma 50-500). MLU and cable release.

berbig

• http://www.bigtonfoto.no/
Sunset
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 02:35:31 am »

Nice colours, but the composition is not as good as it could have been.

The horizon divides the picture in two halves, and the sun is in the exact centre. That gives the picture to much balance - it doesn't get interesting.

I think I would have waited until the boat had come nearer to the sun, and if you have a longer lens you could even get the boat a bit larger.
If you then put the boat and the sun on each side of the centre and the horizon away from the middle of the picture, I think it would improve the picture a lot.

But that is only my opinion and I have a lot to learn my self, so I could be wrong.

My native language is Norwegian. That's why my English is not good. Sorry :-)
Bernt Bigton
Norway www.bigtonfoto.no

theanalyst

Sunset
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 04:12:57 am »

Nice colours, but the composition is not as good as it could have been.

The horizon divides the picture in two halves, and the sun is in the exact centre. That gives the picture to much balance - it doesn't get interesting.

I think I would have waited until the boat had come nearer to the sun, and if you have a longer lens you could even get the boat a bit larger.
If you then put the boat and the sun on each side of the centre and the horizon away from the middle of the picture, I think it would improve the picture a lot.

But that is only my opinion and I have a lot to learn my self, so I could be wrong.

My native language is Norwegian. That's why my English is not good. Sorry :-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175205\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Many thanks for your comment berbig

I was busy thinking "what beautiful colours" and congratulating myself for the water reflections but I didn't look at the picture as a whole. If you were less polite you would have said something like "Yawn! Just another sunset"

The 500mm lens is plenty long enough but as the boat was at anchor I might have been waiting for some time until your suggested composition came to be!

Please don't apologise for your English - remember that most native English speakers have only one language and generally use that badly! Your English in this comment is excellent and many native speakers would do well to learn from you.

Thanks again, I truly appreciate your kindness in your comment.

Ivan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up