Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM  (Read 2438 times)

nexus6

Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM
« on: February 06, 2008, 08:23:47 pm »

I have been wanting to get a wider piece of L series glass (i love my 70-200 2.8 IS) for a long time i have been tossing up between the 24-70 2.8 or 24-105 F4. Now i do a fair amount of band photography which is generally low light lvl stuff so the wider arpature is worth more than the IS i think. also there is a limit to how slow you can shoot most musicians doe to their movement. I also didnt realy consider the EF-S stuff as i was looking to the future when i can afford a 1 series camera. however that isnt going to happen for a while, and i have heard some great things about the  17-55mm F2.8 IS. its not L series but i have read that is just about as good. Ill be using it on a 30D.

so anyway has anyone here used this lens and how do they rate it?

Panopeeper

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:52:47 pm »

I don't know about the glasses, I have only some L lenses, and some others, like the EF-S 17-55.

When the question of "L qualification" came up, the official answer of Canon was, that only a full frame lens can have the red ring. Furthermore, the EF-S lenses don't have the same sealing as the L lenses.

The EF-S 17-55mm is a super lens. I wanted a very sharp wide zoom, so I ordered the 16-35mm f/2.8L II (the new model) and the 17-55mm together, with the agreement that I send back one of them. I tested them a week long with hundreds of boring shots against each other and against the Canon 50mm f/1.4, the Tamron 28-75mm (my copy is excellent) and the Sigma 20mm f/1.8. I compared the fine details in non-demosaiced raw format to see as close as possible what the lens (and the sensor) delivered.

The 15-55mm is virtually equivalent to the 50mm f/1.4 in sharpness, which is the sharpest I had in this range. In the shorter lengths it was equivalent to the 16-35mm, and I stress it, that was the new model. The Sigma is not in the same league.

Disclaimer: I did the sharpness comparisons with f/4.6-f/8, as I am not interested for the performance wide open.

CA is strong in both the 17-55 and 16-35mm (not worse than with my other shorter lenses). The 17-55mm is less prone to flaring; this may be due to the specific hood, which is shaped for the smaller angle of view.

Some examples of the bokeh are here: http://www.panopeeper.com/Bokeh, comparable with a few other lenses.

If one consideres the IS, then there is no question: the 17-55mm does not have any serious contender. Plus, it is much cheaper than the 16-35mm.

There is one problem reported repeatedly: the lack of good seeling. When zooming out, the lens extends and breathes the air into the inside, unfiltered. Some owners have sent their lens to Canon for cleaning, but if one has to do that repeatedly, one needs two lenses - plus it gets costly after the warranty exiration (and the shipping...). Someone grew tired of that and took the front of the lens apart and cleaned it - and found the source of the problem as well. I will do the same, when it comes to that point.

Note, that the hood has to be purchased extra.
Gabor

Mike W

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:44:44 am »

I've used it, my school has a few sets of 40D's with this lens.

Very sharp in the 35-55 spectrum.
Almost L-lens quality
not that sharp at 18mm, but the FF equivalent (canon 28mm prime, non-L) isn't that sharp either.

I'd give it a 7.5 - 8 (out of 10)

hope it helps.

Mike

Mike W

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 06:47:06 am »

To add, It does pretty good at wide-open I think, I usually don't use lenses wide-open...but I wanted to measure the depth of field on a 1.6 crop sensor.

It holds up better than I expected to say the least.

nexus6

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 06:52:57 pm »

ok thanks for the input guys, i think i will definatly get one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up