Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: LLVJ-17 Download  (Read 69944 times)

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
LLVJ-17 Download
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2008, 02:49:52 pm »

Many areas don't have the option, yes.  Many, MANY more areas do have the option.

Just because you don't want to pay for it doesn't mean it's not there.  

Sure, if you live in bumfudge Iowa you are limited.  In more poulated areas, there is plenty of competition.  I'm not near any major city, just a regular ol suburb in a little unincorporated city.

I get cable modem, two DSL and Verizon FIOS.

Serivces start at $19.95 and that's fast enough for any single user, a multitude faster than dialup.

lbergman

LLVJ-17 Download
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2008, 07:41:41 pm »

Many areas don't have the option, yes.  Many, MANY more areas do have the option.

Just because you don't want to pay for it doesn't mean it's not there. 

Sure, if you live in bumfudge Iowa you are limited.  In more poulated areas, there is plenty of competition.  I'm not near any major city, just a regular ol suburb in a little unincorporated city.

I get cable modem, two DSL and Verizon FIOS.

Serivces start at $19.95 and that's fast enough for any single user, a multitude faster than dialup.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184729\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

"Want to pay for" I think is a matter of opinion. Ability to pay for isn't for way too many.

If that rate is what you pay, then I envy you. Absolute cheapest where I live (major metro area) is $32 for realistic DSL ($29 if you commit for 2 years - with no upgrades). Cable is somewhere around $45-50. I'd much rather pay an extra $10 to Luminous Landscape and receive a DVD, then to pay an extra ~$600 over 18 months to a monopoly just for the ability to download it. BTW, that $$$ will buy some extra camera gear, or to actually go somewhere interesting and use it.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
LLVJ-17 Download
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2008, 07:54:18 pm »

I pay $45 for a much faster service than the basic and am more than happy to do so, it's enough bandwidth to do anything I want to.  I certainly don't have it just to download the LLVJ, and if that's the only thing you can think of to use a modern broadband connection for, than I completely agree it's a waste of resources for you to join us.  You are obviously in the same group as my parents, relegated to casual email and light surfing only on the internet.

I use it for MUCH more than that, and it is critical to my life, being a large part of my business and income, along with entertainment.

If you are seriously saying that $45 or so a month breaks your budget, then I don't know what to  tell you.   I don't mean to make fun of you if that's so, but man that's tight!

Somehow I doubt most people that are down to that constrained a budget are concerned with a LLVJ in the first place.  More like, getting enough grocery or gas money for the month.

lbergman

LLVJ-17 Download
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2008, 07:53:17 am »

I pay $45 for a much faster service than the basic and am more than happy to do so, it's enough bandwidth to do anything I want to.  I certainly don't have it just to download the LLVJ, and if that's the only thing you can think of to use a modern broadband connection for, than I completely agree it's a waste of resources for you to join us.  You are obviously in the same group as my parents, relegated to casual email and light surfing only on the internet.

I use it for MUCH more than that, and it is critical to my life, being a large part of my business and income, along with entertainment.

If you are seriously saying that $45 or so a month breaks your budget, then I don't know what to  tell you.   I don't mean to make fun of you if that's so, but man that's tight!

Somehow I doubt most people that are down to that constrained a budget are concerned with a LLVJ in the first place.  More like, getting enough grocery or gas money for the month.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184813\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dude, I could pay it if I wanted to, but I'm talking about more than just myself. I'm very glad for you that you make enough that you can pay the inflated rates that we're being charged. Granted, I don't have a business that depends on fast access, but for me, I personally think it just isn't worth it the price the providers are asking (yet). Compare the US to other first-world countries like Japan or those in Europe. From what I've been told, they get far faster interest for a lot less money. So...why is this country so expensive? Why isn't there more competition? Why isn't it priced like phone service, but more like a "premium" service?

Obviously I'd use broadband/DSL for more than just downloading LLVJ. But there's nothing I HAVE to have it for right now. You also seem to making the error in assuming that high-speed is as common and normal as land-line phone service, that every Tom Dick and Harry has it, and I'm saying that just isn't so. Access doesn't count in my book. Actual subscribers does.

iancl

• http://www.iancoxleigh.com
LLVJ-17 Download
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2008, 08:44:56 am »

Actually, it's more an option for those with higher disposable income (in my view).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184728\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting. I first went to DSL when it became cheaper than Extra Phone Line + Dial-Up. I had previously discovered that I was online enough that people couldn't reach me by phone consistently.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
LLVJ-17 Download
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2008, 02:09:04 pm »

I have FIOS, 15MPS down and 15MPS up. It rocks! Much better than the Compcast service that I had before. $49.99/month.

Bud James
North Wales. PA
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
LLVJ-17 Download
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2008, 02:35:28 pm »

One situation has a limited inconvenience distributed to people who do not watch the show on a display connected to a computer. The other situation concentrates a lot of inconvenience and cost on a small group of people.

--dilip
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184691\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Its not a question of convenience, its question of cost.  I don't mind paying more for a finished ready-to-play product.  I don't subscribe to the view that everything has to be "downloaded".  I spend most of my working life in front of a computer and I like the idea that I do (or did) not have to engage in a download-and-DIY exercise in order to enjoy the excellent LLVJ.

Quentin
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 02:38:20 pm by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Paul Sumi

LLVJ-17 Download
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2008, 08:24:18 pm »

It does not matter if download is "simple" (something of a subjective test); for me it defeats the object.  Sometimes form is as important as content.  Keep the DVD option and reinstate subscription renewals is my preference.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm with Quentin on this one.  Not everyone wants to live on the bleeding edge of technology.  While I *could* do it, I'm really not interested in downloading huge amounts of video content for hours then jumping through hoops just to watch it.

I want simple.  I just want to pop a LLVJ DVD into the player and watch it.  But after my subscription runs out (I didn't take the option to switch from DVD to download), I guess I'll have to wait until downloading content is as easy as viewing a DVD.

Paul

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
LLVJ-17 Download
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2008, 08:45:43 pm »

Just my thoughts - but...I prefer download ANY day.

Instead of waiting weeks at the mercy of the post office - I can download and enjoy immediately.

If I want to play it in my theatre [as I often do] then I just burn a DVD. I store a copy on my server and can access it from any networked PC in the house - or even via VPN from my office if I so desire. Its a helluva lot more convenient than waiting for a plastic disc in my opinion. And its a helluva lot easier than trying to find the DVD amongst my collection.

Good on Michael for embracing the technology for download. And good on LL for offering a 2:1 changeover deal.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:48:34 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

JMCP

LLVJ-17 Download
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2008, 03:23:57 pm »

No, but my guess is in about 4 weeks - I am still waiting for the music to be completed fr the Antarctica piece
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179816\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chris,
any new time frame for when the LL VJ17 DVD will be getting sent out ?

Cheers John

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LLVJ-17 Download
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2008, 09:56:51 pm »

any new time frame for when the LL VJ17 DVD will be getting sent out ?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195072\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
All DVDs were shipped mid-April. Contact if you have not yet received yours

JMCP

LLVJ-17 Download
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2008, 06:01:06 pm »

All DVDs were shipped mid-April. Contact if you have not yet received yours
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195136\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the reply Chris. I will email customer services and find out whats up.

Cheers John
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up