Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharpening 1DS MKIII files in Lightroom  (Read 2636 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Sharpening 1DS MKIII files in Lightroom
« on: February 06, 2008, 07:39:28 am »

I got an opportunity late this afternoon to get out and shoot some shots with the new 1DS MKIII. What an absolute joy this camera is to use!

Anyway.. processing them in Lightroom shows what I think is a good advantage in color rendtion / saturation over the MKII; better color gradation and shading - maybee the 14 bit?

The files seem to need more sharpening though than 5D files - which typically I found a lower setting of 40-60  Radius 1 Detail between 25 and 50 on average worked very well. Tripod mounted with mirror lock up for landscapes.

1DS MKIII files show a need for much more though.. up around 80-100 Radius 1 Detail between 50 and 80 in my brief experience so far today - Tripod mounted with mirror lock up for landscapes. They do sharpen up beautifully though - better than 5D files - which no doubt is just due to the increased resolution.

What are other 1DS MKIII owners finding for Lightroom sharpening is working well?
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:35:49 pm »

I got an opportunity late this afternoon to get out and shoot some shots with the new 1DS MKIII. What an absolute joy this camera is to use!

Anyway.. processing them in Lightroom shows what I think is a good advantage in color rendtion / saturation over the MKII; better color gradation and shading - maybee the 14 bit?

The files seem to need more sharpening though than 5D files - which typically I found a lower setting of 40-60  Radius 1 Detail between 25 and 50 on average worked very well. Tripod mounted with mirror lock up for landscapes.

1DS MKIII files show a need for much more though.. up around 80-100 Radius 1 Detail between 50 and 80 in my brief experience so far today - Tripod mounted with mirror lock up for landscapes. They do sharpen up beautifully though - better than 5D files - which no doubt is just due to the increased resolution.

What are other 1DS MKIII owners finding for Lightroom sharpening is working well?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172691\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And does anyone know how the reccomended Unsharp mask settings from Canon:

Low ISO initial Unsharp Mask suggestion — Amount 250%, Radius 0.3~0.5 pixels, Threshold 1
• High ISO initial Unsharp Mask suggestion — Amount 250%, Radius 0.3 pixels, Threshold 4~5

Translate to Lightroom settings?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 12:55:11 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:16:17 pm »

I've never really liked Lightroom's handling of sharpening or noise reduction that much, As such, I generally leave the default sharpening where it is, perhaps boosting "detail" ever so slightly, and use it as "capture sharpening". The reason being that Lightroom, for me, is only the first stop in image processing, not the last, so I prefer not to sharpen until the end.

As for noise (which I know you didn't ask), I'll set luminance to about 25 for just a degree of noise reduction. Like sharpening, I prefer to work in Photoshop.

The big plus with both Mark III's I've found is that skin tone are much smoother than before, and I have less "retouching" to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up