Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Michaels comments about MFD  (Read 51780 times)

Michaels comments about MFD
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 06:11:03 pm »

I was astonished by the almost silence regarding the above mentioned as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172776\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe you are talking about Tim Tucker?

TMARK

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 06:16:57 pm »

Deleted
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 11:48:26 am by TMARK »

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 06:26:45 pm »

Yup, Mark Tucker.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you just making things up? Or what?

The guy selling the stuff mentioned above posted this link:

[a href=\"http://timtuckerphotography.com/]http://timtuckerphotography.com/[/url]

Either Mark's on here playing games, or you guys are fantasizing.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:28:30 pm by 203 »

BJNY

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 06:45:02 pm »

I'll take one of each:
-9 micron 22MP, 70 frames per minute (a la Aptus 54), amazing high I.S.O. performance (a la Nikon D3).
-9 micron 56x56 1-4-16shot, 50 frames per minute.
Each should have a video camcorder-type flip-out swivel 3" screen (Nikon D3 quality).
Guillermo

TMARK

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 06:54:16 pm »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 11:43:09 am by TMARK »

palmerson

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 06:56:03 pm »

I'm pretty happy that with whatever system over 22MP I could use my work for 97% of the possible usages and now again could concentrate 100% on producing interesting, telling images again.
Personally I don't need more – not for fine art, fashion, magazine covers or advertising or whatever.
If a client wants/needs more MP then there is more money in the pot so that I can easily rent gear. Everybody should use the equipment that suits him best. I mean, images are what it is all about.

Personally I'm pretty happy that the upgrade rat race is over or slowing down. It had to be like that the past years because the quality was still to bad compared to film. But here we are - more or less!

I personally prefer MF for many reasons that have been named here several times so I don't want to repeat this. But I can absolutely understand if the work of somebody is demanding the use of a dslr. And maybe he produces more touching and beautiful images with his 10mp nikon, than I ever will with my back.

I also know a few HiHigh Fashion PGs who only use a 1DSMKII and produce fantastic images with it. Somebody told me even Testino shot something with a 1. And I also would bet that a lot of superstars worry more "what and how" rather than "with what" they shoot.

Just my two copper coins.

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 08:04:49 pm »

don't think there is a real need for higher MP...

but I am almost sure it will happen...

Look at your spam mail box and what you'll find is that size matter... bigger better tool... just that will be enough...

and if the race stop in MF I would like to see how my client with a 25MP P&S camera would react if he figure out that I shoot with a 22 MP or less...  

yesterday I was watching 'How it is made' and it was about the CCD sensor in photography, Dalsa plant was the one filmed, with a ZD displayed actually. and I hear about 1xx MP sensor. But my dog barked at that time and I could get how MP exactly neither if it was for photographic equipment...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 08:05:50 pm by david olivier »

jpjespersen

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 10:02:05 pm »

My Leica M8 is a lot sharper than my Phase One p45+ when shooting handheld below 1/500 second.  Anything higher than 39 MP will be for tripod users, a.k.a. landscape, nature and product photogs, just like 4x5 back in the day.  Just my opinion.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 10:15:09 pm »

My Leica M8 is a lot sharper than my Phase One p45+ when shooting handheld below 1/500 second.  Anything higher than 39 MP will be for tripod users, a.k.a. landscape, nature and product photogs, just like 4x5 back in the day.  Just my opinion.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172881\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just wondering what camera are you using with the phase?  I can get sharp pics from my Rollei 6008 at 1/60 without trouble and 1/30 on many occasions provided I use the mirror up.  Actually I can do better with my rollei than I can with my leica DMR or Canon 5D.
Rolleiflex USA

jpjespersen

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 10:23:44 pm »

Don't get me wrong, the P45+ is much, much sharper and higher resolving, obviously, than the Leica M8, however I know that in order to get the ultimate sharpness I need to use a tripod with the mirror up function.  I am using a Mamiya AFD II mostly with 120mm Macro, I also use Schnieder digital 120mm macro and 4x5 camera.  http://www.p45plus.typepad.com
Just wondering what camera are you using with the phase?  I can get sharp pics from my Rollei 6008 at 1/60 without trouble and 1/30 on many occasions provided I use the mirror up.  Actually I can do better with my rollei than I can with my leica DMR or Canon 5D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172884\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:24:07 pm by jpjespersen »

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 01:05:15 am »

I think we need a section for Tucker Stalkers in the MFDB area...

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 02:15:14 am »

How many? in my point of view, none will be gone by next year. I sincerely agree with Michael just about every time, but not this time.
PhaseOne is the technological leader of this niche (I hate this term). And now closely working with Mamiya, they will only get more atractive for a wide gamma of photogs in every level of expertise and budget power. They are not going.
Hasselblad is the commercial leader in digital medium format. Totally surrounded by immense marketing and the best support. They are not going either.
Leaf, Sinar, Rollei and F&H just invested in a new system that defies Hasselblad's own guts. If I had to think about who's at stake, it would be LSRF&H. Their new system is amazing but horribly expensive. but in a world where a company like Yahoo is worth the GNP of 20 countries, 10K usd entrance fee (film) can be money change for some and a few more. So, I think they will succeed and will get profitable in short.
Who else? Digital medium format Fuji is in crio, dmf Pentax is sleeping a long winter in Transilvania.
Those gone will be missed. Those alive today will be here for the next 50 years, at least.

Eduardo

Adina

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 03:08:00 am »

yesterday I was watching 'How it is made' and it was about the CCD sensor in photography, Dalsa plant was the one filmed, with a ZD displayed actually. and I hear about 1xx MP sensor. But my dog barked at that time and I could get how MP exactly neither if it was for photographic equipment...

Hi,

look here:

http://www.photoscala.de/node/1838

GOOGLE Translation:

"The Canadian company DALSA is managed according to its own figures, the world's first image sensor with a resolution of more than 100 million pixels to produce. He remains, however, the science reserved

How DALSA in a press release dated 19 June 2006 commodities, it is the company managed to a CCD with 100 million pixels, and thus far the highest resolution image sensor in the world to produce. He was sent to the client Semiconductor Technology Associates (STA) in San Juan Capistrano, California, delivered.

The active area of the CCD measures approximately 10x10 inches and has a resolution of 10.560x10.560 pixels (111 megapixels). STA has this chip for Astro Division of the American Naval Observatory (Astrometry Department of the US Naval Observatory - USNO). He is the USNO in the determination of position and careers of stars and solar systems and in the celestial reference help."

Greetings
Adina

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 03:16:19 am »

Those alive today will be here for the next 50 years, at least.

Eduardo
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172924\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I doubt any of the current players will be around either at all or in their current form in 50 years.

Michael is right, there will be more changes over the next few years.  The MF digital market is vanishingly small and highly competitive.  It will soon be smaller still.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 03:26:28 am »

Gidday,

What I would like to see is a 6x7cm chip.

So my Mamiya RZ would be full frame and my Mamiya 645 AFD II could take advantage of the sweet spot.

Now that would be awesome.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2008, 03:33:15 am »

Dear Eduardo,

Check the published prices: not any more expensive than the other comparable system available.

Best regards,
Thierry

Leaf, Sinar, Rollei and F&H just invested in a new system that defies Hasselblad's own guts. If I had to think about who's at stake, it would be LSRF&H. Their new system is amazing but horribly expensive.

Eduardo
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2008, 03:35:00 am »

nothing new Adina, it was announced in June '06 and well known.

Thierry

Hi,

look here:

http://www.photoscala.de/node/1838

GOOGLE Translation:

"The Canadian company DALSA is managed according to its own figures, the world's first image sensor with a resolution of more than 100 million pixels to produce. He remains, however, the science reserved

How DALSA in a press release dated 19 June 2006 commodities, it is the company managed to a CCD with 100 million pixels, and thus far the highest resolution image sensor in the world to produce. He was sent to the client Semiconductor Technology Associates (STA) in San Juan Capistrano, California, delivered.

The active area of the CCD measures approximately 10x10 inches and has a resolution of 10.560x10.560 pixels (111 megapixels). STA has this chip for Astro Division of the American Naval Observatory (Astrometry Department of the US Naval Observatory - USNO). He is the USNO in the determination of position and careers of stars and solar systems and in the celestial reference help."
Greetings
Adina
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172927\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2008, 04:01:14 am »

If I had to think about who's at stake, it would be LSRF&H.

Well, Leaf is owned by Kodak - a company with sales of around $10 billion.
Sinar is owned by Jenoptik, which has sales of around $700 million.
I believe Hasselblad is owned by Shriro which has annual sales of around $400 million

The financially vulnerable players are Phase and Mamiya, afaik.
Mamiya is owned by Cosmos Scientific Systems (anyone have sales figures?)
Phase One is management owned.

As long as they can turn a profit, they should be fine but if there are tough times ahead, these companies may be the first to be forced to close down.

Phase is doubly fragile because they rely on another company to produce cameras to work with their backs. Mamiya is the only such producer left, and they can close the door on Phase at any time.

amsp

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2008, 05:55:26 am »

Phase is doubly fragile because they rely on another company to produce cameras to work with their backs. Mamiya is the only such producer left, and they can close the door on Phase at any time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172939\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Close the door on phase? Did you miss the fact that they've joined forces or something? Man, you guys are some silly ***** with your wild speculations.  

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 05:59:52 am »

Close the door on phase? Did you miss the fact that they've joined forces or something? Man, you guys are some silly ***** with your wild speculations. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172946\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It wasn't a prediction or speculation, it was just a statement of fact. Any business partnership can change.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up