Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Michaels comments about MFD  (Read 51828 times)

tgphoto

Michaels comments about MFD
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2008, 05:14:24 pm »

The AD and CD stand around under different lighting conditions (simulated day light, tungsten and flourescent) and examine the print with a magnifying glass for sharpness and color.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173092\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
OK, I have a question...

What the hell is an AD or CD doing looking over your shoulder in the first place!  YOU'RE the photographer...what do they hope to achieve other than pure intimidation?  If they have such little trust in your ability to deliver, something's not right.

I've shot for several high profile clients and it is well understood that the only persons allowed on the shoot are the photographer (me), my assistant(s), and occasionally a studio tech or studio manager.  

Having an AD on site only opens you up to potential problems (like the AD changing his mind from what was already agreed upon in the contract you made him sign).

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2008, 05:44:18 pm »

SO there are three major forces right now - Hasselblad, F&HLS, and Mamiya/Phase.  How much more consolidation could REALLY happen? 

Hasselblad - has made it clear what they think of their customers in recent months by axing support for H1 and H2, and their sights are clearly set on a digital-only future.  Those of you with shiny new H3Ds and H3DIIs...how long before an H4D comes along and they pull the plug on supporting your rig?

F&H, Sinar, Leaf - seems Thierry is the only person who think their equipment is in line with the rest of the competition.  Sorry, Thierry, but the prices I have seen in the US don't jive.  Bottom line is, a new system at a higher price point = a gamble.  This conglomerate will need to focus on strengthening its existing customer base and leveraging its existing relationships within the professional photographic community if it wants to keep its head above water.

Mamiya/Phase - They had no choice to but to pair up given the circumstances  But this duo, to me it seems, offers the most bang for the buck.  Mamiya had the foresight to see a need to introduce a MF rig at a pricepoint that would be attractive to those shooting FF 35mm.  They also realized they needed to support their existing customer base, hence the separate ZD back.  Phase One has always supported Mamiya, and is the only company that still offers open support for multiple systems.  As long as Mamiya keeps focusing on breaking with convention, and Phase continues to innovate, they're not going anywhere.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What you are saying about Hasselblad dropping support for the H1/H2 could not be more incorrect. With the Hasselblad Customer Care Program, Hasselblad has committed in writing to supporting H1/H2 cameras for years, and that is regardless of whose back is attached. See below:

"Under the Extended Service Option, in addition to standard Hasselblad service policies, you are guaranteed service and spare parts for all H1 and H2 products for a minimum of 10 years from the date of purchase. It also includes a product renewal/replacement guarantee for 5 years from time of purchase covering catastrophic situations where your camera is lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair.

The Trade-up Program allows all existing H1 and H2 camera owners to trade up to one of a variety of the most recent model configurations for a special price.
Please note that the Trade-up Program also includes very favorable trade-up options for owners of H1 and H2 cameras and third party digital backs.

The Refurbishment Program provides a factory check of the camera body consisting of maintenance and cleaning as well as repair or replacement of any components that require attention. All electronics will be replaced or upgraded to the most recent H2 standards and this service includes a 12 month full product warranty from date of refurbishment. After registering your camera body at www.hasselblad.com/hcare, you will receive a voucher giving you a one-time-only option to have your camera body refurbished for only $1,349 at any time through December 31, 2011.

No one buying an H3DII has any reason to be concerned that the shipment of H4D's will signal the end of support for the H3D/H3DII. In addition to the H1/H2 Customer Care Program, Hasselblad continues to support and service digital backs from years and years ago, and further, continues to boost features for those older, legacy products from 5 and 6 years ago via free firmware upgrades.

I believe they have done an outstanding job with their committment to supporting and servicing legacy products.

Honestly, I have no idea who will be "left standing". But you have to remember these companies that offer advanced technology often take a long time to die.

[a href=\"http://tinyurl.com/35ogm5]http://tinyurl.com/35ogm5[/url]

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

snickgrr

• http://
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2008, 05:57:11 pm »

OK, I have a question...

What the hell is an AD or CD doing looking over your shoulder in the first place!  YOU'RE the photographer...what do they hope to achieve other than pure intimidation?  If they have such little trust in your ability to deliver, something's not right.

I've shot for several high profile clients and it is well understood that the only persons allowed on the shoot are the photographer (me), my assistant(s), and occasionally a studio tech or studio manager. 

Having an AD on site only opens you up to potential problems (like the AD changing his mind from what was already agreed upon in the contract you made him sign).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173114\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

?
Having not only Art Directors but also agency suits and clients is the rule, not the exception.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 07:45:22 pm by snickgrr »

Eurotographer

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2008, 06:22:20 pm »

Phase just laid off 20% of their work force in DK, mostly on the software side.  their Alliance with Microsoft is turning into an acquisition by Microsoft.  

Phase One, the DB portion, is for sale for $20,000,000, not very much in my opinion.

Phase One just cancelled a huge order with Kodak for 39mp sensors, sources say, and prices show, that they over extended themselves in their trade in/ups and have way too many of the non-plus backs in inventory to sell.

For the first time ever, Broncolor has published their own catalogue in the US, I hear they are distancing themselves from Sinar due to the inevitable demise of their MFDB systems.

These are the recent "Tea Leaves" I've read

Toby1014

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2008, 06:28:57 pm »

yes, it is ridiculous.

You seem to forget: Sinar has the largest system, from LF to MF, with MFDBs, lenses and accessories, and has the largest LF installed base.

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173000\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting POV Sinar has the largest system and the least amount of users, what kind of conclution can you make of this statement ?

In speculations everything can happen. I dont think beeing a part of a large company helps much. Kodak can suddenly deside to close down LEAF if they dont turn a profit, the same goes for Jenoptik and Sinar. Phase could be sold to Kodak or Microsoft. Fuji will break up with Hasselblad and make their own system open for everyone. Who knows, it is all speculations.

Lets hope for the best: Hy6/AFi will be a succes, Hasselblad will open up again, Phase and Mamiya will turn everything around once again with the new 6x7 chip for Mamiya RZ, Pentax will suddenly be a player with their new integrated Pentax 67D.

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2008, 06:39:56 pm »

What a bullshit: could you refrain from publishing such non-sense?

Thanks,
Thierry

For the first time ever, Broncolor has published their own catalogue in the US, I hear they are distancing themselves from Sinar due to the inevitable demise of their MFDB systems.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173131\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Eurotographer

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2008, 06:42:31 pm »

What a bullshit: could you refrain from publishing such non-sense?

Thanks,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173138\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Did Broncolor publish their own catalogue in the US?

thsinar

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2008, 06:45:46 pm »

Interesting POV Sinar has the largest system and the least amount of users, what kind of conclution can you make of this statement ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173132\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

None, it was an information, in response to an assertion that Sinar had the smallest user base.

In speculations everything can happen. I dont think beeing a part of a large company helps much. Kodak can suddenly deside to close down LEAF if they dont turn a profit, the same goes for Jenoptik and Sinar. Phase could be sold to Kodak or Microsoft. Fuji will break up with Hasselblad and make their own system open for everyone. Who knows, it is all speculations.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173132\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Absolutely right. Don't speculate and let the future go its way and tell.

Thierry
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

thsinar

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2008, 06:51:26 pm »

This might be, speculating about the reasons is another thing and misleading. It has been in the past, and you seem to forget that beside SBI beeing owed by Broncolor and Sinar (as well as Foba), nothing is tightening up these 2 companies, just that they are as close (as far) as 100 km from each other.

Thierry

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173141\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

amsp

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2008, 07:21:31 pm »

Phase just laid off 20% of their work force in DK, mostly on the software side.  their Alliance with Microsoft is turning into an acquisition by Microsoft. 

Phase One, the DB portion, is for sale for $20,000,000, not very much in my opinion.

Phase One just cancelled a huge order with Kodak for 39mp sensors, sources say, and prices show, that they over extended themselves in their trade in/ups and have way too many of the non-plus backs in inventory to sell.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173131\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Could you BE more full of shit? Post your sources or don't post at all.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 07:23:06 pm by amsp »

thsinar

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2008, 07:39:25 pm »

It amazes me to see how so many know about the misfortunes of companies, with all related details, even can predict these misfortunes with accurate timetables, and more frightening for me, seem to feel an intensive satisfaction to publish and speculate about it. It must be human nature.

Thierry

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173147\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

mattlap2

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2008, 07:55:03 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173141\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No they did not publish their own catalog.   They are using the existing english language brochure used elsewhere in the world.

Sinar Bron Imaging has opted to not produce a catalog for the last 2 years due to the cost of producing and publishing a 100+ page catalog, not to mention the cost of mailing.

SBI has published their price lists online for more than a year and feel that most information is gathered that way quickly.   Not to mention that the product cycles no longer stay current for more than a year at a time.  Meaning that they would have to have information on new products long before the publish date only to hope they stay current to the next publication.

They are also using Sinar's individual brochures and Foba's as well.

TMARK

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

OK, I have a question...

What the hell is an AD or CD doing looking over your shoulder in the first place!  YOU'RE the photographer...what do they hope to achieve other than pure intimidation?  If they have such little trust in your ability to deliver, something's not right.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173114\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, the situation I'm talking about above was post shoot, at the lab, and the client was a major cosmetics company.  But, there are always boat loads of people on set. Its not that they don't trust my ability, this is how it works in NYC.  Its worse in LA.  People come to "hang out".  AD/CD, suits, an intern or two in their Diesel outfits, MUA, stylist, hair stylist (in NYC, hair is usually handled by the MUA, in LA you get a real hair person), someone always brings a dog.  I usually tell everyone that the model is uncomfortable with so many people around and that scatters the suits and interns.  I set up a monitor away from the set, which is where everyone congregates.  Then its just me and the talent, maybe the first assistant, up close. I always shoot at a studio that has a kitchen area and is big enough to put some distance between the actual set and the client contingent.  

Clients always change the brief, or add to it, on set.  If the changes are beyond the usage or scope of the original agreement, I have a change order form on my laptop, which I have them sign.  I also do not "make" my clients sign anything.  They sign a contract, which follows on an estimate and a memo of agreement.  NYC is not as macho as Chicago!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:05:04 pm by TMARK »

thsinar

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »

Thanks to put this straight, Matt.

At least we all know now clearly about all this non-sense.

Kind regards,
Thierry

No they did not publish their own catalog.   They are using the existing english language brochure used elsewhere in the world.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173153\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

TechTalk

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2008, 08:56:15 pm »

It amazes me to see how so many know about the misfortunes of companies, with all related details, even can predict these misfortunes with accurate timetables, and more frightening for me, seem to feel an intensive satisfaction to publish and speculate about it. It must be human nature.

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173150\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The basic problem is that, for many people, their perception of some bit of information gets expanded, extended and extrapolated into some new "facts" that are actually products of the human ability to imagine. Once people create these imagined facts, they are difficult to dislodge.

As an example, earlier in this thread someone posted "All the back makers rely on other companies for cameras. For Hasselblad it's Fuji". Since we are clearing up misinformation, Fuji does NOT make cameras for Hasselblad. Fuji does make lenses (which are either specified or designed by Hasselblad's optical design department) which include Hasselblad's own shutter system. Fuji also manufactures the Hasselblad H film magazine and the optics for the prism finders. Fuji does NOT make cameras for Hasselblad (did I mention that already?).

Fuji is an important manufacturing partner and sub-contractor for Hasselblad's H system. So much so, that Hasselblad licenses Fuji to distribute a Hasselblad manufactured/Fuji branded version of the H1 camera within a restricted region. The camera system however is Hasselblad's property and the camera is made by Hasselblad, not Fuji.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:58:02 pm by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

jpjespersen

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2008, 09:04:48 pm »

Sorry for the off subject question, but could somebody please tell me how to unsubscribe from a thread.  I want to stop getting e-mail notifications from this thread.
Thanks,

JP Jespersen
http://www.p45plus.typepad.com

thsinar

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2008, 09:13:23 pm »

go to your "Control Panel" in "Messages" ---> "eMail Settings" and un-click the option "Enable 'Email Notification' by default?"

See attachment.

Thierry

Sorry for the off subject question, but could somebody please tell me how to unsubscribe from a thread.  I want to stop getting e-mail notifications from this thread.
Thanks,

JP Jespersen
http://www.p45plus.typepad.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173167\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[attachment=5060:attachment]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2008, 09:14:25 pm »

Click on the My Controls link and look for Subscriptions.

jpjespersen

« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2008, 10:34:21 pm »

Thanks.
go to your "Control Panel" in "Messages" ---> "eMail Settings" and un-click the option "Enable 'Email Notification' by default?"

See attachment.

Thierry
[attachment=5060:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173170\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eurotographer

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2008, 11:00:30 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173147\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The same thing was said to me when I posted the discontinuation of the H2......
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up