Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roll storage  (Read 2497 times)

Sven W

Roll storage
« on: February 05, 2008, 08:19:21 am »

Has anybody any solutions for storing paper rolls? Manufactured or home-made.
I have now about 25 rolls in my printstudio, in different kinds and sizes (60, 44, 24 and 17 inches).
They take up space and get dusty and often falls like the "domino-effect".

Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Roll storage
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 08:47:42 am »

Has anybody any solutions for storing paper rolls?
Square cardboard boxes (as the ones provided by mfgrs) are quite practical, I find - protects from dust, and allows to pile them.
For home-made rolls, you'll have to collect the boxes of the manufactured ones, I'm afraid.

Btw, how do you make your own rolls? Do you simply mean cutting wide rolls into smaller sizes (which interests me much, with my R1800)?
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Sven W

Roll storage
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:26:16 pm »

Square cardboard boxes (as the ones provided by mfgrs) are quite practical, I find - protects from dust, and allows to pile them.
For home-made rolls, you'll have to collect the boxes of the manufactured ones, I'm afraid.

Btw, how do you make your own rolls? Do you simply mean cutting wide rolls into smaller sizes (which interests me much, with my R1800)?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172446\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, maybe I wrote a little bad english, but I don't have any "home-made rolls".
I want a solution for storing rolls in a proper and smart way. I've seen som "cages" or "pipes"
to put your rolls in/on, but no really good ones.

If you want to cut big rolls in smaller sizes; my supplier have a heavy roll-cutter, which can deliver
any roll-size I want. I have a bunch of 10 cm wide x 15 m long canvas, which I use for printing
kind of personal cards for commercial purpose. They really look like toilett-paperrolls.  

Sven
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:35:15 pm by Sven W »
Stockholm, Sweden

tomhamp

Roll storage
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:48:04 pm »

I have seen, and am looking for, something I saw at a company, where they had a stand near some large-format printers.

Basically, it consisted of two pieces of 3/4" plywood, standing vertically, and tapering from about 1 foot wide at bottom to 6 inches wide at top.  These had slots cut into them, sloping downward, to accommodate wooden dowel.

These were the sides of the unit, and were spaced apart about 50" (to accommodate 44" rolls), held in place by the remainder of the unit, which was also plywood.

Total height was about 6 feet, and stood on the floor against a wall.

The slots were cut sloping downward so the dowels (and the rolls of paper on them) would not fall/roll out.

This could be built easily at home for very little money.

The other option might be to look for commercial units that might be sold for fabric shops to store their rolls of material.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Tom

tomm101

Roll storage
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 02:55:47 pm »

I built a rolling cart starting with a 2x12 about 5 ft long, put 3/4 inch dowels at 6 inch intervals, takes about 12 rolls. Set casters underneath. Works well, I cover the rolls with their plastic and boxes, trying not to have the wrong box over a roll.

Tom

marty m

• http://
Roll storage
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:41:44 pm »

Buy the metal brackets that are used in closets to hold to up the very thick pole or dowel  for closets -- to hang clothes on.

Those metal brackets can hold up paper that is on spindles.  I wrap the spindles in large plastic bags; suck out the air, and tie them shut.  That preserves the paper from humidity and dust.  Then hang it on the metal brackets.

This requires an investment in more spindles, but then you don't have to swap them out every time you switch paper.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 10:43:29 pm by marty m »
Pages: [1]   Go Up