Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink costs on Epson Pro 3800  (Read 2469 times)

duraace

Ink costs on Epson Pro 3800
« on: February 04, 2008, 03:37:31 pm »

Does anyone have a link to a site that breaks down the cost per page size in ink (2880 dpi) for the Epson 3800? I'm planning to do printing for other people and need to know what the overhead costs are using this printer.  Are there any other costs (excluding paper) that need to be taken in account?  Thanks in advanced.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 03:38:36 pm by duraace »

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 05:23:13 pm »

costs for a 4880 (same basic machine / more durable construction)

if 1 milliliter (ml) = 1,000 micro liters (ul)    

on Epson matte paper -
usage ranges between
3.12ul and 15.6ul per sq.in. (6.45 cm2) of printed surface
 - depending on the complexity / intensity of the color(s).

(a 16" X 20" image uses between 1ml and 5ml of ink.)

cost would equal =

- cost of machine /warranty / operational costs divided by operational live of machine in # of prints (can be found on Epson site) =  cost A
- cost of ink divided by coverage range =   cost B
- cost of paper divided by print size = cost C
- cost of supporting software (qimage / PS, etc.) /divided by some fair % = cost D
- cost of packaging /storage of print images (clear bags / etc.) - cost E
- insurance /legal fees (if you are a business) - cost F
- Labor (value of your time /expertise) - cost G  
- cost of psychiatric counseling required after trying to calibrate screen /printer and profile paper(s)/ dealing with clients (especially photogs and artists) =   Cost - H

Final Cost =   A+B+C+D+E+F+G+H +10% for 'other things' = final cost

If you look at sites like Nash /Cone et.al. they provide a 'top of the market' rate for printing images + their 'consultation' fees (starting at $37.50 for 15 mins.)
Place your experience /expertise against that scale (where Nash/Cone = 100%) and come up with you own price scale (which should change as your experience /expertise increases and matures).

Good luck - and don't let the '#&84@^&423^&$4'  clients get you down...

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 07:37:00 pm »

When I run titusbear style careful accounting of my expenses on the big Epsons, I come out with something around $5 to $7 sq/ft for printing on art media, paper or canvas included.  The absolute bottom-line ink+paper (only) cost may be closer to $3.  If you're in this for a business, you'd better charge something well over $8 sq/ft for reasonable quality printing.  But OTOH one can also make pragmatic cashcow arguments to justify recovering only expendables costs if one is having trouble paying the rent or cultivating a potential good client or printing for one's pals...but that can't go on forever.

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 08:27:59 pm »

Quote from: bill t.,Feb 4 2008, 07:37 PM
When I run titusbear style careful accounting of my expenses on the big Epsons, I come out with something around $5 to $7 sq/ft for printing on art media, paper or canvas included.  The absolute bottom-line ink+paper (only) cost may be closer to $3.  If you're in this for a business, you'd better charge something well over $8 sq/ft for reasonable quality printing.  

for graphic prints - Nash charges $22.50 for an 8.5 X 11 print
for exhibition prints - they charge $46.28 for the same 8.5 X 11 print
that's just for the print on an already prepared /proofed file.
if they work on /edit  the file - it's $37.50 every 15 mins. billed in 15 min. slices.

Cone charges $50.00 for an 8.5 X 11 (also for a prepared file).

Again, if these top-of-the-line (i.e. 100th percentile) houses charge that - then price your prints some where's between 'actual' cost as an intro price - to something closer to what you think your actual experience / expertise can justify. The 'market' will soon show if you are being realistic or not.  That is - if you are an individual interesting in printing.

If you're an 'artist' / or want to add that 'artist' touch to a clients print - just smear something on the print  - call it 'art' and charge $200.00 / page minimum...

if you think I'm joking - see link:
  http://www.artloversnewyork.com/zine/category/if-i-had-200/

to see what +/- $200.00 buys in NYC these days...

duraace

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 01:19:23 pm »

Wow ... thanks folks.  The detail went beyond my expectations.  Something I can work with for sure.  Since I'm recently retired, not needing to support myself from doing this, I enjoy the process, this puts me in an ideal position to explore and develop this as a sideline business; therefore, only need to cover costs+ for the moment.  Thanks again to all.

duraace

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 01:30:10 pm »

Quote from: titusbear,Feb 4 2008, 09:27 PM
Quote from: bill t.,Feb 4 2008, 07:37 PM
When I run titusbear style careful accounting of my expenses on the big Epsons, I come out with something around $5 to $7 sq/ft for printing on art media, paper or canvas included.  The absolute bottom-line ink+paper (only) cost may be closer to $3.  If you're in this for a business, you'd better charge something well over $8 sq/ft for reasonable quality printing.  

for graphic prints - Nash charges $22.50 for an 8.5 X 11 print
for exhibition prints - they charge $46.28 for the same 8.5 X 11 print
that's just for the print on an already prepared /proofed file.
if they work on /edit  the file - it's $37.50 every 15 mins. billed in 15 min. slices.

Cone charges $50.00 for an 8.5 X 11 (also for a prepared file).

Again, if these top-of-the-line (i.e. 100th percentile) houses charge that - then price your prints some where's between 'actual' cost as an intro price - to something closer to what you think your actual experience / expertise can justify. The 'market' will soon show if you are being realistic or not.  That is - if you are an individual interesting in printing.

If you're an 'artist' / or want to add that 'artist' touch to a clients print - just smear something on the print  - call it 'art' and charge $200.00 / page minimum...

if you think I'm joking - see link:
  http://www.artloversnewyork.com/zine/category/if-i-had-200/

to see what +/- $200.00 buys in NYC these days...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172356\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Very encouraging.  I'm motivated now to pursue this, because a fraction of these amounts is enough to justify doing it.  The primary reason is that I have an interest, and I'm pleased with the results I'm getting from my equipment + software.  Thanks again for taking the time to share this information.
Pages: [1]   Go Up