Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poor Mans MF Digital...Columbia Gorge Outing  (Read 6323 times)

RomanJohnston

Poor Mans MF Digital...Columbia Gorge Outing
« on: February 04, 2008, 02:55:23 pm »

Was out shooting the week before last, and shot these panos..(4 frames, shot portrait style and joined together to crop for normal aspect ratio.) Using my new D300.

Very pleased with the reults. Even 30"x45" has amazing detail. Was going for new perspectives in familiar (if not often over photographed) places.

Roman
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:56:37 pm by RomanJohnston »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:08:30 am »

Very nice images.   Those are not easy subjects, you've interpreted them very well.  Great sense of illumination.

Gotta get me one of those D300's!  IMHO a sharp, well exposed, well stitched multi-panel shot can easily beat the big format cameras, especially in the corners.

BruceHouston

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:30:03 am »

Absolutely gorgeous gorges!

RomanJohnston

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 10:16:19 am »

Bruce, Bill,

Thanks Kindly for your feedback. It was a magical day out in the gorge, we dont get snow too often so I have to get out when it happens (which is pretty easy....even a light dusting can close the city down as no one really knows how to drive in the snow...lol)

Leave the roads open for me. (I grew up back east where it snows like crazy...so no biggy for me to drive in it)

I agree with your comments about edge sharpness. I will try to get a 60" wide print from these panos and see what they do when pushed. They should be seriously large. But then to figure out how to get it mounted and framed with one piece gaterboard. I think TIS graphics here in town (where I get my large prints done) offers gaterboard in larger sizes. They have the large Canon Printers...so that is taken care of. I just wish they had their LightJet working.

If I get a HUGE print done and mounted...will post a picture of it.

Roman

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 01:09:47 am »

Nice work... thanks for sharing!  The top one seems a bit too magenta to me, but it's probably my eyes...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

pcox

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://www.petercox.ie
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 08:40:35 am »

Roman -
Fantastic images, you are right to be pleased with them.

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Cox Photography
[url=http://photoc

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 04:08:27 am »

Was out shooting the week before last, and shot these panos..(4 frames, shot portrait style and joined together to crop for normal aspect ratio.) Using my new D300.

Very pleased with the reults. Even 30"x45" has amazing detail. Was going for new perspectives in familiar (if not often over photographed) places.

Roman
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172293\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Love the images, hate the writing and keyline. My taste would be to tone it down and less fussy writing. Just how I see it.

Cheers,

Kevin.
Kevin.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 09:47:52 am »

Love the images, hate the writing and keyline. My taste would be to tone it down and less fussy writing. Just how I see it.

Cheers,

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174789\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I like it.

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 12:42:29 pm »

They don't look like pano's.  Maybe you don't even need to mention that they are.  Did you use a pano head?  What was your stitch software?  Really terrific images.
CMurph

RomanJohnston

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:08:46 pm »

They don't look like pano's.  Maybe you don't even need to mention that they are.  Did you use a pano head?  What was your stitch software?  Really terrific images.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174866\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Craig! Actually I always mention when I make panos.....I dont own MF equipment so taking 4 portrait style shots and stiching together is my best option for really large prints. I just used a regular ballhead with a rotating base......thats it. Stich was done with CS3 in auto mode.....took about 10 min in total.

Roman
Pages: [1]   Go Up