Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help with macro world  (Read 3265 times)

prh555

• http://
help with macro world
« on: February 03, 2008, 02:26:22 pm »

i am interested in starting macro.  

can't decide between
1.  100mm 2.8 macro
2.  180mm 3.5L or
3.  90mm TS plus extensions and 1.4 extender.

all thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks, prh

DarkPenguin

help with macro world
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 02:42:25 pm »

The first one is cheap, isn't it?  Seems like that's the way to start.

daethon

help with macro world
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 05:27:30 pm »

I LOVE the 180 Macro.  One of my favourite lenses ever.

Alex53

help with macro world
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 05:45:54 pm »

Depends on your budget and your commitment.

I went for the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro usm, because it was both affordable and offers excellent quality. I have had all my macro needs catered for by this lens, although I did add the kenko set of 3 extension tubes for a little extra magnification.

The only reason I would want a 180mm is for extra working distance when shooting bugs that may be disturbed by movements and fly/jump/run away. But practice and patience goes a long way without breaking the bank.  

I would avoid the 50mm macro for the same but opposite reason, and because it offers 1:2 (not 'full macro' 1:1 magnification). Can't fault the image quality though.

If you are shooting on a cropped body the EF-S 60mm macro is also available to you, but to be honest I dont see why anyone would buy this lens with the 100mm costing so little more. Well I do see one reason. Its lighter.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 06:03:44 pm by Alex53 »

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
help with macro world
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 06:09:40 pm »

You can get some great info at the FM forums for Macro, including how to resources. This is helping me greatly

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/45

Some awesome macro images displayed

prh555

• http://
help with macro world
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 09:00:19 pm »

thanks to all for your advice.  money is important, but i try to buy what is the best for the result.  

i think about the 90mm TS, it would help to aid the focal plain, along with tubes and extender.  i've read it has great optics.

thanks, prh

daethon

help with macro world
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 09:41:49 pm »

thanks to all for your advice.  money is important, but i try to buy what is the best for the result. 

i think about the 90mm TS, it would help to aid the focal plain, along with tubes and extender.  i've read it has great optics.

thanks, prh
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172117\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As I understand by adding tubes/extenders, other then obviously limiting the f-Stop that you are able to work at, you also negatively affect the quality of image.  

I would avoid this path if at all possible.

BruceHouston

help with macro world
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 04:42:51 am »

I use a completely separate camera, a Panasonic P & S.  See my post of 2/4/2008 with a couple of sample shots.

This little baby 7mp P & S has an ultra-sharp Leica lens with beautiful bokeh, but is of course pretty much limited to 8 x 10 prints.  The secret is that the rig is so light and nimble that you can often get between the branches and get the shot without frightening the bug and before it gets away!

DonWeston

help with macro world
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 07:56:52 am »

I use a completely separate camera, a Panasonic P & S.  See my post of 2/4/2008 with a couple of sample shots.

This little baby 7mp P & S has an ultra-sharp Leica lens with beautiful bokeh, but is of course pretty much limited to 8 x 10 prints.  The secret is that the rig is so light and nimble that you can often get between the branches and get the shot without frightening the bug and before it gets away!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172420\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Before I offer up an opinion, what exactly are you trying to shoot, what is your intended subject matter. If you are shooting things close to you, and maybe the best all around lens is a 90-100mm macro lens. If what you are shooting requires a decrete distance, say a poisonous bug or animal, then the 180mm or longer tele with filters or ext tubes would offer some room for safety. If you are copying flat work then a 50-60mm macro works fine...so it all  depends...
A T/S macro lens is a very nice lens if you have worked with T/S before, you can do more DOF control, both to add or remove and do selective focus very nicely, fun to play with if the subject is not moving, flowers, most bugs ......

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
help with macro world
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 09:48:35 am »

I use the 50, and just ordered the lifesize converter for it.  I'm hoping it adds several inches to the working distance.  If I hadn't had the 50 for years, I would have just bought the 100 to begin with though.

stever

help with macro world
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 11:47:30 am »

depends on the type of subject and full-frame or crop

90TS is a great lens and works well with 1.4x (if you need extra reach) and 500 closeup, but is not an all-round lens since it is manual and has a limited focal range when set up for macro - the external focusing contributes to the slow, deliberate nature of the lens - forget it for anthing that moves

100 is good all round on crop and full frame - internal focusing is a real benefit, but autofocus is poor

60 on crop frame is nice and compact and light with better autofocus than 100 (because of 100 autofocus problems i bought a 60 for UW)

i would not recommend the old 50

i do recommend the macro flash

stever

help with macro world
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 11:50:27 am »

in fact, in terms of bang for buck i'd recommend a 100 with macro flash as opposed to spending more on a lens - the 100 will also work with a kenko 1.4x if you need some more reach

Canon Bob

help with macro world
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 02:20:46 pm »

I use the 50, and just ordered the lifesize converter for it.  I'm hoping it adds several inches to the working distance.  If I hadn't had the 50 for years, I would have just bought the 100 to begin with though.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172457\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The working distance at 2:1 will be a little longer with the LSC but the minimum focus distance is only about 10mm extra. Then the length of the LSC actully makes the working distance at the maximum magnification quite a bit less (about 65mm at 1:1)
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up