Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alaska - Wrangell to Ketchikan by boat  (Read 6276 times)

scott t

Alaska - Wrangell to Ketchikan by boat
« on: February 03, 2008, 12:12:57 am »

Hi all,

We are flying in to Wrangell to meet with my parents on their boat, it's a 42 foot trawler. We don't have a set agenda except to be in Ketchikan in 5 days or so.

Looking for wildlife or scenery suggestions, specifically BEARS.  
Whales, eagles, otters...any thoughts welcome.

Ideas for side trips welcome, but we'll have my 8yr old son and 65yr old dad - so not too strenuous.

We fly in to Wrangell June 14, out of Ketchikan June 22. We will probably have at least 2 days in Ketchikan to do some exploring.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 12:14:47 am by scott t »

oakey

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:47:40 pm »

I used to live in ketchikan. the first thing is pack rain gear & bug dope they will eat you alive !!!  it rains all the time its a rain forest. you need to keep your camera gear dry. pack some plastic bags to use over your camera you will move alot & set up. as far as bears go i would go out to ward lake west of town. i used to see lots of bears on the river. there is 3 lakes out there on that road. i would buy some bear pepper spray just in case. there is lots of water falls around just ask people there. creek street is good for photography right in town. they have a loging show in town that you can go to. your time will fly by fast there. the big thing is the day light. the longest day is 23 hours i think. so you will have lots of day light to do things.
   the main thing is be BEAR SMART all ways have a game plan a way out. i live in a place now that has lots and lots of bears. and you see people do dumb things. last year they had to shoot 5 bears in town. and dont feed them. if you have a 500 mm lens thats good. i use a 70-200 2.8 IS lens and thats to small. just some things to think about.   oakey

Hank

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 12:16:12 am »

I'm not real acquainted with area you'll be traversing, but here is a valuable resource for you.  Click around the site and you'll find all sorts of useful stuff.

akclimber

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 07:46:25 pm »

Hi all,

We are flying in to Wrangell to meet with my parents on their boat, it's a 42 foot trawler. We don't have a set agenda except to be in Ketchikan in 5 days or so.

Ideas for side trips welcome, but we'll have my 8yr old son and 65yr old dad - so not too strenuous.

We fly in to Wrangell June 14, out of Ketchikan June 22. We will probably have at least 2 days in Ketchikan to do some exploring.

Thank you!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171927\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello from Juneau, AK.  Sounds like a great trip.  Since you'll be starting in Wrangell, I highly recommend visiting Anan Creek for a day or two of bear viewing and photography.  Wonderful place! One of the few places where black and brown bears hang out together.  You might be a bit early (late July would be best) but it'd be worth checking out.

Cheers!

gvaughn

• http://www.GregVaughn.com
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:51:30 am »

I visited Wrangell and Ketchikan a couple of years ago and very much enjoyed both areas. Wrangell reminded me a lot of the town in the TV series "Northern Exposure" - a town with character and full of characters.

In Wrangell, Petroglyph Beach is a short walk from town and has some good rock carvings in lava boulders right on the beach.

On the other end of town is Chief Shakes Island, which has a traditional Tlingit tribal house and some very nice totem poles. Check in advance to see when the tribal house is open for visitors so you can go inside.

Rainbow Falls is not far away in the Tongass National Forest. The trail passes through beautiful old-growth forest, but might be a bit much for the little ones or grandpa - it involves going up and down 600 stair steps.

If you like to kayak, I went on a 1/2 day trip with Alaska Vistas and recommend them. If you want to do a a jet boat tour up the Stikine River, Alaska Waters is a native-run company and they do a good job.

For evening entertainment, check out the Can Can show at the Totem Bar - local girls put on a costumed show that is a real hoot.

Ketchikan is much more of a real city and the downtown area is totally geared to cruise ship tourism. Rent a car for a day or two and visit Totem Bight State Park and Saxman Park, both with  fantastic totem poles and tribal houses.

Southeast Sea Kayaks has a great tour from downtown to a pretty little cover across the inside passage, and a flightseeing tour of Misty Fjords with Island Wings is awesome.

Have a great time!

- Greg

Hi all,

Thank you!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171927\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 12:24:50 pm by gvaughn »
- Greg
 w

scott t

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 02:37:59 am »

Thanks oakey, hank, joe and greg for the suggestions/recommendations. I'm optimistic we'll see some great wildlife.

Any recommendations on gear? I was planning a 40D, 17-40, 24-105 and 100-400.

I have access to a 300/2.8 (+TC's) and 1D MkIIN, but I'm not sure how much I would be able to use the big prime? I also have a 70-200/2.8 IS, but not sure how useful it will be, and thinking that I need to try to control weight and size.

More recommendations for car trips from ketchikan appreciated, and any stops between the two cities (in addition to Anan Creek).

Thanks all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up