Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: PMA Trip Report  (Read 24368 times)

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
PMA Trip Report
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 06:23:12 am »

Leonardo,

the main reasons for the 6x6 format were:

- no need to rotate the camera, unlike the H series
- being ready for possible future bigger sensors
- make use of a large number of existing 6x6 lenses coming from the 6008 series (for this point: I shall publish later today a complete list of more than 45 different lenses fitting the Sinar Hy6)

Best regards,
Thierry

Best regards,
Thierry

That is really good, the best of two worlds. But I'm yet to understand the idea behind a 6x6 format, what do you think the it is/was?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177398\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Carl Glover

• http://www.alephstudio.co.uk
PMA Trip Report
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 06:40:49 am »

About 85% of my work is in portrait rather than landscape. Having the sensor rotated 90 degrees rather than the camera has made my life a lot simpler.

The ergonomics are excellent by the way. I'm not aware of the camera when I'm working with it, just what is in front of me. Nice lenses too.

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
PMA Trip Report
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 09:33:42 am »

Its a bit off topic, but on more than one occasion I have heard the 11880 other than size and the ability to switch MK-PK inks is a different critter than the smaller 9880-7880 printers. Some have also suggested clogging and out gassing is just as bad if not worse with the new printers. Whats your experience?

Thanks

Right, printed (most often by Mac Holbert of Nash Editions) using the Advanced B&W. Also, Epson is smart about presentation. They use Solux in the booth (they may not be able to fully compensate for the crap lighting in a convention center, but they try).

I've got a 7880, basically the same "engine" and the B&W's are as you say flawless. I had a few good teachers too <g>.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171991\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

TMARK

PMA Trip Report
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 10:07:30 am »

Its a bit off topic, but on more than one occasion I have heard the 11880 other than size and the ability to switch MK-PK inks is a different critter than the smaller 9880-7880 printers. Some have also suggested clogging and out gassing is just as bad if not worse with the new printers. Whats your experience?

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177489\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Outgassing and clogging has not been an issue with my 2400 or 7880.  I hear about these problems, read lots of complaining and half expect my printers to clog and have serious outgassing problems but alas they just work.  I've had 1 clog on my 2400, none on my 7880.  I get outgassing with HFA Photorag and Ilford Smooth Pearl.  I leave prints on the HFA paper out for a day or two.

I have heard but do not know for certain that the 11880 is a generation ahead of the smaller X880 printers, and is therefore a different beast.  Anyone have any direct experience?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
PMA Trip Report
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 11:19:56 am »

Outgassing and clogging has not been an issue with my 2400 or 7880.

My 7880 falls into the same camp, no issues.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

godtfred

• http://
PMA Trip Report
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 11:41:11 am »

Outgassing and clogging has not been an issue with my 2400 or 7880.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177492\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I must agree with this, as I hear clogging etc. should happen to my 9800, but it just keeps on printing with nary a hiccup. In the beginning it clogged a bit, but has not had a clog in over a year (touch wood, whatever...)
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

narikin

PMA Trip Report
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 12:36:37 pm »

I still think Phase should put the 39 mp chip in a ZDII body & sell it at good price. The body is built & how much R&D would it take to put in a 3" screen & fast buffer? Then sell it for $10-15k USD.
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172088\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
could not agree more. (except that price is a little wishful!)

it is also a different style of camera, not a dslr, and we so very badly need variety in the digital marketplace.

look how well the Mamiya 7 did - that surprised everyone. Phase + Mamiya would be foolish to let this pass by...

narikin

PMA Trip Report
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 12:43:28 pm »

the main reasons for the 6x6 format were:

- no need to rotate the camera, unlike the H series
- being ready for possible future bigger sensors
- make use of a large number of existing 6x6 lenses coming from the 6008 series (for this point: I shall publish later today a complete list of more than 45 different lenses fitting the Sinar Hy6)

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177454\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
oh come on Thierry, we're a little smarter than that here!  

its a hang-over from some warped commitment to 6x6 film backs..

-there will not be a 6x6 sensor in the foreseeable future - certainly the next 5 years.
-lenses cover 645 sensors just as well as 6x6 so thats a non-reason
-a good design would handle well in the vertical too, look at Contax 645.

meanwhile you have made a bigger/heavier camera than is needed for the format/sensor... and as a certain Japanese car designer named 'Toyota' said, "too big or too heavy is bad design".  and look at the US car industry to see how right he was.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
PMA Trip Report
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 01:45:23 pm »

-there will not be a 6x6 sensor in the foreseeable future - certainly the next 5 years.

meanwhile you have made a bigger/heavier camera than is needed for the format/sensor... and as a certain Japanese car designer named 'Toyota' said, "too big or too heavy is bad design".  and look at the US car industry to see how right he was.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well the Hy6/Sinar has a 5year warrantee and a vision longer than that so its entirely probable there might be a sensor to fit the camera before its life is up.  I think your response is out of place.

The Hy6 seems smaller and lighter than the 645 and is more advanced and capable.
Rolleiflex USA

JDG

PMA Trip Report
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 01:55:16 pm »

Hi
I still think Phase should put the 39 mp chip in a ZDII body & sell it at good price. The body is built & how much R&D would it take to put in a 3" screen & fast buffer? Then sell it for $10-15k USD.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172088\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Considering that the ZD camera did so poorly that it was never brought to the US, despite having been shown at every event for a year... I don't think this will happen.... unless they could make it "Canon sized"

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
PMA Trip Report
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 07:08:24 pm »

Dear Narikin,

that's all your own opinions, which I do not agree with, obviously.

- 6x6 sensor: I am not pretending that I can predict, but you neither. In any case, THIS was one idea behind, if one likes it or not.

- 645 sensors covered as well as 6x6 lenses: obviously! My point is that here as well, the camera platform is ready for bigger sensors with no need to develop new lenses. Nobody can deny this.

- Contax 645: for sure, this is (was) a good camera. It is the "was" which is the problem.

- bigger/heavier camera? Did you really hold and handle the Hy6? I doubt. It could hardly be lighter and smaller, even if 645. Hold it, play with it and compare it with the exisiting ones.

Best regards,
Thierry

meanwhile you have made a bigger/heavier camera than is needed for the format/sensor... and as a certain Japanese car designer named 'Toyota' said, "too big or too heavy is bad design".  and look at the US car industry to see how right he was.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up