Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod Questions  (Read 1446 times)

photocase

Tripod Questions
« on: February 02, 2008, 12:18:14 pm »

I'm a (primarily) landscape photographer in the process of upgrading my tripod from an old Bogen 3021, and I'm hoping to get some feedback on tripods.

My needs are fairly modest. I have a Canon 5D, and my longest lens is a 70-200 f4. The camera with that lens tips the scale at 4 lbs even. I'm entertaining the possibility of a 300 f4 in the future, so I want to account for that.

I'm looking at some of the recent carbon fiber offerings from various companies. I'm interested in the Benro C258, and the Giottos MT8250 or 8350. Does anyone have much experience with these brands, particularly Benro? Any other suggestions for an eqivalent tripod without breaking the bank?

Also, on the subject of materials, does anyone have insights on carbon fiber vs. other materials? I know that carbon fiber is light to carry, and is supposed to dampen vibration well, but it seems to me that in some circumstances (I'm thinking a stiff wind) a little weight is a good thing. I guess my main reservation on carbon fiber is the question in the back of my mind "is lighter always better?". Do you really want to put a heavy camera and lens on top of a 3lb tripod? I know I can get a lot more tripod for the money with alloy if I'm willing to heft it around.  

Kind of a rambling question I know, but any feedback or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

ARD

• http://
Tripod Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 12:57:08 pm »

Go to SEARCH

Type in tripod in the search box.

There are many threads about tripods on here, hopefully you'll find the information you need.

If not post back  
Pages: [1]   Go Up