Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microtek m1 pro - unsatisfactory support  (Read 3496 times)

llap444

Microtek m1 pro - unsatisfactory support
« on: February 01, 2008, 01:42:04 pm »

I decided to try the Microtek M1 Pro despite reading somewhere that their support is not good. The retalier told me I could return the unit if not satisfied in 30 days, so I felt I could probably determine if the quality was going to satisfy my needs within that time frame.

The good:
setup was straightforward (thusfar) and I was anxious to try a scan of a 645 b/w negative - so I haven't calibrated the scanner yet. I must say the film holder is MUCH more substantial than the Epson V700. I got what appears to be a decent scan at 4800. I haven't had time to do anymore with it as yet -- shoveling snow, etc.

The bad:
at least with the pro model and despite what the Microtek manual states, the calibration targets are not supplied by Microtek - rather they figure that the've included the SilverFast software - which has it's own targets - so when I opened the SilverFast software jewelcase - the targets are kinda paper clipped in there (slightly dented) - and one of the targets had a nice big fingerprint on it. I called the retailer - who told me to use a anti-static cloth to remove it. I have managed to put a series of circular fine scratches in the surface with this procedure.  At this point, I decided to call Microtek directly and also returned a call to the retailer to report results.

Microtek customer service told me they didn't know what they could do since this was not THEIR product --- funny how the box I purchased says "Microtek".  Kinda like buying a new car and having the dealer tell me the problem with the radio is not theirs -- since they didn't make the radio. How stupid is this???

Anyway, Microtek finally called back (24 hours later) to confirm that they couldn't do anything about this since it is not their product. They also told me that the target will be fine and go ahead and use it as is.  Hmmmmm..... so scratches/fingerprints really don't matter -- if this is really true, then why do they tell me to handle the target very carefully? How will I know if it makes a difference or not? After asking for a supervisor and being told they were not at their desk, I was advised to contact my retailer if I'm still not satisfied.

Maybe they are correct. Maybe they target is close enough to what it should be to not cause a difference.  And if a company wants to buy about $1.00 worth of bad reputation, that's certainly their choice.  If all I was going to use this for was b/w negatives, I wouldn't bother -- but I also have color scans I want to use it for - both negatives and reflective.

I don't know if I'll get a satisfactory answer from the retailer re: whether or not I can actually verify calibration with this less than perfect target -- anybody's opinion on this would be appreciated.

John

jpgentry

Microtek m1 pro - unsatisfactory support
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 03:03:25 am »

Call silverfast.  I find them to be very good and they will probably shoot you another target out.  Or return it for another unit.

I decided to try the Microtek M1 Pro despite reading somewhere that their support is not good. The retalier told me I could return the unit if not satisfied in 30 days, so I felt I could probably determine if the quality was going to satisfy my needs within that time frame.

The good:
setup was straightforward (thusfar) and I was anxious to try a scan of a 645 b/w negative - so I haven't calibrated the scanner yet. I must say the film holder is MUCH more substantial than the Epson V700. I got what appears to be a decent scan at 4800. I haven't had time to do anymore with it as yet -- shoveling snow, etc.

The bad:
at least with the pro model and despite what the Microtek manual states, the calibration targets are not supplied by Microtek - rather they figure that the've included the SilverFast software - which has it's own targets - so when I opened the SilverFast software jewelcase - the targets are kinda paper clipped in there (slightly dented) - and one of the targets had a nice big fingerprint on it. I called the retailer - who told me to use a anti-static cloth to remove it. I have managed to put a series of circular fine scratches in the surface with this procedure.  At this point, I decided to call Microtek directly and also returned a call to the retailer to report results.

Microtek customer service told me they didn't know what they could do since this was not THEIR product --- funny how the box I purchased says "Microtek".  Kinda like buying a new car and having the dealer tell me the problem with the radio is not theirs -- since they didn't make the radio. How stupid is this???

Anyway, Microtek finally called back (24 hours later) to confirm that they couldn't do anything about this since it is not their product. They also told me that the target will be fine and go ahead and use it as is.  Hmmmmm..... so scratches/fingerprints really don't matter -- if this is really true, then why do they tell me to handle the target very carefully? How will I know if it makes a difference or not? After asking for a supervisor and being told they were not at their desk, I was advised to contact my retailer if I'm still not satisfied.

Maybe they are correct. Maybe they target is close enough to what it should be to not cause a difference.  And if a company wants to buy about $1.00 worth of bad reputation, that's certainly their choice.  If all I was going to use this for was b/w negatives, I wouldn't bother -- but I also have color scans I want to use it for - both negatives and reflective.

I don't know if I'll get a satisfactory answer from the retailer re: whether or not I can actually verify calibration with this less than perfect target -- anybody's opinion on this would be appreciated.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171567\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up