Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EOS 1ds mk3 or Nikon D3(X?)  (Read 4330 times)

ChrisJR

• http://
Canon EOS 1ds mk3 or Nikon D3(X?)
« on: February 01, 2008, 08:24:42 am »

I need some advice and opinions of users. I've been using a Canon 1D mk3 since June of last year and absolutely love it but require something with higher resolution and preferably full-frame. Previously I owned a 5D for which I loved being able to have wide-angles act in their normal way, but am planning to upgrade to a more pro full-frame model, namely either the 1ds mk3 or Nikon D3.

I know the resolution of the D3 is lower than the 1ds but is there any indication of when a higher resolution model will be available or do people think the resolution of the current D3 is sufficient? I like to print pretty big with my minimum size generally now around 20x24 / 24x30 or more.

Any advice or opinions would be gratefully received.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 10:19:33 am »

I need some advice and opinions of users. I've been using a Canon 1D mk3 since June of last year and absolutely love it but require something with higher resolution and preferably full-frame. Previously I owned a 5D for which I loved being able to have wide-angles act in their normal way, but am planning to upgrade to a more pro full-frame model, namely either the 1ds mk3 or Nikon D3.

I know the resolution of the D3 is lower than the 1ds but is there any indication of when a higher resolution model will be available or do people think the resolution of the current D3 is sufficient? I like to print pretty big with my minimum size generally now around 20x24 / 24x30 or more.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171483\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pretty simple, if you need it soon 1DsMk3 because there is nothing shipping in the next 6 months. If you can wait longer wait for the Sony, and even perhaps Nikons D3x.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

sojournerphoto

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 10:25:41 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171483\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All the 5D users that I've spoken to are waiting - hoping that Canon can/will respond to the invigorating market conditions that currently prevail. Some are ready to switch maker as well if necessary - but all will become clear in due course.

On the other hand, if you want full frame and have some Canon lenses, the 5D is a bargain at present. I've printed at least one wedding album page shot at iso 1600 and then given 2.5 stops additional exposure in lightroom! It wouldn't work at 30 by 20, but ...

Mike

ChrisJR

• http://
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:38:07 am »

Really looking at something more solid than the 5D, which is why I sold it for the 1d mk3. I can wait a while but just curious how people who've had a chance to compare the D3 and 1ds mk3 compare them.

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 04:38:02 pm »

I have own my 1DS mk3 for a week and in terms of resolution it is certainly the king of the castle at present especially at low to mid ISO.The D3 seems to have an edge at  very high ISO.

In terms of handling the 1DS mrk3 is much better than my previous 1D Mrk2.
Slightly lighter, better menu system, significantly brighter viewfinder etc. See Michael's review.

Really looking at something more solid than the 5D, which is why I sold it for the 1d mk3. I can wait a while but just curious how people who've had a chance to compare the D3 and 1ds mk3 compare them.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171517\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up