Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Induro Tripod Experience?  (Read 3558 times)

BruceHouston

Induro Tripod Experience?
« on: February 01, 2008, 03:00:18 am »

Michael Reichmann reviewed the larger, heavier Induro some time ago.  Does anyone have any more recent experience with the Carbonflex series?  Of particular interest would be comparative comments from anyone who has used both Induro and Gitzo.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 03:53:15 am »

Michael Reichmann reviewed the larger, heavier Induro some time ago.  Does anyone have any more recent experience with the Carbonflex series?  Of particular interest would be comparative comments from anyone who has used both Induro and Gitzo.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171432\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
I bought one a year ago & very happy with. I also bought one of there ball heads which I use on an old Manfrotto tripod. my only complaint is that the carry bag that comes with the tripod was not made long enough to allow for the ball head being installed on the tripod.
Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 10:32:33 am »

I have also had one for just about a year with one of their ball-heads and I am very pleased with it. Very solid, lightweight, extending and locking the legs feels very secure. I check it on planes in a ThinkTank tripod case without any damage.
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

seanw

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 11:22:53 am »

I looked at the Induro line but ended up buying a Benro. You can find them on Ebay shipping from China brand new. They look almost identical to the Induro except there is also a compass built into it.
It came with the user replaceable spiked feet, shoulder strap, built in level and carry case just as the Induro.

I used to use a Gitzo (not carbon fiber) and found it to be great quality but overpriced. Nowadays there are a lot of makers out there who are just as good but not as costly.

I am very happy with the Benro and even with international shipping it was still almost a third the cost of the comparable Gitzo.

Just be careful to choose the right model and compare apples to apples when it comes to weight, max load, length when folded, max & min height, etc...

BruceHouston

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 03:18:04 pm »

Thanks for the input, folks.

A corollary question is whether to buy the Induro ball head or to go with the Really Right Stuff (RRS) line that seems to be all the rage.

I will probably buy the Induro tripod rated for ~10 pounds load, because I cannot imagine using a Canon SLR + lens of greater weight or going to  medium format.  That would put me into the middle-capacity (BH-40) RRS ballhead.

I am trying to keep the weight down for backpacking/hiking purposes.

Any thoughts?

seanw

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 04:49:05 pm »

I have a Kirk BH-1 which is great but also on the heavy side. I do a lot of hiking so when I want to save weight I have a Giottos head with a Kirk quick release platform added.
Specifically I use the Giottos MH-1301 (bought from B&H cost $99). It's a nice small and light ballhead weighing only 14oz but is rated to 20lbs capacity. Then I added the Kirk QRC 1.75 (which has a built in level, cost $55). Total cost $155. I also looked at Kirk's smaller ballhead the BH-3 but it's $255.

I know you didn't ask about these brands but thought you might want to take a look. I think the new Giottos heads are often overlooked but they are really nice and a great value (as long as you add a different quick release platform as I listed above.)

BruceHouston

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 05:29:25 pm »

Yes, much appreciated Sean.  I know that Kirk is also one of the better manufacturers.

Other suggestions anyone, for the strongest, most stable tripod/head combination to mount about 8 pounds or less of camera gear?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 09:34:53 pm »

Feisol with kirk bh-3?

BruceHouston

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 11:27:28 pm »

Well, I just ordered an RRS BH-40 LR II with an L-plate for my 40D for $540.00 (gulp!).  Now I REALLY need to find a less expensive alternative to the Gitzo GT1540.

I will look at the Feisol CT-3442.  Any other suggestions?

Does anyone have experience with the Hakuba HG-6240C or the Carmagne 630 or 640?
Pages: [1]   Go Up