Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Lowepro Backpack  (Read 3827 times)

BruceHouston

New Lowepro Backpack
« on: February 01, 2008, 02:21:44 am »

Just when I needed to upsize to from a Slingshot 200 AW to a 300 AW, with the introduction of the Fastpack series Lowepro appears to have solved the oft-heard complaint of too much unbalanced weight due to the Slingshot's single shoulder harness .  If you have not seen it, the Fastpack swings to the front of the body and a zipper flap opens to expose its entrails for quick SLR camera-with-lens access like the Slingshot.  However, the new bag is an improvement in that it has two shoulder harnesses to balance the weight of a heavy bag.  Way to go, Lowepro!

But wait, there is a problem.  Even in the largest of the four Fastpack models, the inside height of the main compartment (the space for camera and lenses) has been reduced from 11.8 inches to 10.6 inches while the outside height has been increased by 2.0 inches.  Where did the missing three inches go?  In the junk compartment at the top of the bag!

Giving up space in the camera and lens compartment to add space in the junk compartment is a very bad idea.  The 11.8 inch inside height in the main compartment is absolutely necessary to contain three of today's lens diameters, 580EX II flashes, etc. plus the adjustable padding between.  Only tiny lenses like a 50mm f/1.4 will fit otherwise.  The smart money will go back to the drawing board on this one.  And please, Lowepro, do not omit the "AW" feature...it is very important when it rains!

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
New Lowepro Backpack
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 02:28:32 am »

Just when I needed to upsize to from a Slingshot 200 AW to a 300 AW, with the introduction of the Fastpack series Lowepro appears to have solved the oft-heard complaint of too much unbalanced weight due to the Slingshot's single shoulder harness .  If you have not seen it, the Fastpack swings to the front of the body and a zipper flap opens to expose its entrails for quick SLR camera-with-lens access like the Slingshot.  However, the new bag is an improvement in that it has two shoulder harnesses to balance the weight of a heavy bag.  Way to go, Lowepro!

But wait, there is a problem.  Even in the largest of the four Fastpack models, the inside height of the main compartment (the space for camera and lenses) has been reduced from 11.8 inches to 10.6 inches while the outside height has been increased by 2.0 inches.  Where did the missing three inches go?  In the junk compartment at the top of the bag!

Giving up space in the camera and lens compartment to add space in the junk compartment is a very bad idea.  The 11.8 inch inside height in the main compartment is absolutely necessary to contain three of today's lens diameters, 580EX II flashes, etc. plus the adjustable padding between.  Only tiny lenses like a 50mm f/1.4 will fit otherwise.  The smart money will go back to the drawing board on this one.  And please, Lowepro, do not omit the "AW" feature...it is very important when it rains!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171430\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I looked at these bags at PMA, and I have been one of those criticizing the single strap concept on the SlingShot 300.  I don't mind it on the 200, but when you need a little more gear and load up the 300, there is too much weight on one shoulder, and the bag tries to skew sideways even with the waist strap fastened.  I spent a week in Japan using the 300, and haven't used it since.

I like the new Fastpack, but I think the 2 larger size bags sizes were decided based on computers and not cameras.  The largest bag is designed to hold a 17" laptop, the one below it a 15" lap top.  So the bag has been reshaped for those that want to carry a laptop in the computer bag.

Not sure that was a smart move as you have pointed out ... but I'll probably get one or two of these new bags to replace my 2 slingshots.  I do think they're an improvement and will work for my selection of gear.

BruceHouston

New Lowepro Backpack
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 03:42:33 am »

I am glad that you were able to see the new bags, Wayne.

From the pictures, it appears that the computer compartments of the two larger bags affect the bag depth.  My problem is with the bag height (I mean the dimension from one's neck down to the waist.  With the bag mounted on a person's back, from bottom to top in the Slingshot 200 AW there is space in the bottom compartment for a first row of two lenses, then the barrel of the lens mounted on the camera, then a row of two more lenses at the top of the bottom compartment.  The triangular miscelleaneous or "junk" compartiment is at the very top.

But if you look at the new inside height dimension, it is reduced from the size of the Slingshot 200 AW.  Lowepro added two inches to the outside height dimension and reduced the inside height dimension of the camera and lens compartment, while adding height to the junk compartment.

You have seen the bag and I have only seen pictures, so maybe this change in the ratio of space between the lens and junk compartments had to do with the allocation of space for the laptop compartment; I do not know.  But if so, I wish that they would build a non-computer version with the same space as the Slingshot 300 AW.  In other words, they should have left the good attributes of the Slingshot series alone since they had a winner there and just fixed the shoulder problem that people were complaining about.

The bottom line is that it appears that the largest new model will not hold my:

40D with EF 70-200 f/4L IS attached
EF 24-105mm f/4L
EF-S 10-22mm
EF 50mm f/1.4

whereas the Slingshot 300 AW will, but will kill my should in the process of using it.

Also, they are apparently taking away the neat built-in rain cover.

yoni

• http://www.lighttrace.com
New Lowepro Backpack
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 06:39:07 am »

I have the slingshot 200 & 300. Either will work just fine with your equipment list. In the 300 I have comfortably carried considerably more than that on a regular basis

I have carried a tight load full on the 200, and that then starts to wreck havoc on the back-by tight load I am talking about a 5D, 24-105, 70-200 2.8, 300 f4, epson 2000 (its a squeeze, but can be done). However, reduce it down to your load and it will work well. The 300 carries the above load for prolonged periods.

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
New Lowepro Backpack
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 05:27:04 pm »

I just picked up a Fastpack 350. It comfortably holds the 70-200 f2.8 attached to the camera. It even holds my 300 f4 attached, but with no room to spare (which isn't a problem). Even with the lens collar and a lens cradle attached, it is not a problem (although you have to loosen and rotate the lens cradle).

Furthermore, if I have the 300 attached to the camera, the 200 fits nicely in one of the side spaces, leaving room on the other side for two more lenses. If the 200 is on the camera, the 300 can still go in the top compartment with lots of room left over to pack my lunch and other sundries.

The laptop feature will come in handy when flying, otherwise that compartment remains empty and unobtrusive (you won't even know it is there).

That's the living room test, next stop, the trails.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
New Lowepro Backpack
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 07:42:37 pm »

If I'm not out for a full day and don't want the complete backpack drama, I find the Slingshot 100 so convenient. With a custom insert it holds a 40D and attached L plate, 70-200 f4 IS and 24-105  f4 with either lens attached. Lens hoods and groundsheet in the top compartment and filters in a small camera pouch attached to the outside. I've removed the labels and it looks quite anonymous when carried around cities. Other stuff (flash, extra lens, water bottle etc) I put on a waist belt for hiking, and carry the tripod. So my shoulder doesn't get killed. You should be able to get your gear into the Slingshot 200 if you take a belt for the excess. Cheers, David
Pages: [1]   Go Up