Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100 -- Solution for 3" adapters  (Read 7601 times)

marty m

• http://
HP Z3100 -- Solution for 3" adapters
« on: February 01, 2008, 12:01:13 am »

I am creating a new thread, so this solution is not lost in the discussion of the adapters

When the Z3100 first was released, the separate spindles came without adapters.  And the adapters weren't even available.

Some of us ordered a 3" adapter for a different spindle and printer --

C6090-60112

This adapter fits on the "fixed" end just fine.  It has to be pushed on the removal part of the spindle and requires a little force. It is not a perfect fit -- but you can get it on OK.

This adapter is just *slightly* smaller.  It fits less tightly on the cores.

I've found that there is variation in cores.  For most paper cores the correct or standard adapter works fine.

For some cores that are smaller in diameter, like the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag, the C6090-60112 is perfect.  The very slight difference in size makes all the difference when you push it on and pull it off.

Using this other adapter is certainly easier and preferable to the methods described in the other thread -- taking springs off the standard adapter, using pliers and broom sticks, etc

For other cores (I believe Ink Jet Arts Ceramic is an example) the C6090-60112 would be too lose, and you want to use the standard adapter.  

One final tip for those in the US.  Do NOT order parts on the phone from HP.  The HP parts center, for parts like this (not for ink) is in a Central American nation.  And they are basically incompetent due to poor training.  This has nothing to do with their nationality.  It has everything to do with the fact that HP dumped the parts ordering in a nation where they probably pay the staff next to nothing, and then, to save more money, provide no training -- even on something as simple as charging a credit card, as explained below.

In the case of HP, on two different occasions they refused to process an order because they said my credit card was declined.  Well, that happened because the staff  ran the preapproval two or three times for some small amount, like one dollar.  Credit card companies are familiar with someone running a preapproval once for one dollar to prove the card is legitimate.  Then the vendor runs the card a second time for the actual amount.  But when a card is hit two or three times in a row for one dollar, the credit card companies and their automated computers assume that it is fraud, and they block the second or third preapproval.  So then the card is reported as declined, when in fact the fault was with the staff in the HP parts center who tried to hit the card for a lousy one dollar two or three times in a row.  And one other time they charged me for an item that never shipped.  In fact, they said the item didn't even exist -- yet they charged me for it!

Ever since then, when I order parts like an adapter, I only do it on line -- on the internet.  Then the HP automated system does it correctly, and charges my card once, and the order goes through.

I never thought I'd actually prefer computer automation over human interaction, but HP certainly taught me that lesson.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 01:48:15 pm by marty m »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 07:34:04 am »

I am creating a new thread, so this solution is not lost in the discussion of the adapters

When the Z3100 first was released, the separate spindles came without adapters.  And the adapters weren't even available.

Some of us ordered a 3" adapter for a different spindle and printer --

C6090-60112

This adapter fits on the "fixed" end just fine.  It has to be pushed on the removal part of the spindle and requires a little force. It is not a perfect fit -- but you can get it on OK.

This adapter is just *slightly* smaller.  It fits less tightly on the cores.

I've found that there is variation in cores.  For most paper cores the correct or standard adapter works fine.

For some cores that are smaller in diameter, like the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag, the C6090-60112 is perfect.  The very slight difference in size makes all the difference when you push it on and pull it off.

Using this other adapter is certainly easier and preferable to the methods described in the other thread -- taking springs off the standard adapter, using pliers and broom sticks, etc

For other cores (I believe Ink Jet Arts Ceramic is an example) the C6090-60112 would be too lose, and you want to use the standard adapter. 

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Related to this. If I want to order extra 44" spindles there are two codes  given that are compatible for the Z3100:  the "technical" spindle HP Q6698A and the "graphics" one HP Q6699A. The rest of the description isn't giving any information what the difference is and the images do not show differences either but one image is so small it is hard to see what it actually should show. As far as I can see both are for 2" cores and 3" adapters are needed. There are two adapter types and codes as I have seen in other threads. Is there a relation between the spindles and the adapters that one adapter type should be used on one spindle type only ? The adapter ordering codes are: Q1271-60629 and C6090-60112

The original 44" spindle that I have here has the following codes in the injection molded parts: On the fixed 2" black part on the spindle: Black C6095-40092, Blue C6095-40096, the removable blue 2" part: Black Q1271-40425 T610684, Blue Q5669-40686. The adapters are blue and have the code T610685 Q1271-40426.
The codes are not related to codes for ordering as far as I can understand. The 3" adapter is about 3.5 inches long, 2 metal springs at opposing sides .

Ernst Dinkla

Try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

dajaka

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 01:18:54 pm »

I ordered a replacement spindle for my Z3100 36"  a while ago and while I don't remember the part numbers the box did say "technical" on it.

The metal rod was gray instead of black like the graphics version. The main difference was that the end of the rod furthest away from where the paper is loaded had a hex shaped free wheeling thing on it rather than a circular free wheeling part. This caused some problems ( or concerns) because it would sometimes snap around in the cradle rather than let the rod turn freely.

This made me nervous so I took the plastic plate off  (this had broken on my first spindle) and attached it back on the black original spindle rod.

If I ordered another I would go for the graphics version. I didn't notice any difference in the 2" or 3" adapters.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 03:24:05 pm »

I ordered a replacement spindle for my Z3100 36"  a while ago and while I don't remember the part numbers the box did say "technical" on it.

The metal rod was gray instead of black like the graphics version. The main difference was that the end of the rod furthest away from where the paper is loaded had a hex shaped free wheeling thing on it rather than a circular free wheeling part. This caused some problems ( or concerns) because it would sometimes snap around in the cradle rather than let the rod turn freely.

This made me nervous so I took the plastic plate off  (this had broken on my first spindle) and attached it back on the black original spindle rod.

If I ordered another I would go for the graphics version. I didn't notice any difference in the 2" or 3" adapters.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you,

That's enough information for me to go ahead in ordering. When I get the parts I will specify the items by their code numbers in this thread for anyone who needs more confirmation.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:31:35 am »

The two (ordering code Q6699A) "graphics" spindles that I ordered arrived and are exactly the same as the one that came with my Z3100. The package includes the two blue cone shaped 3"adapters per spindle so no need to order separate ones. The cone shaped 3" adapter is about 3.5 inches long, 2 metal springs at opposing sides. So the three 44" spindles have the following codes in the injection molded parts: On the fixed 2" black part on the spindle: Black C6095-40092, Blue C6095-40096, the removable blue 2" part: Black Q1271-40425 T610684, Blue Q5669-40686. The adapters are blue and have the code T610685 Q1271-40426. The last codes are not related to codes for ordering as far as I can understand.

The plastic bag of the adapters says: Q6675-60053 3" adapter kit Troja Product of Spain so I guess that is the number if they have to be ordered separately. It is possible that they can not be ordered separately.

I also ordered one set of 3" adapters but they have not arrived yet (could be end of the month).  The adapter ordering code I used is: Q1271-60629. I really wonder what will be in that bag.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 10:39:44 am »

I also ordered one set of 3" adapters but they have not arrived yet (could be end of the month).  The adapter ordering code I used is: Q1271-60629. I really wonder what will be in that bag.

I ordered them last month seperately from HP Italy - you will get a box with the two blue cone shaped 3"adapters (made in Spain).

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 11:19:11 am »

I ordered them last month seperately from HP Italy - you will get a box with the two blue cone shaped 3"adapters (made in Spain).
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you, so one set of adapters too much after all.  I remembered a discussion on this list of some time ago where people ordered Z3100 spindles and didn't get the adapters included. Am I paranoia if I think that somewhere in the distribution chain extra bucks are earned by splitting up the goods in the boxes ? Didn't happen in my case and I ordered the spindles at the best price I could find, some shops had them 30% higher in price.

Ernst Dinkla

Pages: [1]   Go Up