Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom and DVD Archiving  (Read 3875 times)

Jens_Langen

Lightroom and DVD Archiving
« on: January 31, 2008, 10:17:02 pm »

I would like to use the Lightroom library instead of iView (our current solution) to organize and locate images, since we're already using Lightroom and want to simplify workflow. We archive maybe 40,000 photos a year.  Right now we burn all our images to sequentially numbered DVDs (2 copies) and then clear them off our drives. We scan the DVDs into iView, and iView makes thumbnails that are referenced to that particular DVD (eg. DVD 456). Can you set up Lightroom to direct you to your archived images on numbered DVDs? How to implement that? It seems that you almost need to set up numbered DVD folders on your hard drives ahead of time, but this prevents you from organizing folders and files optimally. Has anyone tried this type of workflow?

AdrianL

• http://
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 04:28:41 pm »

I am only an amateur, so my volume of images is not as high as a professional.
This is how I backup to DVD's. My purpose is to backup the LR files along with the LR chan
ges.
I create a YEAR folder, inside that  DVD_01, _02, _03, etc folders containing folders of my shoots.  Each DVD folder contains a maximum of 4 GB.
After I have finished working with that folder, I click on that folder, select all, then in LIBRARY, FILE,  
 EXPORT AS CATALOG  to a temporary folder on my desktop.  I then burn 2 DVD's and store one off site.
In the event of a crash, not only do I recover my files, IMPORT AS CATALOG, but also all my edits in LR.
In the future, I will have larger DVD folders, perhaps 25GB, blu-ray may be that vehicle.

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 10:18:28 am »

Along with AdrianL's answer if I was you I would post this question over on the DAM forum.  Probably nobody better to answer IView vs Lightroom questions than Peter Krogh.
CMurph

Jens_Langen

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 02:47:36 pm »

Thanks Craig and Adrian!
Pages: [1]   Go Up