Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Computer/Lightroom  (Read 2010 times)

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
New Computer/Lightroom
« on: January 31, 2008, 08:48:44 pm »

Just purchased a new notebook computer.  I installed Lightroom to it.  I have the database on a usb drive.

My main computer with all the raw/processed images is where I do all adjustments printing etc.
I use my notebook for field work and general selection of raw images that I might want to print.

The database still works fine with the desktop/main computer.
After installing Lightroom on the new computer I attached the usb hard drive to view (make sure it worked).  Many thumbnails no longer have an image but a blank space etc.  I hooked up the mybook of my raw files to the new notebook trying to get thumbnails loaded.  Some came through but still have about 1700 missing thumbnails.

Have I missed something in the new install?  I am assuming that the thumbnails are not stored on the database drive but the Lightroom program on each computer?

Anyone deal with this.   looking for a basic/simple solution (if there is one)

thanks for your reply

Some additional info   My desktop computer (main computer) is XP  the new notebook is Vista Home Premium
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:56:32 pm by larryg »

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
New Computer/Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 01:50:26 am »

I'm not sure this answers your question but here goes. I have Lightroom installed on a laptop and a desktop. On my portable usb drive I have my images and in the Lightroom folder I have 1) Lightroom Database Previews.lrdata
                    2)Lightroom Database.lrcat
                    3) the Lightroom Settings folder (containing presets, labels, templates etc)
That way nothing changes when I move from one computer to another, after editing or whatever. Hope that helps.
David

genemcc

• http://pixveritas.com
New Computer/Lightroom
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 07:54:35 am »

Yes, the YOUR LR NAME Previews.lrdata folder needs to be with your catalog to see the previews.
Gene
Li

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
New Computer/Lightroom
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 11:20:26 am »

This makes sense I will copy over the main Previews.Irdata folder and try it.

Thanks for your help
Pages: [1]   Go Up