Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there ANYTHING like Qimage for Mac?  (Read 20271 times)

hassiman

Is there ANYTHING like Qimage for Mac?
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:15:16 pm »

Just wondering if any has found any app or utility like Qimage in the Mac world?

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:42:33 pm »

Just wondering if any has found any app or utility like Qimage in the Mac world?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171355\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you're running one of the Macs with an Intel chip, you could certainly process your images on the Mac side and use the PC side for Qimage to print from.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 07:53:54 pm »

According to the QImage Yahoo group and the QImage website, QImage will run under Parallels on an Intel Mac:

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

Paul

hassiman

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 12:43:40 pm »

Would one profile the monitor on the mac side and SoftProof in Mac CS3 and then send it to Qimage which would have the printer's ICC profiles... or would all color management have to be done on the Qimage (windows) side?

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 05:27:31 pm »

It's still kind of quiet but ImageNest for the mac is about to be released. It is a great and simple image nesting and layout application with some similarities to Qimage:

http://www.bluecubit.com/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 10:07:16 pm by Onsight »
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 05:44:24 pm »

Would one profile the monitor on the mac side and SoftProof in Mac CS3 and then send it to Qimage which would have the printer's ICC profiles... or would all color management have to be done on the Qimage (windows) side?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171550\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Since you'd be running Windows, you'd need a Windows monitor profile (your Mac would technically be invisible to the Windows OS as well as Qimage). For the same reason, you'd need Windows/PC printer profiles, because color management is, again, handled by Windows, not OS X.

hassiman

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 05:49:14 pm »

This Imagenest seems like it could be a great thing if they can = Qimage's features and quality

drwillie

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 06:30:24 am »

This Imagenest seems like it could be a great thing if they can = Qimage's features and quality
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171640\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In reviewing the Imagenest features on the www.bluecubit.com website, there is no mention of print quality features like you would find in typical RIP software descriptions.  Based on the features described, it appears that Imagenest is primarily a print layout program.

alanmcf

• http://
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 12:57:22 pm »

Since you'd be running Windows, you'd need a Windows monitor profile (your Mac would technically be invisible to the Windows OS as well as Qimage).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171636\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
My two cents is that if you correct photos in PS you would not even need a monitor profile for QImage... just running my PC I never look at color in QImage... only in PS. Alan

mballent

• http://www.ballentphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 01:25:17 pm »

My two cents is that if you correct photos in PS you would not even need a monitor profile for QImage... just running my PC I never look at color in QImage... only in PS. Alan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171794\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is what I do as well... I do all the color correction in PS or Capture NX and save the file as a TIFF... then off to print.
-Michael
[url=http://www.ballentphoto.co

hassiman

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 02:10:32 pm »

So Doing my editing and soft proofing on the Mac side in CS3 or LightZone... the sending the TIFF file to Qimage on tyhe Windows side should work?

Epson 3800 ICC profiles would of course have to be also loaded in Qimage...??

ote=mballent,Feb 4 2008, 02:25 PM]
That is what I do as well... I do all the color correction in PS or Capture NX and save the file as a TIFF... then off to print.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172262\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

picnic

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 02:26:57 pm »

Epson 3800 ICC profiles would of course have to be also loaded in Qimage...??

Yes, you will do all your color management within the program (which basically consists of choosing your profile, turning off color management in your printer driver, and while not color management, you will also choose the correct media in the driver while in Qimage).  If you haven't tried the demo yet, be prepared, though Mike has altered the GUI, its still not the most intuitive program in the world LOL.  There's a great support email group though.

Diane
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 02:27:57 pm by picnic »

hassiman

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 02:41:59 pm »

I am just wondering how easy it will be to run Qimage in Parallels.  I had Parralels loaded (the older version 2 I think ) and I ended up never having to use it.  I imagine I will not have to profile my monitor for Qimage while in Windows VM... as I am doing all mu actual color correction, editing and softproofing while in MAC.

So I just have to make sure that Qimage running in Virtual Windows can see my 3800 and has its ICC profiles..?

Yes, you will do all your color management within the program (which basically consists of choosing your profile, turning off color management in your printer driver, and while not color management, you will also choose the correct media in the driver while in Qimage).  If you haven't tried the demo yet, be prepared, though Mike has altered the GUI, its still not the most intuitive program in the world LOL.  There's a great support email group though.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172278\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 11:45:04 pm »

check this out-

from Josh Lubbers...
Tyler

hassiman

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 12:55:07 am »

Josh,

Thanks.... I had heard of this program... I have e-mailed the developers with questions a number of times with exactly ZERO response.    Not a very good start for  a new product.

It looks like it could be interesting if they would tell me exactly WHAT it can do.  It is not clear if it automatically interpolates and sharpens at the printer level like Qimage.  The developers may not want prospective buyer to know that their program won't do that.

check this out-

from Josh Lubbers...
Tyler
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

adiallo

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 07:43:43 am »

The link was from Tyler. Josh Lubbers, the man until recently behind ColorBurst, is behind ImageNest. That bodes very well for this app. It's not quite ready for release, so specific questions will have to wait a bit. I wouldn't take their silence as an indication of lack of functionality or precision.
amadou diallo
[url=http://blogfiftygreat

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 09:26:31 am »

Sometimes something has to be posted twice before people take notice. :-]

I met with Josh at PMA this weekend and have been privy to this application for quite some time now. He and the developers are in lock down mode trying to release the 1.0 and demo versions within two weeks. Then they'll be in a better position to answer questions and such. If they answer questions now they won't get the product out the door. Of course, once the demo is available it should answer most of your questions anyway and that's the idea.

I too have asked about the interpolation issue and will respond when I find out. ImageNest is to be an affordable layout and nesting application. It utilizes OEM printers drivers and thus supports every printer that is supported on the Mac. It is not like a RIP in that it doesn't require the user to set ink limits, perform a linearization or make custom profiles. You can of course make your own profiles and use them interchangeably with any application that uses the same driver. The base calibration and screening are all handled at the driver level. ImageNest does handle the color management which as you can imagine get a bit complicated when you have lots of images in different color spaces nested on a page.

I personally see a good bit of people that buy expensive RIPs just for the nesting feature so I look forward to the possibility of being able to recommend ImageNest for it's simplicity and affordability.

Drivers used to deliver terrible color and a RIP allowed one to get far better quality out of a printer. Things have changed and drivers these days often deliver fantastic color that even some RIPs can't match. This product reflects and takes advantage of these changes and if it works well the consumer will be the big winner.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

mballent

• http://www.ballentphoto.com
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 11:54:05 am »

I personally see a good bit of people that buy expensive RIPs just for the nesting feature so I look forward to the possibility of being able to recommend ImageNest for it's simplicity and affordability.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Um it's intro price is $599 and the normal price is going to be $749 for 44" printers... I would hardly call that affordable... I can load Windows, parallels and Qimage for less than that and its a proven solution.
-Michael
[url=http://www.ballentphoto.co

duraace

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 12:30:38 pm »

check this out-

from Josh Lubbers...
Tyler
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Trying to download this gets me " under construction..." page.  Is this vaporware?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:30:54 pm by duraace »

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 02:36:53 pm »

Amadou just told me about it and I thought it was relevant to the thread. I really don't know anything about it other than what is presented on that page, and the knowledge that Josh Lubbers is accomplished and respected so it's probably worth looking into.
Amadou's your guy for the latest and greatest, our man on the street!
Tyler
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up