Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mac  (Read 1985 times)

Steven Draper

• http://www.stevendraperphotography.com
New Mac
« on: January 30, 2008, 06:29:25 pm »

Hello

When it comes to the hardware to process images on I have until now been using a 4year old mac book pro and its 17" screen!!!

I know have funds to upgrade a few things and a new system is to be bought. The aim of this is to speed up my workflow significantly, especially when it comes to managing large multi layered tiff files and provide a more stable screen environment.

I was wondering on the thoughts of viewers on how best to build a system. One apple rep said just connect a top spec laptop into a 30" monitor and you'll be happy. Another said just keep adding Ram until funds run out!!

So any thoughts from those who spend large parts of the day working at there Mac would be very useful.

Max hardware budget (including monitor) is 10k before tax but I'd obviously like to get away with spending less if I can!!

Many Thanks
Steven
image examples are at my website  [url=h

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
New Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 09:41:19 pm »

Here's an interesting article about "what's best" Mac or Win

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=979

dilip

New Mac
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 10:14:50 pm »

Though I have no doubt that a MacPro will giveyou a faster system overall, a MacBookPro, with the RAM maxed out is normally enough.  The external screen is an essential.

If the 4 year old system is the old PPC processors (which I'm pretty sure it is), then you'll see a world of a difference in the speed.

--dilip

Hello

When it comes to the hardware to process images on I have until now been using a 4year old mac book pro and its 17" screen!!!

I know have funds to upgrade a few things and a new system is to be bought. The aim of this is to speed up my workflow significantly, especially when it comes to managing large multi layered tiff files and provide a more stable screen environment.

I was wondering on the thoughts of viewers on how best to build a system. One apple rep said just connect a top spec laptop into a 30" monitor and you'll be happy. Another said just keep adding Ram until funds run out!!

So any thoughts from those who spend large parts of the day working at there Mac would be very useful.

Max hardware budget (including monitor) is 10k before tax but I'd obviously like to get away with spending less if I can!!

Many Thanks
Steven
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171114\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
New Mac
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 05:02:06 am »

I saw a test of the new Mac Pros Vs the pre-updated versions the other day and it seems that the default model [with memory and disks bought elsewhere] is gets you the best bang for your buck.
That's what I'll be buying.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up