Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need new mid-range zoom lens  (Read 2287 times)

henkelphoto

I need new mid-range zoom lens
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:03:03 pm »

Hi guys!

I'm looking for a new mid-range zoom lens. I've got a D70 right now and intend to buy a D300 by summer and am trying to find something to replace the crap Sigma 28-105 lens I now have. I'm planning on buying the Nikon 24-70 2.8, but if I can find a good third-party lens I could save some money. Do any of you know of a 24-70 or 28-70 2.8 lens made by Tokina, Tamron or Sigma that has equivelant quality of the Nikon? I still have film cameras that I use so am more interested in an FX lens than a DX lens.

Thanks!

Jerry

Tony Sx

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 08:59:41 am »

Hi guys!

I'm looking for a new mid-range zoom lens. I've got a D70 right now and intend to buy a D300 by summer and am trying to find something to replace the crap Sigma 28-105 lens I now have. I'm planning on buying the Nikon 24-70 2.8, but if I can find a good third-party lens I could save some money. Do any of you know of a 24-70 or 28-70 2.8 lens made by Tokina, Tamron or Sigma that has equivelant quality of the Nikon? I still have film cameras that I use so am more interested in an FX lens than a DX lens.

Thanks!

Jerry
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you tried [a href=\"http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/] Fred Miranda [/url]?
the 'reviews' are by individuals and so can't really be accused of too much bias.
there are reviews of Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses so you can at least compare scores....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:01:04 am by Tony Sx »

NashvilleMike

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 03:33:36 pm »

Unfortunately you used the key phrase "equivalent quality" in your question, so my answer is "no".

I own the 24-70/2.8 Nikkor and my opinion is that it is without any question one of the finest mid range zooms made (by anyone) and I'm quite particular about image quality. Both the objective and subjective reviewers who have reviewed it so far have given it very high praise.

This does not mean you can't "get by" with a cheaper 3rd party alternative, but it's not going to be the same.

At the end of the day it comes down to your budget and philosophy. My approach to lens purchases is that I'd rather buy the best glass I can afford, one time, instead of getting into a cycle  of buy/sell/trade.

Excellent glass is a good investment in that you won't generally be replacing it as often as the nice shiny new DSLR temptresses, er, bodies that come out every year or two

However, the decision is a personal one. The lens is rather rare at the moment, but perhaps you can borrow one from a friend or rent one once they become more available and make your own decision. I'd make the comparisons on a D300 body if I could - the higher resolution body will both stress and show off the lens quality more than the D70 would.

Hope this helps.

-mike

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 03:48:12 pm »

Hi guys!

Thanks!

Jerry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171086\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tamron 28-75 is about as good as you'll get without buying the real thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up