Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3" core adaptors from Z3100  (Read 5554 times)

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
3" core adaptors from Z3100
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:02:46 am »

The title says it all really!  

Hi all,
I had to use the 3" core adapter for a paper roll yesterday, but there seems no easy way getting them back out of the core, it's jammed in so solid, I don't want to use a screwdriver to lever it out without damaging the edges of the paper still on the roll.

Is this normal? or am I missing something, or has HP done this so I buy more adaptors for all my rolls and can only remove it when the paper runs out.

Not sure what to do, any ideas? I sound pathetic I know.  

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:32:17 am »

Hi all,
I had to use the 3" core adapter for a paper roll yesterday, but there seems no easy way getting them back out of the core, it's jammed in so solid, I don't want to use a screwdriver to lever it out without damaging the edges of the paper still on the roll.

Is this normal? or am I missing something, or has HP done this so I buy more adaptors for all my rolls and can only remove it when the paper runs out.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170898\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've done okay pinching one end between my feet and yanking the other end off with my hands. Others have posted a fix that involves pulling two of the four little springs out of the adapters to reduce the pressure that wedges them into the cardboard core.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 06:32:54 am »

Hi all,

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170898\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, a pretty common complaint.  I use a small pair of pliers and carefully lift one side then the other until the core adapter comes out.  Not elegant but it works.  Some folks report its much easier after you remove the metal "springs" from the adapter.
Regards,
Ron

ltphoto

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:57:21 am »

There's an easier way. I hold the paper (wearing cotton gloves) and push down on the floor with the movable core end down. This pushes out the fixed end of the spindle and core. Then reinsert the spindle, but offset so that it does not go through the hole in the movable core that is still in the other end. Push down on the spindle and the other core pops out. Whole things takes about 10 seconds.

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 09:15:02 am »

There's an easier way. I hold the paper (wearing cotton gloves) and push down on the floor with the movable core end down. This pushes out the fixed end of the spindle and core. Then reinsert the spindle, but offset so that it does not go through the hole in the movable core that is still in the other end. Push down on the spindle and the other core pops out. Whole things takes about 10 seconds.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170941\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was afraid to try that because of fear of damaging the spindle end.  However, an old broomstick did the job fine, tapping on the adapter from the inside of the tube.  Having to do that twice, though, was enough for me.  I carefully removed 2 of the 4 metal springs (if you carefully examine them, and even lift the ends with a small screwdriver you will see how to remove them).  The adapters retain enough friction to function well, but they are much easier to slip out when you need to.

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 06:49:30 am »

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions, I think I will take a couple of the springs out, seems the cleanest method. And glad I'm not the only one having the problem.

marty m

• http://
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 01:53:58 pm »

See my other thread.  I thought I'd add here, as well, that there is a simple solution to the problem of the 3" adapters.  This works, and in IMHO is easier than using pliers, broomsticks, or taking pieces off the standard adapters.

In the case of those rolls with smaller diameter cores, order the following 3" adapter for a different spindle and printer --

C6090-60112

This adapter fits on the "fixed" end of the Z3100 spindle just fine. It has to be pushed on the removal part of the spindle and requires a little force. It is not a perfect fit -- but you can get it on OK.

This adapter is just *slightly* smaller. It fits less tightly inside the cores.

For those cores that are smaller in diameter, like the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag, the C6090-60112 is perfect. The very slight difference in size makes all the difference when you push it on and pull it off.

For other cores (I believe Ink Jet Arts Ceramic is an example) the C6090-60112 would be too lose, and you want to use the standard adapter.

When you order these, do it on-line -- not by calling them -- as I explained in my other thread.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 01:55:04 pm by marty m »

DotCom Editor

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 07:50:45 pm »

Are they really necessary at all?

I've put some 3" cores on the spindle without the blue 3" core adapters. Must say, I have not run into a problem.

marty m

• http://
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 08:35:22 pm »

Are they really necessary at all?

I've put some 3" cores on the spindle without the blue 3" core adapters. Must say, I have not run into a problem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm not sure how you are doing that.  The HP spindles are made for the HP 2" cores.  Without the adapters the 3" cores would spin around freely.  

Many of the Epson printers actually turn the spindles, or appear to do so, with a gear.  Adapters would be critical for such a printer, that actually turns the spindle

The 3100 appears to just let the spindle spin freely.  So I guess your method would work, but there is no tension, and I assume the paper might unroll some in the back.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 08:36:31 pm by marty m »

Min

• http://www.MinEnghauser.com
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 03:39:33 pm »

i do it like Itphoto does...but not at all gently! i jab it with the spindle and it pops out...so far so good.

but it brings me to another question...

after a round or two with HP support i finally got what i thought was the part number for the core adapters like the ones that came with the printer (i had ordered another spindle that did not come with the adapters). however when the adapters came they were nothing like the originals...they were shrter and squared off and difficult to use, but they did what i need them to do.

i have since scored a set of the really nice adapters from a friend that go on and off the spindles with ease...but neither of us know the part number...does anyone know?

min

rdonson

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »

The standard ones for a Z3100

3" core adapters
- Part number: Q1271-60629
- Can only be ordered in the US via phone
- 1-800-227-8164
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up