Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to mount prints for show display  (Read 7624 times)

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
How to mount prints for show display
« on: January 29, 2008, 11:23:15 pm »

For anyone that prints for retail, gallery or show use - what are the various ways to mount the prints or show them to prevent damage?  I will be doing local art shows/fairs, etc. with a small booth, and will have my catalog of prints here in my home studio for viewing and selection.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 11:46:20 pm by kaelaria »

LoisWakeman

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 05:23:39 am »

I have put mine in galleries either ready-framed, or matted with backing board for standard frame sizes, and wrapped in heavy cellophane (florists' supply I think).

I tried archival polyester sleeves for the latter, but these quickly 'frost' in a browser and look very tatty. Cello is easy to replace cheaply.

sojournerphoto

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:47:06 am »

I have put mine in galleries either ready-framed, or matted with backing board for standard frame sizes, and wrapped in heavy cellophane (florists' supply I think).

I tried archival polyester sleeves for the latter, but these quickly 'frost' in a browser and look very tatty. Cello is easy to replace cheaply.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170902\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agree, a few framed and then some ready matted to conservation standard. I tend not to go for standard frame sizes as I lie even borders. Probably hurts sales though!

Mike

chilehead

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 08:38:26 am »

Alain Briot has some excellent suggestions in some of his articles on this site.

Lois:  I have not tried the cellophane.  Do you just seal these with tape?

I use "crystal clear bags" for protecting the photos.  One source for these types of bags is www.clearbags.com.  If you use these, be sure to get the bags with the adhesive on the BAG, not the flap.  A large photo stuck to the flap is no fun.

Some galleries/frame shops actually like getting non-standard size photo/matte combos for sale as it can help provide them with custom framing business.

- Edit:  Forgot to mention the mounting!  I mount to foamcore.  Alain mentions "backerboard" in one of his articles, but I have not tried it.  Foamcore has issues (dents easily, hard to cut, somewhat bulky).

Mark
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:00:25 am by chilehead »

tomm101

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 11:14:01 am »

There is a harder foam core, between standard and Gator but still paper so it is relatively easy to cut. Coda Products sell it www.codamount.com/.
I generally use buffered mount board with white interior. www.blick.com sells Cresent board for $5 or so a 32x42 sheet, www.framingsupplies.com has it for less, but I find their website tough to navigate in that area.
As for bagging, definitly go for the self sealing variety. I have also seen photographers use shrink wrap bags, not sure of a source.

Tom

framah

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 07:00:50 pm »

Don't buy "buffered" mats. All that means is that there is an alkaline buffer in the paper that helps to neutralize the acids from the wood pulp. Of course, when the buffer is used up, any acid left over can still affect your print. This can happen in as little as 3 to 4 years.

Open your wallet a bit more and buy acid free, rag mats to use as a backer board. You should be using only rag mats for the top mat also.
One of the biggest no-nos I see in my store is a customer comes in with a print they bought and the artist has used the cheapest junk they can find to mat and mount.  Of course, some customers insist that I use what the artist put on it because, after all, they are the artist! Surely, they know what's best for their art! Right?

Rarely!

Oh, and please... stop using all manner of tape to attach the image to the back of the mat!  That includes not using Duct tape!!   First, do not attach the art to the back of the mat! This is the surest way to damage the print when someone opens the package and lifts the mat only to tear the print.  Always attach it to the rag backer board or to the rag coated, acid free foam core. Also do not tape the piece all the way around. This only makes the paper ripple into the center as there is no where else for it to go when it expands from temp/humidity. Only hinge it from the top about 1/4 the way from each end.

If all this costs you $20 more in materials, then you just increase the selling price $40.
Seriously, $40 more will not chase customers away.
When the customer sees that you are serious about displaying your art, they will be more willing to pay more for it.

I just had to rant a bit about one of my pet peeves. Thanks.  

By the way... you can use Corplast behind the rag backer board to stiffen the package. It is archival and will not damage the art in any way.

Ok. now I'm done.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 09:07:50 pm »

Bill Atkinson demo's his mounting/matting techniques in LLVJ-15 - sounds like it might be very appropriate for your needs

-John

kaelaria

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 09:30:29 pm »

I have that ( I have all of them) and it's very helpful, however I didn't know if that type of mounting was appropriate for shows/retail.

Thanks for all the helpful info guys!

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 10:33:55 pm »

I have tried standard size   both hinge mounted  and vacu-sealed (mounted).

I am now going to maximize the Canon file size   i.e. 8 by 12  16x24 etc. and have the mattes hinge mounted and then purchase frames to fit the mount.

A lot really depends on where you are showing. In the midwest (outside of Chicago)  price is a predominant issue.   So the more standardizaton the lower the cost for you and the more wiggle room you have.

As far as what to put the mattes in (other than a frame, of course)  When I did the standard sizes I purchased celophane sleeves that fit each size and put the matted piece inside the sleeve.  This worked well to protect the print with a good presentations.
I now us shrink wrap to do the same.  

There are a ton of resources on this site for answers.

kaelaria

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 10:47:34 pm »

Does anyone have example pictures of your presented product?

LoisWakeman

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »

Lois:  I have not tried the cellophane.  Do you just seal these with tape?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170950\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes. I use the magic Scotch tape that almost disappears.

AndyF2

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 09:53:49 pm »

Our local store (Wallack's, Ottawa ON) carries "Krystal Seal" art storage sleeves. They appear to be well made.  "Archival and Crystal Clear; resealable flap" A manufacturer site doesn't turn up through Google; made by HG Art Concepts.  The bags are 2 mil polypropylene, $20 for a pack of 20 16.5"x22" bags.

I haven't used these extensively so I don't know how well they tolerate handling but perhaps they're better than the polyester ones.

A search for "Krystal Seal" turns up a few places that sell them.
Andy

fdi

• http://www.framedestination.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 04:53:19 pm »

I have a lot of introductory info about picture frame mounting here:
mounting techniques, framing info, Newsletter archive

Most galleries sell framed images. How archival your framing methods need to be will vary depending on the price points of your work and typical clientele of the gallery. Artshow sales are primarily matted prints. Although some sales will be framed work, the framed images are primarily used to attract customers into the booth. The most common method is matted with a 4-ply mat to 1/8 inch foamcore and then covered with a clear bag such as these clearbags. 3/16 foamcore is better for framing, however, you fit more images into an artshow booth if you use the smaller 1/8 inch. Using archival acid free mats and foamcore or standard paper mats and foamcore again depends on your price points. If you are selling more at the flea market level you don’t need to use acid free. Some people will just place the image in a clearbag with some 1/16 inch backer board but that looks much less profession than matted and mounted to foamcore.

Cheers,
Mark
Picture Frame Destination, Inc.
Mark Rogers
Frame Destination [url=https

kaelaria

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 05:10:03 pm »

What is the best method to attach to the foamcore for these kinds of displays?

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 07:54:51 pm »

I usually attached the foamcore to the matte with ATG tape (double sided tape)

You can also use the T-Hinge method as demonstrated by Bill Atkinson in the DVD

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.unitedmfrs.com/

Here is a source for most of your supplies.  The first page has the ATG tape displayed.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 07:57:03 pm by larryg »

kaelaria

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 11:28:32 pm »

Awesome, thank you for that link, those prices are much more in line with what I was expecting.  I have been finding 2-3x those elsewhere.

I use the t-hinge mthod when I actually frame, I just didn't know if it was the best choice for use in wrappers too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up