Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuhle FA Bartya on Canon - which media type?  (Read 2994 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Hahnemuhle FA Bartya on Canon - which media type?
« on: January 29, 2008, 11:01:23 pm »

Ive just bought a couple of boxes of the Hahnemuhle FA Bartya to try as I have decided the Harman is just a tad too glossy for me.

What media settings are people using with this paper?
Semi-Gloss or Glossy?

Ta.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 11:11:59 pm »

Ive just bought a couple of boxes of the Hahnemuhle FA Bartya to try as I have decided the Harman is just a tad too glossy for me.

What media settings are people using with this paper?
Semi-Gloss or Glossy?

Ta.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170822\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Never mind - found it on Hahnemuhle's website as Semi-Gloss with a canned profile.

Any tried the canned profile?

Ta.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

marcmccalmont

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 01:19:29 am »

I had good luck on special 2 and a custom profile (iPF5000)
Marc
Marc McCalmont

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 01:37:54 am »

You might find this surface unattractive, because it's rather pebbled.  It doesn't look much like an air-dried F-type gelatin silver paper.  

If you don't like it for this reason, try  Epson Exhibition Fiber, which prints very well with Canon inks.  In surface texture it falls between Harman's gloss & Hahnemuehle's pebbliness.  

Another suggestion for Canon printing:  Don't bother with the Ilford GFS that Michael liked because of its warmer paper base.  With Canon inks the gloss differential is considerable.  (Maybe he used an HP printer & gloss optimizer?)

Kirk

Josh-H

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 04:37:48 am »

You might find this surface unattractive, because it's rather pebbled.  It doesn't look much like an air-dried F-type gelatin silver paper. 

If you don't like it for this reason, try  Epson Exhibition Fiber, which prints very well with Canon inks.  In surface texture it falls between Harman's gloss & Hahnemuehle's pebbliness. 

Another suggestion for Canon printing:  Don't bother with the Ilford GFS that Michael liked because of its warmer paper base.  With Canon inks the gloss differential is considerable.  (Maybe he used an HP printer & gloss optimizer?)

Kirk
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks - I actually chose this paper over the Epson and Ilford as I really like its 'tooth'.

I have seen a few samples of the ilford and personally I found it a looked a little to warm for my tastes. I would rather print to a more neutral paper and make my adjustments for warmth/coolness in the image. Each to his own though.

I have been  abig fan of Hahnemuhle Museum Etching for its wonderful stippled or tooth - I just like it.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

picnic

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 06:35:53 am »

You might find this surface unattractive, because it's rather pebbled.  It doesn't lo
Another suggestion for Canon printing:  Don't bother with the Ilford GFS that Michael liked because of its warmer paper base.  With Canon inks the gloss differential is considerable.  (Maybe he used an HP printer & gloss optimizer?)

Kirk

In his review of the baryta papers, Michael states that "prints were primarily made with an Epson 3800" with some printed on a 7800 and HPZ3100.

Diane

sojournerphoto

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 07:45:28 am »

You might find this surface unattractive, because it's rather pebbled.  It doesn't look much like an air-dried F-type gelatin silver paper. 

If you don't like it for this reason, try  Epson Exhibition Fiber, which prints very well with Canon inks.  In surface texture it falls between Harman's gloss & Hahnemuehle's pebbliness. 

Kirk

I'm using the ilford in my IPF5000 and, despite the gloss differential, am very pleased. I found the Harman a bit too cool for my tasteand haven't yet tried the Hahne paper.

Josh, I also like the white etching by hahne.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up