Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Qimage Studio Edition & RAW files  (Read 4526 times)

Farkled

Qimage Studio Edition & RAW files
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:43:24 pm »

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

My question is:  Will Qimage Studio Edition print edited RAW files?

Question Explanation:  Both ACR and DPP store edits as metadata.  Does Qimage read and account for the metadata when printing a RAW file?  Customer Service/Tech Support will only say that they print what they are presented - which is a non-answer.  DPP stores the edits in XMP files while ACR stores in the DNG or XMP.

From a work and storage flow perspective, ACR and DPP will handle about 95% of my editing needs - I don't do much extensive pixel level editing in PS.  It would make life convenient and cut down storage if I could just print from the RAW files without having to go to intermediate formats just to print for the majority of my images.

TIA

Panopeeper

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 08:03:44 pm »

DPP stores the edits in XMP files while ACR stores in the DNG or XMP.
Have you ever seen such an "XMP" file, created by DPP?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 08:04:06 pm by Panopeeper »
Gabor

Farkled

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 08:42:30 pm »

Have you ever seen such an "XMP" file, created by DPP?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170794\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't remember.  Is it not a stream of XML text?

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 09:01:07 pm »

ACR doesn't edit the RAW file.  I don't know of any software that does edit the RAW file.

It applies changes before sending it off to PS in the colorspace of your choice or saves your intended changes as meta data.  You have to save it from there into some file format for the ACR changes to be realized.
Regards,
Ron

Panopeeper

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 09:26:08 pm »

I don't remember.  Is it not a stream of XML text?

DPP can store the adjustments either in the raw file or in a separate file, but the format is proprietory in either case.
Gabor

Panopeeper

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 09:38:38 pm »

ACR doesn't edit the RAW file.  I don't know of any software that does edit the RAW file.

ACR does edit the raw file, but it does not change the raw data; several other raw processors behave this way. This is more than a subtle difference.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 09:39:01 pm by Panopeeper »
Gabor

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 10:23:23 pm »

ACR does edit the raw file, but it does not change the raw data; several other raw processors behave this way. This is more than a subtle difference.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170808\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can you explain how ACR edits the RAW file?  I'm not understanding your point.  Unless I'm missing something my RAW files are not modified by ACR.
Regards,
Ron

Panopeeper

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 10:32:35 pm »

Can you explain how ACR edits the RAW file?

ACR does not change the native raw files, but it does change the DNG raw files. Farkled posted DPP stores the edits in XMP files while ACR stores in the DNG or XMP.

If you are working with native raw files, the adjustments are stored by ACR either in ACR's data base or in XMP sidecar files.
Gabor

Lewis_Levin

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 01:43:36 am »

I asked Mike Chaney this and got a reply.   Qimage prints the raw file "as is."  Edits to the raw file made with ACR or Lightroom (same engine as ACR) are stored as proprietary "edit instructions" in the xmp file.  Qimage cannot interpret the "edit instructions" in the xmp file.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 01:49:08 am »

My question is:  Will Qimage Studio Edition print edited RAW files?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170788\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
According to the Qimage forum the answer is no. In Lightroom you can set up Qimage as the additional external editor, and select Photo/edit in Qimage and choose "edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments". This is pretty quick. Perhaps there is a similar possibility in ACR. David

Farkled

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 03:41:29 am »

I asked Mike Chaney this and got a reply.   Qimage prints the raw file "as is."  Edits to the raw file made with ACR or Lightroom (same engine as ACR) are stored as proprietary "edit instructions" in the xmp file.  Qimage cannot interpret the "edit instructions" in the xmp file.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170864\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you sir.  Finally, the direct answer I was looking for.

Farkled

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 03:44:34 am »

According to the Qimage forum the answer is no. In Lightroom you can set up Qimage as the additional external editor, and select Photo/edit in Qimage and choose "edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments". This is pretty quick. Perhaps there is a similar possibility in ACR. David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you.  That's very interesting.  At this point, however, I'm not going to buy Lightroom and upgrade Qimage on the possibility.  Probably cheaper to just buy another disk to store the few print files that I will create.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 06:11:56 am »

Thank you.  That's very interesting.  At this point, however, I'm not going to buy Lightroom and upgrade Qimage on the possibility.  Probably cheaper to just buy another disk to store the few print files that I will create.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170884\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I see DPP also has the ability to open in Qimage in it's batch processor ( down the bottom in "image transfer settings") . You could set the save folder to a place where the images can be junked after batch processing and  just wait for them to be opened in Qimage . Not a super fast method but at least only one or two clicks.
David

rdonson

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 06:30:50 am »

ACR does not change the native raw files, but it does change the DNG raw files. Farkled posted DPP stores the edits in XMP files while ACR stores in the DNG or XMP.

If you are working with native raw files, the adjustments are stored by ACR either in ACR's data base or in XMP sidecar files.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170816\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep, adjustment changes stored in XMP files or data within the DNG - that's meta data to a computer geek like me.  The original RAW file does not get changed/edited.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up