Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boulder City, NV and surrounds  (Read 2410 times)

kate61

Boulder City, NV and surrounds
« on: January 29, 2008, 05:52:36 pm »

Considering a short trip next weekend to accompany my sister to the Dam Short Film Festival in Boulder City, NV (half hour south-east of vegas). While she'll be doing the movie-maker thing most of the time, I'd like to take a day or half day to venture out to shoot some landscape. My first thought was Zion until i realized it was 3 hours away. Six hours is too much driving for a day. Any suggestions for anything within an hour or so of Boulder City????  Thanks in advance for any tips.

henkelphoto

Boulder City, NV and surrounds
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:18:57 pm »

Hi there!

Well, there's Hoover Dam, of course! The drive down to the dam is about 15-30 minutes from BC depending on traffic. They're building a very high overpass over the river so if your into architectural photography that can make for some fun images. Also, at Hemmenway (not sure about the spelling but it is NOT like Ernest) Park, you can view Desert Big Horn Sheep in the early mornings and late afternoons munching on the grass. Of course, no one can guarantee the sheep will show up. If you want to drive a bit further, you can visit Valley of Fire State Park, about 40 miles north of Vegas, that would make it about a 70-mile drive one way, but it's freeway most of the way. Very beautiful rock formations and sand in colors from light yellow to deep red. Best to visit at dawn or late afternoon. And there's the city of Boulder City itself. It's kind of quaint, in a way. The old Reclaimation building is a WPA marvel. There's a number of little diners in town that lend themselves to fun photos and also a nice hotel. Almost every weekend, there's some sort of festival going on in the parks.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up