Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebuilding from back up  (Read 1895 times)

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Rebuilding from back up
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:04:51 pm »

Some pictures I shot in Thailand recently did a Houdini impression leaving only the thumbs in LR - however - they never popped up red.  In the Library module, when  I zoom in, it pops up "File "img xyz.jpg" is offline or missing"

Now, I have found the missing full rez pics - how do I reimport them? Since I found them in Finder in /home/pictures/download backups do I put them back in Finder?

At the same time, I learnt that my "infallible" backup is - actually - not even backed up.  My external drive holds backups of the LR database but not my actual files.....so - my next question is how to I get LR to back up not only it's database but also my files to my external drive.  I suspect I won't be so lucky next time....

Sorry for being thick

Charly

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Rebuilding from back up
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 06:38:20 am »

Please???

Jon Meddings

Rebuilding from back up
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 09:18:37 am »

Please???
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171467\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Let me try a bit for you. First, I'm running on XP and not a Mac but I suspect that the principles are the same.

LR is a database program and when you make changes 'to a picture' you are really not doing that. Instead you are writing a series of commands to a database file that alters the way the original image appears on your screen or subsequently prints.

When you back up your LR database you are only backing up those commands. I hope this is understandable as it is a crucial point.

So any backup of your photography 'system' requires a couple of steps

1. Back up LR and the database - this is your catalog system and all the changes you've made to the images
2. Back up your original image files - without these the database is useless as you've found out.
3. Back up any other output files that you might wish to keep that are in separate directors - eg files for Qimage or other printing program

Here's how I do my system.

I keep my LR database on a local drive (e:), I keep all my RAW images on a network device (X:) and I have another standalone backup device (Z:)

1. Each week LR backs up its database to X:
2. Whenever I add new pictures to X: with Downloader Pro it invokes a script at the end of the run that does the following

a) copies all image files from X: to Z:
 copies all the LR database backups from X: to z:
c) copies all other important files from x: to z:

Since Z: is a removable drive I replace this from time to time and keep one copy off site that has all of my 30,000 images, the catalog etc on it.  It is a simple system and really completely automated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up