Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone use "Print Shield" + canvas?  (Read 19379 times)

Doyle Yoder

Anyone use "Print Shield" + canvas?
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 03:11:52 pm »

I used to spray some and mostly roll coat canvas with liquid laminates (Glammor II and Printshield).

I now use heat set film laminate. The quality/look is so much better. No cleanup, no dust/dirt, no overspray, no waiting for canvas to dry. I can print 40' roll to roll and then laminate roll to roll. Only in rare cases would I go back to liquid spraying or roll coating. And one more thing the retaining of the canvas is texture is completely there. Something I could never achieve with a liquid coating.

Doyle

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 06:09:41 pm »

Just to give you a idea in the time since I last posted I have laminated 2400 sq. ft. of canvas. That was 35 canvas prints all trimmed and ready to stretch.

Doyle

nickdavis

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 10:09:44 pm »

Just to give you a idea in the time since I last posted I have laminated 2400 sq. ft. of canvas. That was 35 canvas prints all trimmed and ready to stretch.

Doyle
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174673\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's rather impressive. Now I feel like a slacker. I only printed an 8.5x11 on my laser printer

Doyle, what laminating equipment and film are you using, and what canvas? Also, I haven't heard of laminating canvas. Is there any downside as far as longevity is concerned, as the canvas is unable to "breathe"?

ternst

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 06:44:40 am »

Doyle:

Man, I would love to hear about the products that you use. And I wonder if your math is really correct (or is it too early for me to divide correctly?) - you are saying that you did all of this in less than three hours? That would be 600 running feet of 44" wide canvas (35 - 17' long prints on 15 rolls). In three hours, really? That must be one monster you laminate with running at high speed! Details would be great. Thanks..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 06:46:48 am by ternst »

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 06:58:40 am »

Whops, I had an extra 0 there. that should have been around 240 sq ft. little over 60ft. of 42" canvas.

This was on Breathing Color canvas with Seal's heat set Print Guard laminate. The laminator is a Seal 6100 Ultra.

As for allowing the canvas to breath I don't see where it would be any different than liquid coating. This also allows you to print with the extra gamut of gloss canvas and not worry about the non water resistant problem of liquid coating gloss canvas.

And it make for a much tougher finish.

The only down side I see is that the finish is to perfect and does not look hand done. It make the canvas I little bit more ridged than liquid coatings. I use a stretching machine so that is not an issue for me.

PM me if you want any samples.

Doyle
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 07:01:58 am by DYP »

ternst

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 08:07:18 am »

Thanks Doyle - I feel a lot better now! I thought my calculator was waay off...That is still a lot of canvas though...

SouthFla

• http://www.imagesbyjda.com
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 06:43:18 pm »

Hey all, just a quick update for any of you following the thread...

Just finished my first roll of canvas and thought I'd share my results.  I printed on a 44" roll of PremierArt Smooth Matte Canvas and absolutely LOVED the results.  Granted, I've not yet printed on another type of canvas, so take that for what it's worth, but I find the results amazing.  I printed, coated and stretched +10 30"x40" prints and a bunch of various size panos, and I really am happy with how things worked out.

I bought a Wagner HLVP "Spray Tech Control Spray" gun, and used Premier Art's Satin Eco Print Shield.  The gun and Eco went on smoothly and perfectly; three light coats and the results look great.

I bought Heavy Duty Stretcher Bars from Utrecht, and am using a $40 electric staple gun with stainless steel staples.

I have to admit that the whole canvas printing, coating and stretching was WAY easier to learn and "master" if you will than learning to properly cut mats, mount on backing boards, and frame my work.  

I've got 3 shows in the next 5 weeks, so I'm anxious to see how my canvas work is received.  Many thanks again for all of your input and guidance.

Cheers!

John

"I don't photograph the world as it is.

mcmorrison

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 01:27:24 pm »

Hello,

In the Eco Print Shield video tutorials ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0DxcN5w0Nw ), it is recommended to use gloss for the first coats, and the preferred finish, gloss, satin, or matte for the final coat. Are folks using the same finish for all three coats, or using gloss and finishing with the preferred gloss level?

Thanks!

Michael Morrison
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up