Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFDBs and lens resolution....  (Read 1912 times)

Dinarius

MFDBs and lens resolution....
« on: January 29, 2008, 08:58:34 am »

Given all the talk over on the Digtal Cameras forum about the new Canon and the shortcomings of some of the lenses on the 21Mp sensor - the thread is here>

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....=0&#entry170564

I have just received my new 1Ds Mk3 and am one of those finding some of the glass well short of the mark.

I am also about to take delivery of a H3D2 39Mp MS. Since this will be my first MFDB, I am curious to know, from those with more experience, if MFDB glass is keeping up with increasing sensor size, in terms of resolution?

I have ordered the zoom and the 80mm.

TIA,

D.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 08:59:14 am by Dinarius »

NicholasR

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:18:48 am »

Given all the talk over on the Digtal Cameras forum about the new Canon and the shortcomings of some of the lenses on the 21Mp sensor - the thread is here>

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....=0&#entry170564

I have just received my new 1Ds Mk3 and am one of those finding some of the glass well short of the mark.

I am also about to take delivery of a H3D2 39Mp MS. Since this will be my first MFDB, I am curious to know, from those with more experience, if MFDB glass is keeping up with increasing sensor size, in terms of resolution?

I have ordered the zoom and the 80mm.

TIA,

D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170566\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If I am not mistaken, the pixel density of the 39MP backs is somewhere between the 1Ds2 and 1Ds3 densities, so it isn't pushing the envelope quite as far.  Also, in MF there are far fewer zooms, and image quality takes priority over such piddly things ans handling, speed, AF, etc.

Anyway, in my (very) limited experience, using the Hasselblad 28mm and 80mm, I am not limited by lens resolution at this point.

My guess is that many of the older MF lenses are or could be challenged.  The new ones, by every manufacturer, seem to be of very high quality.  Indeed, they must be to compete with the ever increasing quality of the 35mm crowd.  There really doesn't seem to be the level of complaining and hand wringing about lens quality in this board.  Quite refreshing.   Pick the focal length you need, shell out way too much money, and move forward.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 10:49:36 am »

rodenstock 45mm lens (not HR) displays better image quality than my Mamiya AFD lens equivalent. I can only shudder to think how much better the HR will be.

image quality is very good but hopefully there will be lenses made to take full advantage of the high resolution of the digital backs...

robert zimmerman

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 11:19:48 am »

i use a leaf aptus 22. on my contax 645 i had some lens issues with the 80mm and 140mm. c.a. and just plane softness under f5,6 (f8 with the 80) which i didn't have when shooting film.
i now have anh2 and with the hassy hc lenses 50mm an 100mm no problems, razor sharp, almost too sharp for people. i've also used the h3d II 39 a couple of times with the zoom and saw that same sharpness.

maybe my contax lenses were weak versions but i had the feeling they couldn't resolve enough detail under f11 with a digital back. nothing i can back up with scientific proof, just what i saw when using it. on the other hand, it looked nice when doing portraits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up