Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with an X-Rite Pulse system  (Read 5862 times)

Mike Arst

Problems with an X-Rite Pulse system
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:39:42 am »

Despite the problem described below, I've been able to use the X-Rite Pulse to make what seem like decent paper profiles (one baffling exception with Epson Heavyweight Matte...no idea why that profile is not so good).

I found out about an X-Rite Pulse system available in good condition and at a very decent price and bought it. There's a problem with installation, though. This happens every time I use the Pulse (under Win XP SP2). On plugging it into a powered USB port, I'm presented with XP's new-hardware "wizard," which churns away, finds apparently most of what it needs on the X-Rite installation CD, but then announces that a file failed to pass "Windows Logo Testing." It warns that clicking Continue could lead to system instability. I click Continue. Otherwise I can't use the device. More churn as the hardware "wizard" searches for something else. Eventually it announces a file-not-found error (with no clue given about what file it didn't find...no clue given about what file didn't pass "Windows Logo Testing," either).

Despite all this, by the time the error messages start appearing, X-Rite's software has launched automatically and it always seems to be communicating normally with the Pulse device. The hardware "wizard" tries to launch itself and start over a few more times but it can eventually be made to go away.

So using the Pulse requires constant use of the installation CD, which makes me kind of uneasy. If anyone Out There has had and solved such a problem with the Pulse system under Win XP -- how did you solve it? X-Rite's tech support people reply only that "you must have a problem with your operating system" and have suggested I view a web site where a solution to the problem is supposedly discussed. If the necessary information exists on the web site, damned if I can find it.

Thanks in advance for any advice about this.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 06:33:30 am »

Have you tried downloading an updated version of the software? That will typically fix such problems, as CDs unfortunately often ship with bugs in the software.

Mike Arst

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 01:50:17 pm »

Have you tried downloading an updated version of the software? That will typically fix such problems, as CDs unfortunately often ship with bugs in the software.
Unfortunately, as far as I can tell X-Rite no longer supports upgrading that system's software.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 03:11:15 pm »

Mike:  Did you have a failed or aborted install at any point?  What might be happening is Windows is looking for the device drivers either on the installation media, or system, or more than likely, both.

Next time you plug - see if the required files are already present on the system and point the installer / device wizard there . . .

hth - John

Mike Arst

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 01:14:05 am »

Mike:  Did you have a failed or aborted install at any point?
The sequence of events described in the first message also occurred the very first time I plugged in the hardware (and the same things have happened each time the hardware is connected via the USB port). But, installation of the software from the installation CD went without error as far as I could tell. That part was quick and painless.

What might be happening is Windows is looking for the device drivers either on the installation media, or system, or more than likely, both.
By any chance, would you know which filenames XP might be looking for? Or rather, what kinds of files? An .INF file, possibly? (There are a number of DLLs in the directory where the ColorElite software was installed, but no .INF files.)

There is a procedure to correct a problem specific to XP SP2 that is described in the release notes. I have tried it already (it involves updating the driver, though the notes don't say where the driver is located or what its name is), but perhaps I should give it another try...

Thanks,
Mike

Richowens

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 02:26:47 am »

Mike,

Try hereX-Rite driver

Rich

Mike Arst

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 04:09:26 am »

Mike,
Try hereX-Rite driver
 Rich
In several exchanges of e-mail, I don't think X-Rite's tech support department ever once mentioned that page. Thanks very much for the link!

-- Mike

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 09:35:06 am »

In several exchanges of e-mail, I don't think X-Rite's tech support department ever once mentioned that page. Thanks very much for the link!

-- Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170888\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If that doesn't work, let me know, I'll call in the big dogs at X-Rite to find an answer.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mike Arst

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 02:58:43 pm »

If that doesn't work, let me know, I'll call in the big dogs at X-Rite to find an answer.
Thanks kindly for offering this -- and if the download/re-install doesn't do the trick I will certainly take you up on the offer!

Mike

Mike Arst

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 04:59:01 pm »

Mike,
Try hereX-Rite driver
Rich
I removed the X-Rite distribution CD from the drive, then downloaded the file at the above link and unpacked the archive to a temporary directory, then plugged in the X-Rite DTP 20 device.

The Found-new-hardware "wizard" appeared as before. I unchecked all possible locations to search, the idea being to let the "wizard" do the searching throughout the system. Clicked NEXT.

Eventually I saw the now-familiar notice about the driver not passing Windows Logo Testing. Clicked CONTINUE, as before (otherwise, no installation!). Eventually the "wizard" announced that the hardware was installed. The Pulse ColorElite software launched.

To see what would happen afterward, I then removed the USB device (via the "safely remove hardware" item in the system "tray") and physically unplugged it. Waited a moment. Plugged it in again. This time the "hardware wizard" didn't appear, nor the notice about the driver having failed to pass Windows Logo testing.

So this appears to have worked. If any of the above seems incorrect, please advise. The business about "Logo testing" seems strange -- as in, why would X-Rite not have updated its drivers to fix this problem...if in fact it is a problem (as opposed to a bogus error message).

Thanks again. Much appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up