Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workflow/DAM, Mac Leopard/Time Machine  (Read 1177 times)

edt

• http://www.etimages.com
Workflow/DAM, Mac Leopard/Time Machine
« on: January 28, 2008, 09:02:06 pm »

dam, as in digital asset mgmt...

I am ordering a new computer in next couple of days, mac pro, to replace the old machine. I want to get off on  the right foot  with regard to file backups. Shoot a lot of youth sports, often with high number of images per event.

Let's assume the new computer has the main drive for programs, and two aux drives for file storage.

I shoot a sports event, maybe a baseball game--put the card in the card reader to download. Seems everybody talks about automatically downloading to two drives simultaneously. But I might shoot 450 raws at a ball game and WANT to delete all but 125 keepers. Don't want them on any drive. Til now, I simply download to the main drive, then delete--and AFTER I am down the keepers, I manually create a duplicate folder on the backup drive and copy the 125 or so keepers into that folder. Works, but inefficient.

Is there a way to "have my cake and eat it too?" Can I download all files to both drives at the same time, and delete the crappy ones from both of these "mirrored" drives as easily as I could from one drive?

Another nuance of this is that w/ Leopard, do I toggle that feature off during the download/edit process, then turn it on AFTER deleting? I want to be sure that Time Machine does not keep the deleted files anywhere--when I delete I want to delete.

Thanks for helping!

Ed T
Pages: [1]   Go Up