Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Nikon Bellows  (Read 5545 times)

cowboy

Old Nikon Bellows
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:39:06 am »

I have a Nikon F Model bellows from many years ago. Is it possible to adapt the unit to a Canon 5d or XTI? I understand in the best of cases I will be setting exposure and focus in manually. The camera side of the bellows is a bayonet type that fit Nikkormat slrs. The bellows takes 58mm lenses backwards screwed into the threads for filters. Is there any hope for this?

James Godman

• http://www.godman.com
Old Nikon Bellows
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:47:08 am »

Yes, this should work fine.  Just get a Nikon to Canon adapter.
James Godman
[url=http://www.godmanblog.

cowboy

Old Nikon Bellows
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:59:19 pm »

Thank you James for the quick response. A follow on question is will any Nikon to Canon adapter fit the old bellows. I am not familiar with Nikon, what should the adapter be called out as fitting on the Nikon side. There are a number of adapters available. I don't need one that will allow automated operation because of the application. Also on inspection, I observed that while I can mount my Canon lenses on the bellows there is no way I can figure out to stop down the lens. Am I missing something? I can stop down my old Nikkor lenses manually so the bellows still may be useful.

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Old Nikon Bellows
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 06:59:47 am »

Firstly, any Canon-Nikon adapter will work - Nikon have not changed their mount (pedants chip in and argue about pin placement here) since the inception of their mount  sometime late in the neolithic era.  Get a good one though - it will save you grief with focus errors and the like later.

Next thing - no - you can't stop your Canon lenses down - they don't have an aperture ring.  It doesn't matter - the autofocus isn't going to work on the bellows either.  If the lens screws on through the filter ring, use anything that you can get for cheap that is manual and has a good reputation.

cowboy

Old Nikon Bellows
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:59:59 am »

Thank you Situgrrl, Your reply put to rest the connection to the Canon question. I was aware that AF and AE were not an option, but are you saying there is no need to stop down when using the bellows? I have never used one and I am just really starting to get more serious about macro. I have used macro lenses and want to do more-that is if this winter wind ever stops blowing.

airchinapilot

Old Nikon Bellows
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 01:15:18 pm »

Thank you Situgrrl, Your reply put to rest the connection to the Canon question. I was aware that AF and AE were not an option, but are you saying there is no need to stop down when using the bellows? I have never used one and I am just really starting to get more serious about macro. I have used macro lenses and want to do more-that is if this winter wind ever stops blowing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170568\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As far as I know yes you need to stop down. There is no electronic contact between this and your camera. So you need to use full manual glass. This is what I do when I mount Carl Zeiss or Adaptall on my 30D. All of these are lenses with aperture and focus on the barrel.

cowboy

Old Nikon Bellows
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 02:46:12 pm »

As far as I know yes you need to stop down. There is no electronic contact between this and your camera. So you need to use full manual glass. This is what I do when I mount Carl Zeiss or Adaptall on my 30D. All of these are lenses with aperture and focus on the barrel.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170659\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you air. I do have two old Nikkor lenses a 50mm and a 135mm that are full manual and will fit the bill. I guess hanging on to those old manual Nikkors will pay off after all.

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Old Nikon Bellows
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 02:47:37 pm »

I have never shot macro in my life - it's not how I see though I admire much of the work others produce.  

I do have a reasonable technical grounding in photography however and can promise you that you need to stop down!  People with a stronger background than me in LF and macro work will be able to explain to you in more detail the problems that you will come up against with depth of field and focussing but suffice to say, depending on your subject matter and the enlargements you are expecting to make, it's going to be a hurdle.

Good luck with your project, I look forward to seeing the results.

PS - I don't go there often a the moment as I'm shooting available light right now - but Strobist has several macro types doing some cool stuff with light using car boot sale equipment, lenses from 1940something and araldite - well worth a look.

cowboy

Old Nikon Bellows
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 11:50:23 am »

I have never shot macro in my life - it's not how I see though I admire much of the work others produce. 

I do have a reasonable technical grounding in photography however and can promise you that you need to stop down!  People with a stronger background than me in LF and macro work will be able to explain to you in more detail the problems that you will come up against with depth of field and focussing but suffice to say, depending on your subject matter and the enlargements you are expecting to make, it's going to be a hurdle.

Good luck with your project, I look forward to seeing the results.

PS - I don't go there often a the moment as I'm shooting available light right now - but Strobist has several macro types doing some cool stuff with light using car boot sale equipment, lenses from 1940something and araldite - well worth a look.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170702\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you again situgrrl. I ordered the fitting needed to connect the bellows to my Canon. I do have two Nikkor lenses from long ago and therefore are manual. So I can at least get started while my big investment in my modern day lenses sit by and watch the struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up