Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filters for Canon lenses>>> everything from Lee?  (Read 1622 times)

amoergosum

Filters for Canon lenses>>> everything from Lee?
« on: January 28, 2008, 10:51:05 am »

Maybe someone can help me out.
I've been trying to figure out what exact filters I should purchase.

The things I would like to do:
- landscape photography with ND grads
- other photography with longer exposures at daylight (full ND grad)
- photography with a polarizer

I'm interested in the Lee system. I own three lenses which are:
Canon 24-105L, 16-35L II, 85/1.8.

So I'm asking myself> what is the best way to go filterwise. Apart from ND grads Lee offers a polarizer and full ND filters.
What would you do? I know that I would like to invest in Lee ND grad filters. But what about the polarizer? Would you recommend to purchase everything filterwise from Lee (all slide-in fillters) ? Or would you buy only the ND grads from Lee and a screw-on polarizer and a screw-on full ND filter from another brand (with stepup rings for the different lens diameters)? I'm a little confused with the different possibilities.

cheers,
Ben
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 10:51:18 am by amoergosum »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:06:40 am »

Those are big panes of glass to be putting in front of your camera.  How about a singh-ray variable neutral density filter?  Maybe a nice B+W kasseman polarizer.  Then use the lee for split ND filters.  (Or just hold them in front of the lens.)

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:43:27 pm »

Hi,

I have Lee and P-series Singh-Ray systems. After I got my 16-35f2.8L II, only the Lee would work with a polarizer, and not lower than 19-20mm at that.

The P-series vignette at anything below about 24-28mm with the sprocket type polarizer.

The Lee system can use polarizers in a few different ways. They can take a 105mm polarizer in a threaded ring mount that sits anterior to the filter slots--this vignettes before you even get down to 24mm. You can also thread a polarizer directly on to the mounting ring that the filter holder itself then mounts to--if you get a thin mount polarizer this will work down to 19-20mm.

Finally, if you buy a square 100mm glass polarizer you can have an optical technician grind it down to 100mm diameter circle that can now be slipped into one of the slots itself. This can be oriented with the required polarization as it is now round. This last way is not as convenient but has no vignetting right down to 16mm.
Dr D White DDS BSc
Pages: [1]   Go Up