Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3: Camera Raw and Bridge, no dialogue  (Read 10903 times)

effemmemi

CS3: Camera Raw and Bridge, no dialogue
« on: January 28, 2008, 04:31:04 am »

After purchasing the Nikon D300 I had to upgrade from CS2 to CS3 as former versions of photoshop are unable to manage the RAW files (NEF) generated by the new camera.

My problem is that, even having downloaded the 4.3.1 version of Camera Raw and having correctly installed it, there is no dialogue with bridge. I tried to reinstall CS3 as well.

I have a PC with wondows XP and my problem in details might be summarized as follows:

- I miss the Camera Raw preferences setting (under the edit menu in Bridge)

- Always in Bridge I cannot cut and paste (copy and apply) camera raw settings of one photo to others. Neither selecting the edit menu, nor with the mouse's right button.

The point is not only that these and similar selections do not work, but also that they do not even appear in the menus. The help resources, for instance, tell about a Edit > Develop Settings function that is not present in my menu.

Is it possible that there is any kind of conflict with Nikon capture NX? All the rest does seemingly work in bridge and Camera Raw: I can open NEF files generated by the D300 etc. etc. I tried to install my same copy of CS3 on my girlfriends PC and there everything is ok. Consider also that the similar function in CS2 has always worked (and still does) on my pc.

I'll be grateful to anyone able to help me,
francesco

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 05:47:32 am »

I think as you haven't been helped on Adobe forums you could be out of luck.
Have you completely uninstalled CS2? Sorry, but are you sure?
If you go to: C/Program Files/ Common Files/Adobe/Plugins/CS3/File Formats  ,do you see "Camera Raw.8bi" ?
Have you checked you have the latest version of Bridge?
Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. David

effemmemi

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:57:14 am »

I think as you haven't been helped on Adobe forums you could be out of luck.
Have you completely uninstalled CS2? Sorry, but are you sure?
If you go to: C/Program Files/ Common Files/Adobe/Plugins/CS3/File Formats  ,do you see "Camera Raw.8bi" ?
Have you checked you have the latest version of Bridge?
Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170192\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Adobe forum was helpless.
- no I have not uninstalled CS2 at all. I only uninstalled and reinstalled CS3. CS2 is the only properly working programme, and Adobe herself never mentioned the need of uninstalling the former version. Do you think I should uninstall it?
- I should have the latest version as I updated it thruogh bridge itself. In any case my cs3 works on another computer (who does not have cs2 installed. That must be said)
- yes Camera Raw (latest version) is in the right place.
thanks so far

Raw shooter

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:25:48 am »

- no I have not uninstalled CS2 at all. I only uninstalled and reinstalled CS3. CS2 is the only properly working programme, and Adobe herself never mentioned the need of uninstalling the former version. Do you think I should uninstall it?
- I should have the latest version as I updated it thruogh bridge itself. In any case my cs3 works on another computer (who does not have cs2 installed. That must be said)
- yes Camera Raw (latest version) is in the right place.
thanks so far
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170193\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have had this problem too. Delete your Bridge CS3 preferences.  Adobe's site shows how to do this process.  After, just open Bridge CS3 and you will see all the entries back under Edt> prefences.

BTW, Bridge CS3 will crawl with D300 NEF files.  Lots of problems with both of the new Nikon cameras (D3 too).

01af

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 09:08:57 am »

While upgrading from Photoshop CS/CS2 to CS3 sure is a worthwhile thing simply for the added Camera Raw functionality (which goes far beyond just added camera support) and improved Bridge, it is NOT required to do the upgrade just in order to have the latest digital cameras' raw formats supported.

You can just as well download only the latest Adobe DNG Converter (a small, free, standalone program), use it to losslessly convert your NEF raw files (or whatever your camera's proprietary raw file format happens to be) into DNG raw files, and keep using CS or CS2.

That said, CS3 sure is better than CS2 overall---so even when you have upgraded for the wrong reasons, your money still is not wasted ...  

-- Olaf

effemmemi

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 09:23:15 am »

I'm sure CS3 is a better solution in many ways. That wasn't my point, my poitn is that it doesn't work as it should with reguard to the problem described.

I already reset camera raw preferences....nothing happend!

KeithR

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 10:05:33 am »

I'm sure CS3 is a better solution in many ways. That wasn't my point, my poitn is that it doesn't work as it should with reguard to the problem described.

I already reset camera raw preferences....nothing happend!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In addition to upgrading CS3 to v10.0.1, and ACR to v4.3.1 did you also download and install the upgrade to Bridge(v2.1.1)? Many people think that upgrading CS3 will automaticaly upgrade Bridge, but that is not the case. It is a separate upgrade from CS3 and has to be done per Adobe's instructions.
Here is the link to the Bridge update for windows:
[a href=\"http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=108&platform=Windows]http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/pro...latform=Windows[/url]
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 12:43:29 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170193\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, no, it wasn't...first off you didn't post what your OS was initially, second, while you CLAIM Camera Raw 4.3.1 is properly installed, it's still not clear that on your machine, it is (the fact that everything works on another computer is a real clue that your own computer is screwed up) and thirdly, you never responded whether or not you HAD indeed reset the Bridge preferences. The fact that your problem wasn't "fixed" doesn't mean that the posters on the User to User forum didn't try to help. So, unless you can confirm that CR is properly installed, that you have rest the preferences for Bridge and then purged the cache for that folder where the D300 images live, then you haven't fully addressed your own issue. Again the fact that it all works on your girlfriends machine (something you didn't mention on the U>U forum) is a pretty good indication that you did something wrong on your machine.

effemmemi

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 01:28:41 pm »

Actually, no, it wasn't...first off you didn't post what your OS was initially, second, while you CLAIM Camera Raw 4.3.1 is properly installed, it's still not clear that on your machine, it is (the fact that everything works on another computer is a real clue that your own computer is screwed up) and thirdly, you never responded whether or not you HAD indeed reset the Bridge preferences. The fact that your problem wasn't "fixed" doesn't mean that the posters on the User to User forum didn't try to help. So, unless you can confirm that CR is properly installed, that you have rest the preferences for Bridge and then purged the cache for that folder where the D300 images live, then you haven't fully addressed your own issue. Again the fact that it all works on your girlfriends machine (something you didn't mention on the U>U forum) is a pretty good indication that you did something wrong on your machine.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170299\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

first)
I specyfied my os in the second thread and also explained why I did not tell it at once.
second)
In my thread dating 3:23am Jan 22, 08 PST (#4 of 13) While answering mr ScheweI told I reset camera raw preferences etc. etc.

But why am I telling you all this? My english might be not perfect as I'm Italian, but I'm not stupid. I've been handling computers for over twenty years and I cannot see how I can do everything right on one computer and everything wrong on another. I never said the posters on the user to user forum did not try to help me. I said I did not find a solution there.

I cannot understand why you feel adressed by the fact that I'm still with he problem.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 02:08:40 pm »

first)
While answering mr ScheweI told I reset camera raw preferences etc. etc.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170310\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But I told you to reset the BRIDGE preferences...not Camera Raw preferences...if making sure you have properly installed Camera Raw 4.3.1, then reseting the BRIDGE preferences and then purging the cache for that folder (with the D300 images) doesn't work, then it's a unique problem on YOUR machine (which is reinforced by the statement that is works on your girl friend's computer).

I never said the posters on the user to user forum did not try to help me. I said I did not find a solution there.

Well, you said the U>U forum was "helpless" which I took to mean as "useless", so perhaps it is indeed a matter of language.

David Sutton

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 08:00:56 pm »

first)

But why am I telling you all this? My english might be not perfect as I'm Italian, but I'm not stupid. I've been handling computers for over twenty years and I cannot see how I can do everything right on one computer and everything wrong on another.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170310\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sometimes I think I'm not stupid as well. After all, I did well in computer meteorology in the early 1970's (programming with punch cards). Three years after coming back into computers I still regularly find myself staring at a Windows screen and being completely unable to make the damn thing work and feeling like a child dribbling from the mouth and wetting myself. So speaking just for myself I don't have much patience left when it comes to this stuff not working (again), and offering help (for what it's  worth) and being polite as well is too much to ask  . Now have you followed the advice of HeWhoHasHideOfRhino and reset your Bridge preferences etc? Others who will have this problem will like to know.

effemmemi

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 02:09:10 am »

Well, you said the U>U forum was "helpless" which I took to mean as "useless", so perhaps it is indeed a matter of language.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170316\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

that is what I meant: helpless or useless = I could not solve the problem so far.

It was only the statement about a mere matter of fact. Beyond this I realize that in these forums I find very competent and committed people who provide help and advice...for free.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:40:00 am by effemmemi »

effemmemi

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 02:12:10 am »

Sometimes I think I'm not stupid as well. After all, I did well in computer meteorology in the early 1970's (programming with punch cards). Three years after coming back into computers I still regularly find myself staring at a Windows screen and being completely unable to make the damn thing work and feeling like a child dribbling from the mouth and wetting myself. So speaking just for myself I don't have much patience left when it comes to this stuff not working (again), and offering help (for what it's  worth) and being polite as well is too much to ask  . Now have you followed the advice of HeWhoHasHideOfRhino and reset your Bridge preferences etc? Others who will have this problem will like to know.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170418\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes I did. I followed every advice given to me so far. As I ecountered others with the problem and without a stated solution yet (even one on the adobe forum), I'll keep stick to the matter and keep reporting on further steps.

effemmemi

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 02:15:25 am »

In addition to upgrading CS3 to v10.0.1, and ACR to v4.3.1 did you also download and install the upgrade to Bridge(v2.1.1)? Many people think that upgrading CS3 will automaticaly upgrade Bridge, but that is not the case. It is a separate upgrade from CS3 and has to be done per Adobe's instructions.
Here is the link to the Bridge update for windows:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/pro...latform=Windows
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170244\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks. This links me to a 2.1.1 version. Mine is 2.1.1.9. Should I download it anyway?

David Sutton

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 04:17:54 am »

thanks. This links me to a 2.1.1 version. Mine is 2.1.1.9. Should I download it anyway?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, mine is 2.1.1.9 and works fine. Furthermore, no matter what I remove from the Bridge program or plugin file, or how I try to mess it up, I can't get the "Develop Settings" or "Camera Raw Preferences" not to show, they are only greyed out. It seems to keep coming back to the installation.

effemmemi

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 05:37:05 am »

No, mine is 2.1.1.9 and works fine. Furthermore, no matter what I remove from the Bridge program or plugin file, or how I try to mess it up, I can't get the "Develop Settings" or "Camera Raw Preferences" not to show, they are only greyed out. It seems to keep coming back to the installation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170525\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mumble, mumble! Following an advice I'm thinking of formating the computer and reinstalling all from scratch. Windows xp, programs CS2 and in the end CS3!

What I fear is spending half a day working and realizing that the problem persists.

David Sutton

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 03:21:43 pm »

mumble, mumble! Following an advice I'm thinking of formating the computer and reinstalling all from scratch. Windows xp, programs CS2 and in the end CS3!

What I fear is spending half a day working and realizing that the problem persists.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170532\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I would uninstall all the Adobe products and the Nikon capture. Then I'd check C/Program Files/Adobe and Common Files/Adobe and also C/Documents and Settings/User Name/Application Data/Adobe and make sure everything has gone. Then run a registry cleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/ is free and works). Then I'd install CS3 and see what happens. I wouldn't touch CS2 until CS3 is working, as if that is causing the problem you will be back where you started. As for Windows Xp, that is a bit extreme, though sometimes I would like to uninstall it with gelignite. David
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:22:46 pm by Taquin »

effemmemi

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 09:59:52 am »

I would uninstall all the Adobe products and the Nikon capture. Then I'd check C/Program Files/Adobe and Common Files/Adobe and also C/Documents and Settings/User Name/Application Data/Adobe and make sure everything has gone. Then run a registry cleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/ is free and works). Then I'd install CS3 and see what happens. I wouldn't touch CS2 until CS3 is working, as if that is causing the problem you will be back where you started. As for Windows Xp, that is a bit extreme, though sometimes I would like to uninstall it with gelignite. David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170717\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Taquin. This will be my occupation for the evening.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 12:21:57 pm »

If you're running Nikon software, get rid of it first and that may solve your problem. Nikon installs its own RAW plug-in that may be interfering with ACR.
Pages: [1]   Go Up