Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New 3800 Print markings  (Read 2128 times)

evonzz

• CENTRAL STUDIOS
New 3800 Print markings
« on: January 28, 2008, 03:48:32 am »

I have just unpacked and fired up a new Epson 3800C.  The first few prints i have done have both come up with an unusual marking across the same position the length of the sheet.  I have never seen a marking like this before from an inkjet.  The example image in this post also shows a massive smudge the likes of which i have also never seen before.

The first two prints were made using some older Epson paper stock that perhaps did not correspond correctly to the installed profiles. So i ran another print using Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper 240 and the applicable Premium Luster profile was selected.  The same markings appeared with ink smudges along the marked route.

The image attached was the second print made on A4 Photo gloss ( quite a standard, not fine art paper), but for reference, perhaps someone can assist in identifying what may be causing those markings across the wing leading to the smudge.

I did run the Head Cleaning utility before my third print and the test print showed no gaps. Are these the marks of a razor edged roller?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 03:55:41 am by evonzz »

duraace

New 3800 Print markings
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:37:03 am »

I have just unpacked and fired up a new Epson 3800C.  The first few prints i have done have both come up with an unusual marking across the same position the length of the sheet.  I have never seen a marking like this before from an inkjet.  The example image in this post also shows a massive smudge the likes of which i have also never seen before.

The first two prints were made using some older Epson paper stock that perhaps did not correspond correctly to the installed profiles. So i ran another print using Epson Premium Luster Photo Paper 240 and the applicable Premium Luster profile was selected.  The same markings appeared with ink smudges along the marked route.

The image attached was the second print made on A4 Photo gloss ( quite a standard, not fine art paper), but for reference, perhaps someone can assist in identifying what may be causing those markings across the wing leading to the smudge.

I did run the Head Cleaning utility before my third print and the test print showed no gaps. Are these the marks of a razor edged roller?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170185\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Head strikes are owing to too small paper thickness specified or too narrow platen gaps. Prem luster should be 3 and Auto. Another reason would be paper not being flat.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:04:35 pm by duraace »

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
New 3800 Print markings
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 04:46:39 pm »

You may want to check that you've removed all the blue tape, too. They're sneaking about where they hide it.

evonzz

• CENTRAL STUDIOS
New 3800 Print markings
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 03:43:44 am »

Head strikes are owing to too small paper thickness specified or too narrow platen gaps. Prem luster should be 3 and Auto. Another reason would be paper not being flat.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170272\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seems head strike was the cause. platen gap increased to wide and no more problem. I dont understand why this wasnt auto adjusted.    
In addition, i have everything centred on print with preview window and printer dialogs, but the image comes out off centre to the left.  (A3 Epson Premium Luster). Anyone?

duraace

New 3800 Print markings
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 12:31:34 pm »

Seems head strike was the cause. platen gap increased to wide and no more problem. I dont understand why this wasnt auto adjusted.   
In addition, i have everything centred on print with preview window and printer dialogs, but the image comes out off centre to the left.  (A3 Epson Premium Luster). Anyone?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had this problem originally, and I forget exactly how I corrected it, but I seem to recall it was a setting in the driver, so check the "Paper Handling" drop down.  I have "Scale to fit paper size" unchecked and "scale down only" checked (although this setting may be ignored if the other is unchecked).  My prints are always centered.

Re: Head strikes.  The most important thing with the 3800 is to make sure the paper is very flat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up