Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Giottos vs. Gitzo tripod (sand in threads)  (Read 4546 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Giottos vs. Gitzo tripod (sand in threads)
« on: January 28, 2008, 01:14:21 am »

I own a Giottos carbon fiber tripod. Recently I used it for a 3-week trek to the west. It worked well, until I was shooting on sand dunes, on a windy day. During the shoot, sand got in the threads (that connect the leg sections together). Once I got home, I took them apart and carefully blew out the sand particles. The sand, and the twisting motion from tightening/loosening the leg sections, had worn and scratched the plastic threads. Therefore, one of the legs isn't as smooth in it's operation (as it was when it was new).

First off, the threads shouldn't be plastic in my opinion. But I notice that Gitzo uses plastic threads too. And it looks like sand can get into the threads of the Gitzo just like my Giottos. I would think that someone would make a tripod that's "sealed" to dust and sand.

I had planned on replacing my Giottos tripod with a Gitzo. Now I'm not so sure.

Thoughts and/or comments please.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 01:18:50 am by bellimages »
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Giottos vs. Gitzo tripod (sand in threads)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:23:51 am »

I own a Giottos carbon fiber tripod. Recently I used it for a 3-week trek to the west. It worked well, until I was shooting on sand dunes, on a windy day. During the shoot, sand got in the threads (that connect the leg sections together). Once I got home, I took them apart and carefully blew out the sand particles. The sand, and the twisting motion from tightening/loosening the leg sections, had worn and scratched the plastic threads. Therefore, one of the legs isn't as smooth in it's operation (as it was when it was new).

First off, the threads shouldn't be plastic in my opinion. But I notice that Gitzo uses plastic threads too. And it looks like sand can get into the threads of the Gitzo just like my Giottos. I would think that someone would make a tripod that's "sealed" to dust and sand.

I had planned on replacing my Giottos tripod with a Gitzo. Now I'm not so sure.

Thoughts and/or comments please.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170164\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Love my Giottos MT8170 Carbon Fiber tripod!  I've had mine in less than desireable conditions, and found it relatively easy to take apart and clean.  I would think that you should be able to get replacement parts for a damaged piece.  One thing nice about the Giottos---less expensive than the Gitzo, so I don't hesitate to use the tripod in less than favorable conditions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up