Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: crop help  (Read 3566 times)

gunnar1

crop help
« on: January 27, 2008, 03:59:52 pm »

I'm not asking for a critique on this image, primarily because I have not decided what to do with it, if anything. Normally, I have a feel for how I want to crop an image (if at all) but this one is giving me fits. I like it several ways, and uncropped.

What would you do?

[attachment=4928:attachment]

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
crop help
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 05:53:32 pm »

Personally I'd go on to the next image and leave that one.  Too many distracting elements.  If I was going to crop it I'd do a vertical crop of the centre section, removing the round building on the right, and going as far left as just before the reflection of the pyramid-topped post.  Then you'll have to do a correction because the vertical elements are leaning to the left...

My $0.02

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

gunnar1

crop help
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 11:56:19 pm »

Perhaps that is why I am stuck on it- I should move on.

Thanks for your input.

Pat

TMcCulley

• http://
crop help
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 12:32:06 am »

Perhaps that is why I am stuck on it- I should move on.

Thanks for your input.

Pat
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170153\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why not crop it several ways and use each appropriately?  There is no reason to accept one version when more than one is present.  I find the whole image interesting and if published very large would entertain the eye in a several but logical ways.

Tom

TMcCulley

• http://
crop help
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 01:50:22 am »

I'm not asking for a critique on this image, primarily because I have not decided what to do with it, if anything. Normally, I have a feel for how I want to crop an image (if at all) but this one is giving me fits. I like it several ways, and uncropped.

What would you do?

[attachment=4928:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170046\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Imagine for a moment that you wanted to print this at 20 x 30 on a 24 x 36 smooth fine art paper uncropped.  There is that feel of leaning you could fix and you might want to punch up the sunrise color a little bit.  There are many elements but they all seem to work together to create a multilayered image that a viewer can enjoy on several levels.

What I am getting at is I think this picture needs to be big.  An 8 x 12 is not going to cut it.

Tom

gunnar1

crop help
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 06:19:26 pm »

Thanks for your help Tom. I do have a version that I have worked on to bring a bit more vibrance to the sunrise among other small improvements. At present, I am using a 13x19 printer, so that is as big as I can go at home.

I posted the two different shots primarily because no one ever sees my work before it is cropped (and I crop most images at least a bit it seems), so I am left wondering whether I did the right thing. I like to expand my horizons as it were by finding out what others might do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up