Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next step for archive storage  (Read 35585 times)

Ray

Next step for archive storage
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 08:56:48 pm »

Not really; the OP specified that he's shooting 20GB in a typical day with his 1Ds-MkIII.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173864\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I know. I'm really addressing the archival benefits in conjunction with media costs here. For 20Gb of data a day, DVDs are too troublesome and, for me, Blu-ray discs are presently too expensive. However, the extra time involved in recording a day's work on a single Blu-ray disc whilst one takes a shower or watches CNN news should not be any great impediment if the archival qualities of optical media appeal to one.

However, I can understand that those who have already had a bad experience with the longevity of optical discs would not be interested.

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2008, 01:33:55 pm »

Yes, I know. I'm really addressing the archival benefits in conjunction with media costs here. For 20Gb of data a day, DVDs are too troublesome and, for me, Blu-ray discs are presently too expensive. However, the extra time involved in recording a day's work on a single Blu-ray disc whilst one takes a shower or watches CNN news should not be any great impediment if the archival qualities of optical media appeal to one.

However, I can understand that those who have already had a bad experience with the longevity of optical discs would not be interested.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Optical is both too expensive and slow.

This is where I am headed....

[a href=\"http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/externe_gehaeuse/sata_quickport/index_en.html]http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/exte...t/index_en.html[/url]

I can easily generate 30Gb by the end of a project/shoot with the Aptus 75.  So I'll be adopting the principle of archiving all the RAWs off to an HD via one of these (multiple copies of course)

Then I'll just keep first selects and derived files online.

eSATA is a wonderful thing.

Then you just need a way of storing all the SATA drives. No problem.

Currently I'm using the Samsung 500Gb drives as they are a good price and come in plastic transparent boxes which are protective and stackable.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Ray

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2008, 06:31:34 pm »

Optical is both too expensive and slow.

I can easily generate 30Gb by the end of a project/shoot with the Aptus 75.  So I'll be adopting the principle of archiving all the RAWs off to an HD via one of these (multiple copies of course)

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176699\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If I were in your situation I'd probably do the same. 30GB is a lot to handle. I rarely shoot more in one day than can fit on a single DVD. Looking into the future, I expect my next camera might be around 24mp, by which time recordable Blu-ray will be more affordable. One single sided, single layered Blu-ray disc would then hold 2 to 3 days of shooting at my current maximum rate doubled.

I just recently had a look at some of my first recordings to CD-R made in early 1999. They are recordings of my first attempts at scanning with my first scanner, the Nikon LS-2000, and because the scans were not too good and the film has all been rescanned later with better scanners, I never bothered transferring the files to DVD.

I was curious as to how these discs would withstand scrutiny with Nero's analysis tools. Have any errors crept in or damage to the disc surface occurred?

None whatsoever, if these tools are credible. No errors found; no glitches and no damage to surfaces. Some of the discs were apparently nondescript bargains and Nero is unable to identify the manufacturer, but they still read perfectly 9 years later.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up