Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus  (Read 19924 times)

tomholland

• http://www.tomhollandphoto.com
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 02:59:08 pm »

Granted i am a dedicated leaf user, I once had to use a phase, and although I didn't have any glitches it seems there is too much in-built sharpening that you cannot turn off. This may be ok for some subjects, but I felt with my people shots, it just looked to "digital".  I think this is the reason that everyone thinks the Leaf files look more  natural and film like. I would much rather have the choice to add more sharpening then be in a situation where I cannot dial it down.

Just my own observation

TMARK

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 06:58:15 pm »

Hi TMARK

Indeed is tough choosing. Is not A65 same as A75, only smaller sensor size, thus newer technology and same performance as A75?

From your experience is thus P30 useable at one stop higher ISO than A65/A75?

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170177\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Anders,

The P30 has very usable ISO 400.  I just received my P30+ a few hours ago.  ISO 800 is very usable, very film like grain structure.  The speed increase over the P30 is noticable to me.  Nice bonus

I LOVE the A75, but for some reason I found the A65 lacking.  Nice color, but 200 looked bad.  This was just my sample.  I know some people love their A65.

As to the comments on C1 and sharpening, I think this is over played.  People seem to be saying that Leaf is the only back for people, mainly because the color from the Leaf is superior and C1 doesn't let you leave your files neutral.  I call BS on these claims.  You can turn sharpening off in C1, but the default curves add contrast to the file.  Just go linear and have a custom curve. Leaf defaults to excellent color, LC 11 does a really nice job with color for fashion and catalogue work.  Great!  You can set up C1 to do the same thing, but you have set the defaults.  Use color editor to make a profile.  Disable sharpening, choose a linear curve and make your own custom curves from there.  You can also use Lightroom or Raw Developer or whatever converter floats your boat to get you where you want to be.

The difference among all the backs is really noise, exposure times, and workflow.  There are other issues as well, but these are pretty minor.

amsp

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 07:07:17 pm »

Granted i am a dedicated leaf user, I once had to use a phase, and although I didn't have any glitches it seems there is too much in-built sharpening that you cannot turn off. This may be ok for some subjects, but I felt with my people shots, it just looked to "digital".  I think this is the reason that everyone thinks the Leaf files look more  natural and film like. I would much rather have the choice to add more sharpening then be in a situation where I cannot dial it down.

Just my own observation
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170329\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Again, not even remotely true. There is no in-camera sharpening on phase files. Maybe you left some default sharpening on in your RAW developer or something. If anything (like most digital cameras) they are slightly soft when opened but become tack sharp with minimal sharpening applied.

As for leaf being more film like is just utter nonsense, they are both digital capture devices and you can get whatever look you want with the right editing in post, it has nothing to do with the camera brand. What people seem to forget over and over again is that digital RAW files have no "look", it's all decided in your RAW program and further editing in PS. It's not like film which had certain chemical properties that created one look or another.

Enough with the myth-spreading already.

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 07:28:43 pm »

Thanks to clarify something which to I adhere 100%

Thierry

Enough with the myth-spreading already.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170401\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 07:31:21 pm »

A seeming trivial issue to throw in, but important; what about 10-15 sec start up time of Leaf vs. the sleeping mode of Phase? Any comments on them for actual shooting?

Also seems many recommend P30 vs. A65, yet A65 is supposedly a crop of identic sensor of A75, and seems A75 is highly regarded over P30??

Thus... much appreciate more info, on above and all else. Thanks!

Regards
Anders

Dansk

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 07:52:51 pm »

What people seem to forget over and over again is that digital RAW files have no "look", it's all decided in your RAW program and further editing in PS.

I absolutely agree. FWIW if real world usage is any indication I can tell you this much with a pretty experienced and informed viewpoint. A large portion of the MAJOR commercial studios in NA use Phase. This is the environments where abuse really happens. Photographers who dont own their own gear but use it daily. No one will care for stuff they do not own as if it were their own and if they do its the exception not the rule. No I do not work for Phase I just think the quote above is true.

FWIW if anyone here wants a certain look? PM me and I'll connect you with a couple retouchers that can turn water into wine and have done so for campaigns you have likely seen and admired.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 07:53:20 pm by Dansk »

H1/A75 Guy

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 08:21:12 pm »

Thus... much appreciate more info, on above and all else. Thanks!

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170409\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Anders,
No offense, but you've been on this forum long enough and have heretofore displayed enough MFDB 'intelligence' to be able to make your own decision. It may be fun for you, but for the rest of us I assure you, this nonsense debate is a pain in the ass. Why don't you just buy whatever it is you think you want. We can't help you, buy what you are going to buy, you can't go wrong. and get off it already!
Thanks,
David
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:27:11 pm by H1/A75 Guy »

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 08:47:19 pm »

Anders,
No offense, but you've been on this forum long enough and have heretofore displayed enough MFDB 'intelligence' to be able to make your own decision. It may be fun for you, but for the rest of us I assure you, this nonsense debate is a pain in the ass. Why don't you just buy whatever it is you think you want. We can't help you, buy what you are going to buy, you can't go wrong. and get off it already!
Thanks,
David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170424\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

David

No offense taken. This thread has yielded ALOT of good info for me, it is current still circulating in my brain  

Much thanks to all.

Regards
Anders

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 09:29:59 pm »

Anders,
Thanks,
David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170424\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

People here are more irritable these days - is it the weather ?
Maybe we need more participants from the summering southern hemisphere.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

marcmccalmont

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 09:46:54 pm »

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170438\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe some Hawaiian sunshine will help (this is how bad winters are here!).
Marc
[attachment=4941:attachment]
Marc McCalmont

Sean H

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2008, 12:00:23 am »

Maybe some Hawaiian sunshine will help (this is how bad winters are here!).
Marc

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170447\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey Marc, rainbows are ok but could you post a pic of the turquoise water/surf from your island (on this or another thread)? That would be appreciated by those of us enduring the dull gray of a cloudy and rainy Winter. As little as 10 years ago we used to have much colder temperatures with snow on the ground that would reflect more light in the air brightening our short days. Now as the planet gets warmer and with rain instead of snow, the light is more gray....and dull.

Sean
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:00:48 am by Sean H »

marcmccalmont

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2008, 01:57:54 am »

Hey Marc, rainbows are ok but could you post a pic of the turquoise water/surf from your island (on this or another thread)? That would be appreciated by those of us enduring the dull gray of a cloudy and rainy Winter. As little as 10 years ago we used to have much colder temperatures with snow on the ground that would reflect more light in the air brightening our short days. Now as the planet gets warmer and with rain instead of snow, the light is more gray....and dull.

Sean
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170475\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sure
Hows this one?
Marc
[attachment=4943:attachment]
Marc McCalmont

marcmccalmont

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 02:00:03 am »

Sean
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170475\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Or this one?
Marc
[attachment=4944:attachment]
Marc McCalmont

Sean H

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 03:02:22 am »

Thanks Marc -- exactly what I needed !!

Sean

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 03:05:04 am »

I was in Maui last month. same area at sunrise and an hour or so before sunset.  [attachment=4945:attachment][attachment=4946:attachment][attachment=4946:attachm
ent]
Or this one?
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170504\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sean H

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2008, 03:07:11 am »

Its late here and I'm tired and I didn't realise that there are two Marks/marcs here -- so thanks to both of you.

Axel recently told me about getting up really early to capture the light at dawn and I can see from your photo that he's right.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2008, 03:26:42 am »

Or this one?
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170504\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hehe.... thanks for your TORTURE photos guys, I am in office still 7 more work days  . Then off 6-25 Feb to India & Sweden (incl one night in Bangkok), thus reason I desperate am trying settle on my back before.

Oh, in March I am off 3-4 weeks to lovely Boracay in Philippines... beautiful sunsets..., cheap, tropical beach, camera and some books, did I say cheap place?... just before my new relocation in Asia...  

Sunshine, sunshine, sand, palms... water...  

Ehh... Phase vs. Leaf?????

Anders
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:40:46 am by Anders_HK »

marcmccalmont

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2008, 04:11:09 am »

Hehe.... thanks for your TORTURE photos guys, I am in office still 7 more work days  . Then off 6-25 Feb to India & Sweden (incl one night in Bangkok), thus reason I desperate am trying settle on my back before.

Oh, in March I am off 3-4 weeks to lovely Boracay in Philippines... beautiful sunsets..., cheap, tropical beach, camera and some books, did I say cheap place?... just before my new relocation in Asia...   

Sunshine, sunshine, sand, palms... water...   

Ehh... Phase vs. Leaf?????

Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170518\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There probably isn't a wrong decision?
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2008, 07:22:51 am »

There probably isn't a wrong decision?
Marc
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Marc,

I think you are right; either Phase, Leaf (lets not forget Sinar & Hassy) are seeming very good. It comes down to pros, cons and preferences. This thread certainly has been informative. For anyone else considering here are two older good threads;

[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11866&st=0]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....opic=11866&st=0[/url]
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=20790

Now the images posted of warm landscapes... that reminds of actual photography  

Kind thanks to all who have posted!!!

>>> RAW files of P30 and A65 much desired -> www.yousendit.com, attach link to private message.  <<<
Sincere thanks + Please  

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 08:36:22 am by Anders_HK »

David WM

• http://
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2008, 07:52:31 am »

Hey the weather is great here, not always good... I'm on crutches for the week after tearing my calf muscle at the beach last weekend.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170438\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up